Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1912-13 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Morton 0 - 1 Aberdeen
Kick Off:          Murray.  
Attendance: 12,000
Venue: Cappielow Park, Greenock
Aberdeen Defenders Win the Day
At Greenock, before 12,000 spectators. At the outset the visitors were aggressive, but the Morton defence, the chief figure in which was Stark, prevented all attempts at scoring. Just before half-time, Murray managed to penetrate the home defence, and scored with a shot which gave Bradford no chance to save. At half-time the visitors led by one goal to nothing. In the second half, though chance after chance was given to them to equalise, the Morton front rank failed to score, and the game ended in a one goal victory for Aberdeen. This was the Morton's first defeat in the League competition.

Source: The Scotsman, 30th September 1912

By beating the previously undefeated Morton at Greenock on Saturday, Aberdeen may be said to have atoned for their previous dismal failures. Victory came by the only goal, it is true, and the losers missed a penalty kick and attacked vigorously for the greater part of the second half, yet Aberdeen's was really a great performance, and if the losers were unlucky, Aberdeen had every credit by their victory.
Fully 12,000 spectators witnessed what proved a dour struggle for the mastery. Aberdeen had the advantage of a strong wind in the first half, but although they attack persistently, we could not Pierce the great defence of the home team. Chalmers led several determined attacks on the Aberdeen goal, and King had to clear on several occasions from that player. At the other end Bradford had also to exert himself, but for the most part the efforts at shooting by the Aberdeen players lacked direction. 2 minutes from the interval, Soye broke away and centered, and H. Murray returned into goal. Bradford failed to gather, and the referee upheld a claim by the Aberdeen players that the ball was over the goal line. This somewhat luckily got point gave Aberdeen a lead at the interval.

A goal down and favoured by the wind, Morton started off the second half in great style, and Aberdeen were immediately defending. King had to clear many dangerous shots, while Coleman, Hannah and Wilson blocked other efforts which might have counted. After 15 minutes Morton were awarded a penalty-kick for Wilson handling, but Chalmers drove wide of the goal. Subsequent play was marked by many exciting passages, and at times the rough element was introduced, while the Aberdeen players were subjected to considerable barracking from the home crowd. The Aberdeen team defended valiantly, and the forwards were always on the alert to make ground. Once Main beat all opposition and shot with great force, but Bradford blocked the effort. A corner off to corner fell to the home side, but they could make no impression on the magnificent defence of the Pittodrie players, who won a sensational victory by the only goal.


The defeat of the home side did not at all please the Greenock club's supporters, and as the chances of their club diminished they developed a hostile tendency to the Aberdeen players. About 5 minutes from the close, and following upon an ugly incident between Aberdeen goalkeeper and Lindsay, the home outside left, a fusillade of stones were thrown in the direction of several of the Aberdeen players. The referee stopped the game for a short time, and was observed to pick up several of the miss aisles, evidently with a view to their production has evidence. At the close of the game, and when the Aberdeen players were tripping off the field, they were assailed with a shower of stones, but fortunately none of them received injury. It is likely that the matter will be reported to the Scottish League Committee.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 30th September 1912

Morton Teamsheet:  Bradford; Craig, Fulton; Wright, Stark, May; Torrance, Robertson, Chalmers, Brown, Lindsay


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  King, Colman, Hannah, Davidson, Wilson, McConnell, Soye, Walker, Main, Travers, Murray.

Unused Subs:


Referee: Sergeant-Major Vick, Hamilton

Related Links: