Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2012-13 fixture list
Aberdeen 0 - 0 Hibernian
Kick Off:  12:30 PM          
Attendance: 7,184 (Visitors: 358)
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
McGinn Misses Pen as Dons Fail to Break Down Hibs

Aberdeen and Hibernian played out a goalless draw in front of a crowd of 7,184 at Pittodrie. Despite being awarded a penalty, creating numerous chances and dominating play, the Dons were unable to break the deadlock and Hibs left with an undeserved point.

aberdeenhibsmatchreport01The manager made three changes to the side that were well beaten by Inverness the previous weekend. To the bench went Cammy Smith and Scott Vernon while Russell Anderson missed out completely with a training ground injury. In came Isaac Osbourne, Rob Milsom and Peter Pawlett, who had just returned from his loan spell with St Johnstone.

The home side made a lively to start to the game and won the game's first corner inside a few seconds after a poor kick off from Hibs. The corner came to nothing but soon after the Dons were on the attack again and when Peter Pawlett went down after charging into the box referee Craig Thompson booked the winger for simulation. aberdeenhibsmatchreport02

Aberdeen kept the pressure up on a lacklustre looking Hibs side and Pawlett was at the centre of the action again a short time later when he was released down the left by Gavin Rae but failed to capitalise on the chance. On 10 minutes though the Dons were awarded a penalty when Johnny Hayes drew a foul from Tim Clancy on the by-line. Niall McGinn stepped up to take the kick but Ben Williams saved well to deny the Dons top-scorer.

The Dons reacted well to the setback through and despite Langfield turning a dangerous cross from Wotherspoon behind for a corner, it was the home side who continued to pressure. Another superb piece of play from Gavin Rae found Johnny Hayes who crossed delightfully towards the back post where Joe Shaughnessy was waiting. The Irishman headed back across goal to the head of Pawlett but his header went over the bar.

On 28 minutes the Dons broke well again and Rae found McGinn who crossed dangerously into the box before Johnny Hayes' took a fresh air swipe at the ball and Hibs cleared. On the half hour, McGinn shot wide from deep inside the box and a short while later superb play by Hayes allowed Shaughnessy to drift into the box but the linesman incorrectly ruled the youngster was offside.

Pawlett was having a particularly effective game on his return to the Dons and having swapped wings to play on the right nutmegged Ryan McGivern and advanced into the box but the visiting defence rescued the situation and cleared for a corner.

The Dons were playing well going forward and were also defending well- Isaac Osbourne being a particular stand out at centre back as the Dons defence did well to snuff out any threat of danger from Leigh Griffiths or other Hibernian players.

Gavin Rae was fouled on 44 minutes by Paul Hanlon after advancing towards the box. Niall McGinn took the resultant free kick but put the ball wide of the post and the first half ended goalless.

HT 0-0

aberdeenhibsmatchreport03The visitors started the second half better and Langfield had to look smart to stop Griffiths capitalising on Shefki Quici dangerous cross.

Aberdeen won their first corner of the second half after good play by McGinn saw him burst into the box and with little support in the box he did well to win the corner. The delivery from the kick was excellent but referee Thompson spotted a foul in the box and blew for a free kick.

8 minutes into the second half and Stephen Hughes cut the ball back in towards the penalty spot from the by-line but Lewis Stephenson made an important interception to block the ball away for a corner.

Peter Pawlett was later fouled by Gary Deegan just outside the box and gave the Dons a good opportunity for a strike at goal but unfortunately for the Red Army Johnny Hayes' free kick was fired wide. Shortly after, a sublime cross from Mark Reynolds was missed by everyone in the box before Isaac Osbourne had an effort at goal from distance which narrowly missed the target on 61 minutes.

Hibs had the odd half-chance in the second period and when Hanlon knocked the ball down for Doyle, the Hibernian attacker shot straight at Langfield.

On 70 minutes, Craig Brown opted to make aberdeenhibsmatchreport04a substitution and Scott Vernon came on for Pawlett and seconds later the Dons then went close to scoring again after patient build up play resulted in Hayes finding the room to shoot but his curling effort went just past the post.

James McPake found himself in the referee's notebook after a bad looking challenge on Mark Reynolds 10 yards outside the box- presenting the Dons with another opportunity from the free kick. McGinn was unable to recreate his stunning free kick of a few weeks ago though and curled wide.

Clark Robertson swung in a fabulous cross on 74 minutes but McGinn shot straight at Ben Williams in the Hibs goal. The Dons made another change at this stage with Cammy Smith replacing Rob Milsom, who had performed well in midfield.

Stephen Hughes was next to have an effort at goal for the home side as the Red Army urged their side to find a goal but his shot went well wide of the visitor's goal. Josh Magennis came on for Johnny Hayes but it was Hibernian who created the best chance of the closing stages. Eoin Doyle crossed into box and Isaac Osbourne did superbly well to pressurise Leigh Griffiths when the Hibs man looked like he would win it for his side. Had the shot been on target it would have undoubtedly given Hibernian an underserved three points.

Despite a slip from Ben Williams in the closing stages, the game ended goalless and the Dons now have to focus on two crucial games coming up- firstly at MacDiarmid Park on Wednesday followed by a massive Scottish Cup 5th round tie at Hibs the following Sunday.

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Langfield, Shaughnessy, Osbourne, Reynolds, Robertson, Pawlett (Vernon 70), Rae, Hughes, Milsom (Smith 81), McGinn, Hayes (Magennis 85).

Unused Subs: Brown, Low, Fallon, Masson.

Bookings:  Pawlett (3).

Hibernian Teamsheet:  Ben Williams, Tim Clancy, James McPake, Paul Hanlon, Ryan McGivern (Lewis Stevenson 46), David Wotherspoon, Gary Deegan, Tom Taiwo, Paul Cairney (Danny Handling 81), Leigh Griffiths, Shefki Kuqi (Eoin Doyle 60).

Unused Subs: Sean Murdoch, Bradley Donaldson, Alan Maybury, Ross Caldwell.

Bookings:  James McPake72 Paul Hanlon 46 Ryan McGivern David Wotherspoon65 Gary Deegan54 Tom Taiwo 81 Paul Cairney Leigh Griffiths87

Referee: Craig Thomson

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)