Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2010-11 fixture list
Aberdeen 5 - 0 Kilmarnock
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Vernon 14, Aluko 24, Maguire 59, McArdle 70, Magennis 82.        
Attendance: 7,371 (Visitors: 345)
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Five Star Display From Rampant Dons
Magennis celebrates the fifth goal at PittodrieAberdeen went nap this afternoon as they defeated Kilmarnock 5-0. This was the first time Aberdeen had hit five in an SPL match since 2000. Langfield made a couple of great saves early on to build the foundation then Aberdeen went ahead in the 15th minute as Vernon prodded home from close range. A second followed ten minutes later when Aluko showed quick feet before drilling the ball past Bell. The scoring continued after the break when Maguire added a third from the spot then Vernon set up McArdle for the fourth. Substitute Magennis completed the route to send the fans home happy.

Aberdeen kicked off in windy conditions although thankfully the rain had eased. In the second minute Maguire had a half chance when he picked up the ball on the edge of the box. He tried to feed Vernon but the ball was intercepted. Two minutes later Aluko weaved his way down the left, but the cross was too strong and Maguire was forced to collect wide on the right. His cross was more dangerous, but Vernon handled, ending the threat.

Vernon makes it 1-0In the 7th minute Kilmarnock won a free kick in a dangerous area and Langfield was forced into a fine save from Eremenko to concede the first corner of the match. The set play came to nothing and a minute later Aberdeen won a free kick in a similar position but the ball was missed by everyone. There was controversy at the other end when Agard almost capitalised on indecision at the back, but having lost his chance he appeared to take a dive and won another free kick on the edge of the box. Once again Langfield made a great save from Eremenko.

This had been a lively start and Aberdeen were soon back on the attack where Aluko forced the Dons first corner. It was easily cleared, but in the 15th Aberdeen went ahead when the ball was worked well on the right. Jack delivered an initial cost that was easily cleared before the ball was played back to him. His second cross, to be fair, wasn't much better, but dogged work from Vernon allowed him to force the ball past Bell. Three minutes later Langfield made another good stop before Aberdeen had two chances within a minute.

Aluko fires home the secondMaguire should have made it 2-0 in the 20th minute when Aluko played a through ball and the youngster had time to tee up his shot, but drilled it wide with only Bell to beat. A minute later a Jack shot took a deflection and was looping into the net when Bell tipped the ball over the bar. The second goal was only delayed until the 25th minute when seconds after Aluko was denied a penalty kick claim, he showed great footwork and drilled the ball into the far corner of the net. Aberdeen had the bit between the teeth now and Jack delivered another tasty cross in the 29th minute, but no one attacked the ball.

A long range effort from Aluko failed to test Bell then Jack and Maguire combined well as Aberdeen looked for a killer third. Kilmarnock fired a warning in the 32nd minute when Kelly was given too much space and fired wide of Langfield's goal. A minute later Maguire made a great turn, but tried for goal from a narrow angle and hit the side netting. Aberdeen were looking impressive still and the Kilmarnock back four were constantly on the back foot. Aluko showed some magic again in the 40th minute, but his through ball to Vernon found the striker in an offside position.

Maguire makes it three from the spotThe first yellow card of the game was shown to McArdle in the 43rd minute as he conceded a soft free kick on the right. Fortunately the free kick was played short and the cross was too long for the Killie attack. Maguire was chasing a long ball from Langfield as the referee brought proceedings to an end. That had been one of the best forty five minutes of football from Aberdeen this season and the 7,000 fans inside Pittodrie were looking for more of the same after the break.

Kilmarnock made a double change at the interval and the visitor's had an early chance that was scrambled clear. Kilmarnock had started the half well, but Aberdeen had a great chance in the 51st minute when a through ball to Vernon presented a chance. However the striker delayed and the ball was booted clear. A minute later Kilmarnock won the first corner of the half, but the set play was comfortably defended. A second Killie corner followed in the 55th minute, but the Dons were standing firm.

McArdle gets in on the act to make it 4-0More great play from Aluko won Aberdeen a free kick on the edge of the box in the 58th minute. Sissoko earned a yellow card for his troubles, but Maguire floated the effort wide. A minute later Aberdeen won a penalty when Maguire outpaced Wright as he chased a McNamee through ball. Wright, who was last man, tripped the youngster and the referee awarded a spot kick. The defender was lucky to escape with only a yellow, but Maguire made no mistake from the spot to make it 3-0.

A free kick in the 68th minute was threaded through by Milsom, but the Killie defence thwarted the chance. Three minutes later Aberdeen extended their lead when a corner was played back across the goal by Vernon to allow McArdle to prod the ball into the net. Six minutes later Kilmarnock carved out a rare chance when Gross fired the ball across the face of the Aberdeen goal. At the other end Aluko had a chance as he juggled the ball inside the Killie area, but slipped at the wrong time.

Paton replaced Young in the 77th minute and three minutes later Magennis replaced Milsom. Aberdeen went nap in the 82nd minute as substitute Magennis grabbed his first SPL goal after Hay slipped and the youngster calmly passed the ball beyond the keeper. The other substitute, Michael Paton, won a corner in the 84th minute, but the ball was scrambled clear as Aberdeen threatened to make it six. With three minutes remaining Myles Anderson made his debut as he replaced Aluko. There were no further incidents and Aberdeen ran out comfortable winners.

Magennis rounds it off to make it 5-0

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Langfield, McNamee, McArdle, Diamond, Smith, Jack, Young (Paton 77), Milsom (Magennis 80), Aluko (Anderson 88), Vernon, Maguire.

Unused Subs: Howard, Blackman, Shaughnessy, Robertson.

Bookings:  McArdle (43),  Smith (90).

Kilmarnock Teamsheet:  Cameron Bell, Tim Clancy, Mohamadou Sissoko, Frazer Wright, Garry Hay, Alexei Eremenko, Rui Miguel (Manuel Pascali 46), Craig Bryson (William Gros 65), Liam Kelly (Jamie Hamill 46), Mehdi Taouil, Kieran Agard.

Unused Subs: David Silva, Anssi Jaakkola, Rory McKenzie, James Fowler.

Bookings:  Tim Clancy 69,   Mohamadou Sissoko 57,   Frazer Wright 58.

Referee: George Salmond,

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)