Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1897-98 fixture list
Scottish Cup First Round 
Dundee Wanderers 3 - 1 Orion
Kick Off:          Thom  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Clepington Park, Dundee
Fall of Orion
Orion, the only one, of our local clubs to get into the Scottish Ties proper, journeyed to Dundee and tackled the Wanderers on Clepington Park. The visitors won the toss and played with the wind in their favour. The opening stages found Orion hovering round Stewart, but no opening could be found. Both teams were playing under form, combination being conspicuous by its absence, while the shooting was usually wide of the mark. Towards the end of the first half Ritchie did some clever work in Orion's goal, and it was mainly owing to him that the whistle blew with the score 0-0.
Restarting, Wanderers with the wind behind them, monopolised nearly all the play and Ritchie repeatedly saved brilliantly. At last the ball was got into the Aberdeen net through Dundee's centre. Orion, nettled at this reverse, took the game in hand. Grant got the easiest possible chance of scoring but shot wildly. The visitors had the hardest of hard lines on more than one occasion. Had an equalising goal come Orion's way there is no saying what the result might have been. From a rush up the field Simpson headed past Ritchie and almost immediately afterwards the same player headed No. 3. From a foul Jim Thom was responsible for Orion's only goal. The game finished - Wanderers 3, Orion 1.

Source: Bon-Accord, 13th January 1898

The Orion journeyed to Dundee and met the Wanderers in the first round of the final stage of the Scottish Cup-tie competition. Mr D. McIntyre was referee, and the teams were: Wanderers: Stewart; Allan, Ferguson; McColl, Ireland, Fleming; Peat, Graham, Dorward, Williamson, Simpson. Orion: Ritchie; Scott, Ross; Currie, Low, Dawson; Webster, Grant, Thom, Wilson, Johnston. The game opened with rather primitive play, and the first period was passed in ineffective raids on either goal. The ball was kept in rapid motion in the open, but an absence of telling combination, especially in the neighbourhood of each citadel, rendered all attempts at scoring void of success. Both the front lines had their busy moments at the goalmouth, but at half-time neither side had scored.

The Wanderers, on the restart, pressed the Aberdeen team hard, and a strong defence was at length penetrated by Dorward with a fine shot. The reverse had a stimulating effect on the visitors, who now subjected the home goal to a siege. They were repulsed, however, and after some fruitless manoeuvres, the Wanderers' score was raised by Simpson. The Orion strove manfully to obtain a point, Johnston being especially troublesome to the local defence, but despite their efforts the Wanderers pushed over the line, and netted the ball for a third time. The Orion were now thoroughly roused, and breaking away at the kick-off, Thom scored. Orion from this time pressed hard, but were unable to reduce the lead of the Wanderers, and the match ended: Dundee Wanderers, 3 goals; Orion, 1.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 10th January 1898

Dundee Wanderers Teamsheet:  Stewart; Allan, Ferguson; McColl, Ireland, Fleming; Peat, Graham, Dorward, Williamson, Simpson


Orion Teamsheet:  Ritchie; Scott, Ross; Currie, Low, Dawson; Webster, Grant, Thom, Wilson, Johnston


Referee: Mr. D. McIntyre

Related Links: