Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1890-91 fixture list
Charity Cup Final Replay 
Victoria United 2 - 1 Orion
Kick Off:  3:30 PM   Watson, Wallace       Leggat  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Victoria Bridge, Aberdeen
The Charity Cup, for which so hard a struggle has been made, has found a resting place for another season in the headquarters of the Victoria United. No one will grudge them their success, and on their merits of play last Saturday at the Victoria Grounds they quite deserved to carry off the palm. The Orion were by no means equal to their heavier opponents, and when they did come away with a rush it was but the flicker of individuality. They lacked to a large extent the stability of good, sound back play as compared with the Victoria men, Simpson and Ririe, notably the latter. The game opened auspiciously enough for the Orion, as not long after commencing Leggat, their inside right, smartly lowered the Victoria colours, thus registering the first and only goal scored by his side. Pulling themselves together, the Victoria broke away, and a characteristic charge by Watson soon placed matters on an equal footing. For some time after this the ball was kept alternately passing from end to end, until a corner was granted to the Victoria off Gordon. Turner neatly placed the ball in front of the posts, and the opportunity was cleverly taken advantage of by Wallace, who added another goal to the Victoria score. The game thus stood: Victoria 2, Orion 1, and remained so till half-time.
The Orion crossed over to meet the disadvantage of playing with the sun beating in their faces. They opened the second period with a good rush, but the splendid defensive kicking of Ririe soon relieved, and the Victoria pressed in turn, when Watson nearly scored. Soon after the Orion came away, and Whitehead sent in a sharp shot, but Cannon was all there and smartly saved. A foul granted to the Orion near the goal line left matters as before. They continued to threaten, however, and Mackay all but improved his side's score. A corner was given, but nothing resulted. The Victoria replied with a corner, but the advantage was not improved upon. The Orion charged, and Cannon was called upon to defend from Gloag's attack. From this period until the call of time, play rested entirely with the Victoria, Watson and Turner both having good tries at scoring but failing. The whistle blew to the tune of a win for the Victoria by 2 goals to 1.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 11th May 1891

This undecided final was brought to a close last Saturday at Torry in brilliant weather - from a spectator's point of view - although I have no doubt the players would much rather have preferred a cooler day, for the sun was beating down on them, That the public interest had in nowise abated over this tie was evinced by the huge crowd which lined he Victoria's pretty field. A few of the Orion were the first to straggle on the ground followed by the ground men in a body. A minute later the remainder of the Orion appeared and both teams engaged in a few preliminary kicks previous to the kick-off. Mr Dunn, Cambuslang, again officiated as referee, with Messrs Beaton and Jaffrey from the Association as umpires.

Victoria lost the toss and kicked off facing a blazing sun. Their left wing collared the ball and a rapid and well executed run ended in Wallace shooting into Low's hands. The Orion quickly changed the venue of operations, and after some smart play Leggat sent in a high drooping shoot which Cannon misjudged, thus gaining what proved to be the first and only point for the visitors. Even play followed, both defences at this period playing well, and some time elapsed ere Watson with a swinging partly-overhead shot equalised. Victoria thereafter pressed, and from a corner off Gordon, which was neatly placed by Turner, Wallace banged through the sphere. Enthusiastic cheering followed, and half-time brought no alteration, the score standing 2-1 in favour of the ground team.

The Orion now had to face the sun, and to use a footballer's phrase "were never in it". They seemed to lose heart. The blues on the other hand bringing all their energies into play seemed determined to keep their advantage. The defence of the ground men was the admiration of the crowd, the magnificent half-back play especially calling forth their plaudits. They are a magnificent line and completely wandered the opposing forwards, who were playing in a jerky disjointed fashion, with now and again an occasional flash of individualism, while the home men confined their play mostly to the wings and were thus much more effective in carrying up the ball, but were miserably weak in front of goal. Both teams were sinners in this respect. The stripes played three backs the second half, while one of the blues' forwards occasionally lay half, racing up the field when a likely run was being engaged in. Excitement amongst the spectators as the time wore on was tremendous. A huge kick by Sinclair into the Orion goal, brought the whistle into play with the Vies besieging their opponents, with no goals scored during the second period, and never in the annals of Aberdeen football have I witnessed such a popular victory. The audience went frantic and the cheering and shouting was deafening, some of the more enthusiastic supporters carrying Captain Turner and Goalkeeper Cannon off the field. Treasurer Philips informed me that the gate amounted to rather more than when the tie was last played, which was then 49.

Low for the losers was in fine form and despite the bustling which he received cleared his lines in a masterly way. Foote was the best back for his side - the best in fact on the field?and for three quarters of the game put in some grand saving. Boss was a failure and is not class enough for a senior team. He may turn out a good man but meantime is far from that, being too young or inexperienced ; his style of stopping the ball and rushing back to race at it is not back play, and the Orion management now see when too late the bad policy of altering their team the week of a cup tie. They are much to be condemned for this.
Gordon was by far their best half-back, but seemed completely used up on to the latter end as he persistently kicked into touch. Something must have been wrong with Jamie, as he always plays a sportsman-like game. McKay was utterly at sea, and floundered about; the ground evidently did not suit John, being in my opinion rather fast for him. Jarvis was nervous and made numerous glaring misses. His bright days are past and I think the sooner he gives up playing the better. Of the forwards Whitehead and Andrews were the most dangerous men, especially the former who raised his club's hopes by some dashing runs. Gloag in centre on Saturday's form was not a patch on Watson, while Leggatt was baulked at every turn, as also was Edwards. Cannon did what he got to do in his own inimitable way, on one occasion giving a grand exhibition of saving. The whistle blew for a foul off the Orion in spite of which three of them sent in as many stingers to Cannon, who as promptly returned them. He is the beau ideal of a custodian and without an equal in Aberdeen.

Simpson and Ririe were both good and worked in unison. The halves were the treat, the way they bottled up the Stripes' front line tickled the spectators immensely. Duffus and Stewart were unapproachable, and Boss was not far behind, the three possessing a great turn of speed. I have seen Turner play much better than he did, his kicking at the outset being rather weak, but as the game progressed he improved, and played a really effective game. Once or twice with the goal at his mercy, and in the act of shooting, he got tripped up.
Sinclair did a lot of effective tricky work, besides feeding his partner to a nicety. Watson was all there, his charges having a telling effect, and his dodging was also cleverly effective. Wallace and Ferries played one of the finest games I have seen since they were mated, their combination was beautiful and they make the ball travel at an awful pace. Ferries took the tip I gave him in one of my issues lately and centred and shot on the run, while Wallace did not hamper him so much in lying too close in.


That the Vics have been and gone and done it", and considering their form deserved to win, being the best team.
That there was another big gate -little wonder treasurer Philips wears a 3 by 2 smile when "gate" is mentioned.
That this is the biggest haul the charities have ever made, close on 100 being drawn at the two matches.
That with no badges to pay for, the executive should be able to hand over a tidy "wee" sum.
That the cup and badges will be presented to the winners to-night (Saturday).
That this is their first cup, but as they are a young team yet, let us hope it won't be their last.
That the Torry committee are surely happy, now that they have got a team of so well balanced players together. Stick to one another, boys, and I'm surprised if you don't do better things next season.
That the win was popular, the town juniors parading the streets with blue ribbons in their jackets.
That "Peastie" was again en evidence, but his placard was awanting this time. Perhaps the little fellow knew what was to be, or perhaps the fright he got the last time had something to with it.
That the flag, for once, was left proudly waving defiance.

Source: Northern Figaro, 16th May 1891

Victoria United Teamsheet:  Cannon; Simpson, Ririe; Ross, Stewart, Duffus; Turner, Sinclair, Watson, Wallace, Ferries


Orion Teamsheet:  Low; Foote, Ross; Jarvis, Mackay, Gordon; Edwards,Legget, Gloag, Andrews, Whitehead


Referee: Mr. Dunn, Cambuslang

Related Links: