Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1911-12 fixture list
Dewar Shield Semi Final 
Arbroath 2 - 1 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Glen, Milne       Brown.  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Gayfield Park, Arbroath
Reserves Go Under
Although they were strengthened for the occasion, Aberdeen A failed to qualify for the final of the Dewar Shield at Arbroath, where the home team beat them by 2 goals to 1 after the extra time.

Right from the kick-off Aberdeen were in lock, giving a free-kick close up, through Pearson handling; but Campbell got offside. We'll Arbroath invaded on the right, the advance being stoutly met by Millar, but Watson just managed to block Milne. A corner to Arbroath ensued, Guild putting behind. The home team were having somewhat the advantage of the play, but the Aberdeen halves and backs made a good show; and, following a scrimmage, Clark shot weekly. A shot by Whyte was turned round the post by Greig, but the corner kick being badly placed. The home team continued to press, and the Aberdeen defence responded spiritedly, Greig had to handle the leather occasionally, but was not severely tested.
The visitors' frontline opened out of it, and a capable piece of play by Brown yielded the first goal. The home men then set to with considerable dash, Whyte having frequent tussles with Hannah. Miller conceded another corner, but although the ball over dangerously near the Aberdeen goal for a time, the defence ultimately cleared. A run and shot by Whyte found Greig lucky in clearing at the expense of another fruitless corner. Aberdeen broke away, and Campbell, after getting through, foolishly handled the ball. Towards the interval the ball was generally about midfield.

Arbroath resumed with great vigour, and Milne had a pot shot, Greig saving brilliantly. Next Greig turned a shot from Shaw round the post, and in the struggle following the corner, Glen made another glaring miss. A burst by Aberdeen looked promising for the visitors, but the customer a abortive corner was the net result. Walker was laid out, but speedily recovered. Scott saved grandly from Neilson.
Arbroath return to the attack, and a shot by glen beat Greig. Very fast play was then witnessed, the home team hemmed in the visitors at times. Greig tipped the ball over from a shot by Guild, and then he and Clark had a sprint for a loose ball, the custodian clearing marvellously.

In the extra half hour Milne scored the winning goal.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 22nd April 1912

Arbroath Teamsheet:  Scott; Stirling, Pearson; Birse, Taylor, Guild; Clark, Shaw, Milne, Glen, Whyte


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Greig, Hannah, Millar, Edgar, Watson, Low, Dickson, Brown, Campbell, Walker, Neilson.

Unused Subs:


Referee: Mr Martin, Camelon

Related Links: