Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1912-13 fixture list
Dewar Shield Semi Final 
Aberdeen 6 - 2 Dunblane A
Kick Off:  3:30 PM   McIntosh, Neilson, Neilson, Murray, McIntosh, McIntosh.       Guthrie, Bruce (Pen.)  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Aberdeen A Beat Dunblane
Aberdeen A played Dunblane in the semi-final of the Dewar Shield competition at Pittodrie on Saturday. The fixture did not seem to arouse much interest, as when play commenced there was a small attendance of spectators. A high and troublesome wind blew, and there were also occasional showers of rain.

Aberdeen A won the toss, and played with the wind in their favour. For a considerable time play was mostly at the Dunblane end. A run by the visiting forwards was repulsed. Aberdeen's right wing got possession and carried the ball well into range. McIntosh receiving the ball in a good position steadied himself and beat Wilson with a fast shot. The home side continued to have the best of matters, Dunblane finding play difficult against the wind. J. Neilson scored a secondgoal for Aberdeen with a high shot which gave Wilson no chance to save. Aberdeen secured several corners, as a result of which Dunblane had narrow escapes, but the defence held out.

Immediately on the resumption, Dunblane pressed, and Guthrie, after running through the home defence, scored from thirty yards' range with a fine shot. About this time rain fell in torrents, and much laughter was caused by a large number of those who had paid for admission to the cheap side of the ground making a dash for shelter. Dunblane, with the wind at their backs, were for a time mostly on the attack, but Aberdeen defended dourly against the gale and the rain. Aberdeen forwards broke away and forced a corner. Several exciting exchanges took place in front of the Dunblane goal. The ball was afterwards returned to midfield, but Aberdeen again pressed, and C. Neilson scored with a high, drooping shot. The home side continued to have the better of matters, and H. "Smith," accepting a pass from C. Neilson, scored a fourth goal. Dunblane were awarded a penalty, and Bruce netted. In the closing minutes, McIntosh scored twice in quick succession for Aberdeen.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 21st April 1913

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Greig, Hannah, Low, Robertson, Watson, Keith, Murray, Neilson, McIntosh, Brown, Neilson.

Unused Subs:


Dunblane A Teamsheet:  Wilson; Crawford, Bennett; Watt, Whitson, Bruce; Guthrie, Duncan, McGuire, Keith, Logan


Referee: Mr R. T. Murray, Stenhousemuir

Related Links: