Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1890-91 fixture list
Scottish Cup First Round 
Orion 1 - 5 The Aberdeen
Kick Off:  3:45 PM   Leggat       Key, Key, Key, ?, ?  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Central Park, Aberdeen
This was perhaps the more important of the two cup-tie matches played on Saturday. It took place on the ground of the Orion, at Central Bark, Kittybrewster. The Aberdeen captain won the toss, and elected to play south, with the benefit of the sun almost behind. Orion pressed at the opening, and Ketchen saved a dangerous shot, but for a considerČable time give-and-take play followed in mid-field. The "whites " now got away with the sphere, and Key lowered the colours of the "stripes" with a beauty from centre. A spell of equal play occupied the next ten minutes or so, and Aberdeen resumed the attack. A rush along the right wing beat the Orion half-backs, and again Key sent the leather between the uprights. Fouls now were frequent on both sides, and save for several abortive rushes on either goal, play was uninteresting till the close of the first period. The scores were: Aberdeen 2, Orion 0, when the teams crossed.
Gloag, of the Orion, had retired during the progress of the first half, and was unable to come on the field again. The supporters of the Orion were somewhat disappointed at the state of affairs, but had confidence in their champions that they would yet gain the ascendancy. Play on both sides opened with renewed energy, and it looked at first as if the scoring was now to be on the side of the ground team. The Chanonry men soon showed, however, that they were still on the winning side, and a scrimmage at the Orion goal resulted in Key sending through another goal for the "whites." Two minutes later the Aberdeen were swarming round their opponents' uprights, and the colours fell for the fourth time. Orion pressed down on the Aberdeen goal for a lengthy period, most of the attacking being done on the right wing. Whitehead on the left also sent in a few dangerous balls, and forced Mackie to grant a corner. Nothing came of it, and the "whites" again laid siege to the home goal. The Orion were not content at the heavy odds against them, and began to play with somewhat more than their usual energy. For a time they kept up a determined though somewhat disorganised siege, and at last Leggatt forced the citadel of the whiles with a neat shot. Just before the close of time Aberdeen made a combined dash over the field, and after some slight difficulty with the back division of Orion a fifth goal fell to them. The match thus resulted: Aberdeen, 5 goals; Orion, 1.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 8th September 1890

Orion Teamsheet:  Dinnie; Mackay, McBain ; Gordon, Ewen, Baird; F. Whitehead, Jopp, Edwards, Leggatt, Gloag


The Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Mackie; Ketchen, A. Wood; G. Wood, MacDonold, Cobban; A. Whitehead, Mollison, Key, Robertson, Robson



Related Links: