Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2012-13 fixture list
Aberdeen 0 - 0 St. Mirren
Kick Off:  3:00 PM          
Attendance: 7,240 (Visitors: 289)
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Stalemate again against the Saints

matchreport01Aberdeen recorded their 5th goalless draw at Pittodrie of the season as both sides failed to make the breakthrough in a pretty uneventful match. Hampered by a pitch in poor condition following Scotland's midweek encounter with the Estonia, the Dons never really looked like scoring and played the final 18 minutes with just 10 players after Mark Reynolds was sent off.

There was one change for the Dons from the side that lost to Hibernian in the previous weekend's Scottish Cup tie with Peter Pawlett replacing Rob Milsom in the starting XI.

The opening stages were a dull affair with both sides having plenty of the ball but perfectly happy to knock it about in midfield. Aberdeen eventually won their first corner on 16 minutes and from Hayes' kick Shaughnessy couldn't rise high enough to meet the ball in the box.

A short time later, Hayes then had an effort at goal from around 20 yards. It was a low powerful drive but didn't have enough on it to beat Samson in the St Mirren goal.

The Dons defence had to look sharp when Stephen Hughes gave the ball away in midfield and Steven Thompson advanced into box- Russell Anderson did well to block the ball and clear for a corner kick to the visitors.

Gary Teale, who was impressive for the visitors throughout the game, then went close but his long rang effort didn't trouble Jamie Langfield. St Mirren were having a good spell and moments later Mark Reynolds was booked as referee John Beaton awarded Saints a free kick on the edge of the box. The free kick was wasted but that booking would come back to haunt the Dons defender.

Aberdeen did have spells of good play and on 34 minutes Pawlett was fouled by McLean for which he was booked but again the free kick was wasted. Minutes later Johnny Hayes did well to get the better of David Barron but couldn't take any more advantage and St Mirren cleared.matchreport03

HT 0-0

The second half started brightly and it was Aberdeen who created the game's best chance so far. A short corner from Shaughnessy to Osborne eventually found its way to Hayes who hit a rasping drive in the direction of goal but Craig Samson was equal to it and palmed it away. His clearance didn't go far though and the rebound deflected wide for another corner to the Dons.

Jamie Langfield was then called into action for the first time and he made a good save to deny Gary Teale who hit a powerful goal bound shot. The keeper did well to palm it over the bar.

Hayes had another effort on goal on 54 minutes after Hughes pinched the ball off McLean in midfield but the Irishman's effort went wide of the post. There were appeals for a penalty on 57 minutes when Pawlett went down inside the box but referee Beaton was having none of it and waved play on.

The visitors then began to up the pressure on the Dons and sensed the growing frustration around Pittodrie. They forced Langfield into another good save from McLean after a stramash in the box. The game by now was far more entertaining and Craig Brown made two changes to try and swing the game in the Dons' favour. Josh Magennis replaced Clark Robertson at left back, while Scott Vernon replaced Stephen Hughes.

Before they had even had a chance to make an impact though, the Dons were dealt a massive blow. After a St Mirren corner, the ball eventually landed to a Saints player on the edge of the box and as he unleashed a shot Mark Reynolds rushed out to block and with no intent handled the ball. That was enough for John Beaton to show the defender a second yellow card and order him off the park. From the resultant free kick, Kenny McLean shot straight into the arms of Jamie Langfield.

matchreport02The Dons mad a third switch on 75 minutes when Cammy Smith replaced Peter Pawlett but there were cries for a penalty kick for the visitors when Teale was adamant that Magennis had used his hand to push the ball out of play. Aberden just after that had an even stonger claim for a penalty when a Hayes' cross was stopped by a St Mirren arm just inside the box. Replays show it was a clear hand ball. It was referee Beaton's first visit to Pittodrie and TV replays show he got the big decisions wrong.

The game was scrappy now and punctuated by a string of niggly fouls from both sides and a terrible challenge from Newton on Cammy Smith resulted in a booking for the St Mirren player. Moments later Jim Goodwin was also booked.

St Mirren had a phenomenal chance to win the game after a good break on 84 minutes. The ball eventually found its way to an unmarked Esmael Goncalves on the penalty spot and he managed to get a shot away but Jamie Langfield was equal to it and made a superb save.

Johnny Hayes then had a final effort for the Dons to no avail but there was one last heart-stopping moment for the Red Army when a Langfield totally misjudged a clearance as the ball bounced on the wobbly surface and trundled back towards goal but luckily was off target and went out for just a corner. It would have extremely harsh on the keeper who had a good game.

In the end the conditions won.

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Langfield, Shaughnessy, Anderson, Reynolds, Robertson (Magennis 67), Pawlett (Smith 75), Osbourne, Rae, Hughes (Vernon 71), McGinn, Hayes.

Unused Subs: Twardzik, Low, Fallon, Milsom.

Bookings:  Reynolds (31),  Osbourne (64),  Reynolds (73),  Reynolds (73).

St. Mirren Teamsheet:  Craig Samson, Marc McAusland, Jim Goodwin, David Barron, Kenny McLean (Graham Carey 90), Conor Newton, Paul McGowan, Esmael Goncalves, Paul Dummett, Steven Thompson, Gary Teale.

Unused Subs: Dougie Imrie, Lewis Guy, Sam Parkin, Lee Mair, Grant Adam, David van Zanten.

Bookings:  Kenny McLean (34),   Conor Newton (81),   Jim Goodwin (83).

Referee: J Beaton

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)