Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1889-90 fixture list
Aberdeenshire Cup Final 
The Aberdeen 2 - 2 Orion
Kick Off:    Reith, Brown       Mundie, ?  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Victoria Bridge, Aberdeen
These teams competed at Victoria Bridge Grounds in the final round of the Aberdeenshire Cup competitions, and the result of a rather uninteresting game was a draw, both sides scoring a couple of goals. There was a large crowd, and the weather, fortunately, was fair, if somewhat cold. A few minutes past the advertised hour the ball was set in motion, and being at once taken in hand by the Orion - Whitehead having a nice run down the field - the Aberdeen citadel was seriously threatened. The backs, however, succeeded in relieving, but in a few minutes the Stripes were again swarming like bees at the goal mouth. A. Wood secured a kick which, by a miscalculation, sent the sphere dangerously near his own posts, but D. Wood averted danger, and play was transferred to midfield. Once more attacking, the ball was sent outside, and being from the throw-in well centred, Fyfe wildly kicked behind. The Aberdeen's turn now came. A fine dribble on the right, in which Key rather distinguished himself, allowed of the ball being brought eastwards, and a pass to Brown on the left resulted in that player sending it almost to the goalposts. Diack was out of his place, so that Reith coming running up had no difficulty in scoring a goal. This was an example which the Orion were not slow to follow, and Mundie equalised, amid great enthusiasm. A couple of fouls were given against Orion in the course of the next ten minutes, and McVay had to retire for a time owing to a slight accident. The Orion continued to play up with great dash and energy, causing their opponents to act pretty much on the defensive. The Stripes were evidently determined to get the upper hand, and for their eagerness fouls were frequently awarded against them. Both ends were now visited in quick succession, and in one of these excursions A. Whitehead muddled a very easy chance. Key made a clever attempt, but Diack was on the alert, and the ball was sent well down the field. Orion muddied twice at the goal mouth what ought to have been easy points. A spell of uninteresting play followed, both teams lacking combination and judgment, and thereafter, from a pass by Key, Brown notched a second goal. When the players passed over Aberdeen was one up.
In the second half several fouls were given against Aberdeen, but they gave no advantage, a fact in great measure due to the slowness of the Orion when at close quarters. The Stripes in this way missed scoring several times. In one of their assaults D. Wood displayed in a marked manner his ability as a goalkeeper. Missing his kick on one occasion, Wood turned and collared the ball, holding it firmly while the other players swarmed round him. He threw out, and the half backs pressed the leather down the field. It was not permitted, however, to remain long there, for the Orion were showing great activity, and never were long from the Aberdeen goal. From a hot scrimmage the Stripes ultimately secured the reward to which their efforts entitled them. The point was neatly taken. As the game was thus equalised, both teams wakened up, and tried hard to put on the winning point. Most of the pressing was done by the Orion, who, however, were unable to score. When the whistle blew the scores were: Aberdeen 2, Orion 2.
The Orion had undoubtedly the most of the game all through. Their forwards worked well, and the backs were also good. The forwards of the Aberdeen were weak, while their half-backs never played so poorly. Ketchen showed that he had not yet recovered from his indisposition, but his partner, A. Wood, was perhaps the best man in the eleven, showing more particularly in the second half. Wood at goal sustained his reputation. The draw, in all probability, will not be played off till the 22nd, as there is a desire that the junior Final, which falls to come off next Saturday, should have every chance of drawing a big gate. The drawings on Saturday amounted, it is understood, to about £40.


If ever fortune smiled on the Aberdeen it did so on Saturday, as nothing luckier could have happened than the draw which then took place. Orion ought distinctly to have won the cup by, at the very least, five goals to two (many put the former figure at six), as all through they showed superior form to that of their opponents, much to the astonishment, it must be confessed, of the great majority of the football public. Of the game it is extremely difficult to say much by way of commendation. The science of the sport was conspicuous by its absence. Dash and energy on the part of the Central Park men, as against demoralisation and apathy in the ranks of the Aberdeen, were its chief characteristics, although now and again clever bits of passing and dribbling were exhibited. An unfortunate feature of the match was


which occurred, two players being spoken to by the referee; and when the tie comes to be played over again it is to be hoped that the players will make up their minds to be a little more careful in this respect. In accounting for the result the weakness of the Aberdeen forwards and half-backs must be advanced as the principal cause. Key was, for him, very much at sea; Brown may be said to have played not wisely but too well; Reith and Campbell were both at fault; and Arthur Whitehead did not shine. Farnworth displayed a marked falling-off on his semi-final form, as also did Thompson. For the Orion Fyfe did very well, and McBean was a distinct success. The backs too were good. Both goalkeepers distinguished them¬selves.


It has been decided by the Association that the tie shall be replayed on Saturday, the 22nd, at the Victoria Bridge Grounds. A referee from Glasgow will officiate, the umpires being Messrs Lornie and Phillips. As is well known, this delay has been caused by the unwillingness of the Association to do anything which would detract from the interest in the Junior Final, which comes off on Saturday at Chanonry. When next the Seniors meet it will be found that important changes have been made on the front rank. On Tuesday three south men who have come to the city to attend the Training College were out at Chanonry, and it is understood that one or more of them will find a place on Saturday week. Key, it is said, is to go back to his old place at centre, Whitehead is to be shifted, and Reid and Campbell will be dispensed with.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 13th February 1890

The final for the Aberdeen Cup between the Orion and Aberdeen proved very disappointing as to the display of football. It is about safe to say the Aberdeen never gave a poorer exhibition, while the Orion raised the hopes of their supporters by their dashing play. There was upwards of £40 drawn. The Orion kicked off against the sun, and were immediately at the Aberdeen goal, but had to go back pointless. Play was very fast, the Orion if anything having the best of it. Key dribbled up the right and passed to Morley, who put the ball into the goal. Diack, running out to save, missed the ball, and Reith put through No. 1 for Aberdeen. Scarcely had the ball been kicked off ere the Orion were at the Aberdeen goal and Mundin equalised. The Orion were still giving as much as they got, but lost many opportunities by reckless play in front of goal. The players infused rather much vigour into their play, the referee having to caution Ewen. Key, getting on the ball, dribbled up the wing, and centering, the ball was put through by Morley, thus putting the Aberdeen in the lead. The Orion played up desperately to equalise, but at half-time the score was unaltered.

With the sun at their backs the Orion supporters were hopeful of their team pulling through. They had nearly all the play in the second half, but could only score one, thus equalising the game. Wood in goal and Alick Wood at back saved the Aberdeen from defeat, as the half-backs were playing very poorly. Taking the Orion the whole team played to win, and ought to have done so on play, but lost many opportunities by over excitement in front of goal. Their half-back trio played a splendid game, demoralising the Aberdeen fronts. The break down of the Aberdeen was lamentable, their half-back trio (which is supposed to be the best in town) playing wretchedly. Captain Tom has not got over his recent illness and he certainly did not look well. The least said about the forwards the better, Key and Morley being the only two who seemed to know what they were doing. Keith was a complete failure at centre, Wood in goal and Alick Wood at back being the best of the team by a long way. Mr. Carnegie as referee kept down any attempt at roughness very firmly, giving fouls for the least bit of shady play.

Source: Northern Figaro, 15th February 1890

The Aberdeen Teamsheet: 


Orion Teamsheet: 


Referee: Mr. Carnegie

Related Links: