Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1891-92 fixture list
The Aberdeen 5 - 2 Orion
Kick Off:    Robison, Key, Key, ?, ?       Leggat, Gloag  
Attendance: 3,000
Venue: Chanonry, Aberdeen
These clubs met in a friendly fixture at Chanonry. The weather was all that could be desired, and about 3000 spectators assembled to witness the game. Aberdeen attacked immediately on kicking off and the strangers experienced considerable difficulty in keeping their charge intact. All over the play was creditable and as the season advances it is bound to improve. The homesters were successful in scoring first. Whitehead centred neatly from the left corner, and Robison piloted the ball easily past Low. After this the Stripes conducted a prolonged siege on the Aberdeen goal, and ultimately Leggat, with a swift angular shot, beat Ritchie, and the game was made equal. On several occasions the Central Park men had hard lines in not adding to their score. Key was instrumental in adding a second goal to the White's total. He sprinted grandly down the centre, and a sharp "daisy-cutter" had the desired effect. A minute later the same player chronicled a third point, and half-time found the score: Aberdeen 3, Orion 1.
On hostilities being resumed the ground team took up the running, and several abortive corners were secured. Two well-deserved goals, however, were shortly afterwards registered, and the Orion replied by adding a second. Play was hard and equal until the finish, the match ending in a win for the Aberdeen Club by 5 goals to 2.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 31st August 1891

It is not every team who can boast of so auspicious an opening to their season, and more especially since it was unexpected, but it is generally the unexpected that happens, and, on their Saturday's play, the Aberdeen thoroughly deserved their win. It was a bitter pill for the Orion supporters to swallow, but figures are facts and "facts are chiels that winna ding." The game took place at Chanonry before a large concourse of spectators, every coign of vantage being occupied. The home team had the assistance of the Vic's left back for the day.

Orion lost the toss and Annand kicked off. No time was lost by the Stripes in giving Ritchie a visit, but the danger was averted. Play was equal for some time, but ultimately the Aberdeen scored through Robison; followed shortly after by Key making a magnificent run, and after eluding both backs, letting drive a hard one at Low which took effect. Leggatt had the honour of scoring the Orion's first goal of the season, while Key neatly beat Low for the third time. Half-time blew with the scores 3-1.

In the second half the Whites had matters practically all their own way, Ketchen playing havoc with the light Orion forwards, who only succeeded in scoring once through Gloag. This was all the scoring on the Orion side, and before the whistle sounded the Aberdeen were other two goals up, thus bringing their total to five goals. Yet the display was about the poorest I ever witnessed between local teams; this is no doubt accounted for by the fact that it was the first match of the season. As the season goes on both teams will improve. It would be unfair to criticise just now - we shall wait developments first.

Source: Northern Figaro, 5th September 1891

The Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Ritchie; Ketchen, Ririe; Ross, Macdonald, Sands; Muir, Robison, Key, Thomson, A. Whitehead


Orion Teamsheet:  Low; Foote, Jarvis; Wight, J. Low, Gordon; Gloag, Leggat, Annand, Eraser, Andrews


Referee: Mr. P. Harper

Related Links: