Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1886-87 fixture list
Orion 1 - 3 Strathmore, Arbroath
Kick Off:    Ferrier       Gray, Wilson, Sturrock  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Recreation Grounds, Inches, Aberdeen
A match between teams representing these clubs was played on Saturday at the Recreation Grounds, Inches, and was witnessed by a large number of spectators. The Strathmore lost the toss, and kicked off against the wind, which blew strongly from the west, and the sun. The game was fast and exciting from the commencement. The visitors showed excellent form, the forwards being a very nimble lot, but the Orion men did some first-rate work, and if the shooting had been better, would have made a very creditable appearance. As it was, they drew the first blood, Ferrier putting the ball very neatly through from a throw in after half-an-hour's play. After some give and take play, the ball traversing the field very rapidly, a corner was ceded to the visitors, and shortly afterwards from a scrimmage in front of the goal, the visitors gained their first goal, Neil Gray putting it through. Half-time was called shortly afterwards. Ends were changed, and by this time the wind had slightly moderated. Play continued to be of a very even character, both teams exhibiting some nice bits of play. Key, for Aberdeen, played splendidly, and the goalkeeper also did some very useful work. From a corner Wilson gained a second goal for the visitors, thus giving them a majority of one. Shortly afterwards the visitors rushed the ball up the field in capital style, and Sturrock put through. Nothing else was scored up to the call of time, so that the Strathmore were left winners by three goals to one.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 25th April 1887

The match between Strathmore (Arbroath) 1st Eleven and Orion, (Aberdeen) took place on Saturday at the Recreation Grounds, Inches. The names in the teams I gave last week, and all of these came forward. Play began at 3.20 sharp, in the presence of a fair attendance of spectators. The Orion captain won the toss and played with the sun and wind in his favour. The Strathmore kicked off. Play for the first quarter of an hour was pretty even, no advantage being gained by either party, though the Orion lost one or two chances by rather peculiar shooting. After close on half-an-hour's play, the Orion succeeded in scoring, and just on half-time the strangers made matters equal. In the second half the Strathmore added other two goals, and a very fast and well-contested match thus ended in their favour by 3 goals to one.

Source: Northern Figaro, 30th April 1887

Orion Teamsheet:  J. Diak; G. Fettis, C. E. Glenniw; A. Milne, J. Gordon, W. Anderson; W. Fife, J. Mackay (c), C. Christie, J. Dunn, A. Mitchell


Strathmore, Arbroath Teamsheet: 


Referee: Mr. M. E. Anderson, Edinburgh University FC

Related Links: