Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1897-98 fixture list
Northern League 
Victoria United 2 - 1 The Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Ritchie,McIlvenny       Livingstone  
Attendance: 3,000
Venue: Victoria Bridge, Aberdeen
Vics Victorious.
Vics have finished their League fixtures, and the victory over Aberdeen gives them a very good chance of bringing the flag to Torry. Both teams were well represented. Kilgour of the Reserves took Allan's place at back, while Dundas was again in his old position for the Vics. Aberdeen played C. W. Mackie back, and McKay was introduced into the front line. Before commencing, Mr Walker, of Messrs Walker &, Co., cinematographed the teams. Vics had the best of matters to start with, but were met with a good defence. Aberdeen's turn soon came, and a trio of corners were secured, none of them, however, being turned to advantage. The Whites were the first to open the scoring, Livingstone beating Findlay. Some time elapsed before the Vics got on equal terms, it being close on half time when Ritchie scored for the Blues.
The restart found the Whites dangerously near Findlay. Vics retaliated, and a fruitless comer was the result. From a foul McNeil netted the ball, but as it had not been played it did not count. The Aberdeen right wing were often dangerous, Livingstone in particular putting in good work. McKenzie had a hard time of it with them. At last the winning goal came. Dundas passed, on to Burnett, who in turn sent it to McIlvenny, and the ball was then banged through. Vics had most of the remaining play, but no further scoring took place and the game ended - Vics, 2; Aberdeen, 1.

Short Kicks

The petition for the reprieve of Smith was largely signed at the Vics' grounds on Saturday. Fully 7000 took the pen.
The majority of the crowd wondered who Kilgour was. Some said he came from Dundee. This shows how much interest is taken in the juniors.
Charlie Mackie is a handy man for the Whites to have. In any position he can always be relied upon to play a good game. He was the best of the Whites' two backs.
Dan McNeil played a great game. Time and again he brought up Aberdeen's forwards in magnificent style. He is just recovering from influenza, and it was at considerable risk he turned out.
Dundas profits by his experience, and places finely to his forwards. He shoots at every likely opportunity, and rarely is wide of the mark.
McKenzie and Moffat were at concert pitch, and gave the forwards no end of chances.
We have seen the attack much more effective. They seemed to be by far too excited to do themselves justice. McIlvenny and Ritchie were the pick. Findlay was as safe as usual in goal.
On the Aberdeen side Ritchie was very safe. He got some hot ones to hold, and performed his work well.
John Davidson was not nearly so good as "Tiddle." Ritchie got round John very easily at times.
The halves all played well, "Fairmer" being if anything best.
Forward, Billy Clark and Livingstone were most effective; the latter got in some very good wing work.
The match was billed as the deciding game of the League. Had the Vics lost it might have been, but seeing they won, it remains for the Aberdeen to settle the matter on Saturday first when the Wanderers appear at Chanonry.
Last season the Aberdeen had the deciding of the championŽship and it is strange that the same club should have to do it again this year.
We would suggest that Charlie Mackie be played forward. He puts no end of dash into his play and plays the bustling game to perfection. Something of this kind will be wanted again Wanderers.

Source: Bon-Accord, 17th March 1898

An important Northern League fixture was played at Victoria Bridge Grounds, Aberdeen, where Victoria United, who are at the top of the League table, met the Aberdeen, who occupy the lowest rung on the League ladder. It may seem odd to say that, in these circumstances, it was an important match, but the point is that Aberdeen, though at the bottom of the list, have pulled up strongly of late - they won the County Cup a fortnight ago - and if they managed to defeat the United they would in all likelihood prevent that team securing the League championship. The weather was gloriously fine, and the attendance numbered upwards of 3000. AS the spectators arrived they had an opportunity of signing the petition in favour of Charles Smith, the Aberdeen plasterer, who ties under sentence of death in Durham Jail. Previous to the commencement of the match, the teams "marched past" the west goal and were "taken" by Messrs Walker & Co's cinematograph, which was also in operation at various points of the game.
The men then took their places, the players being as follows: Victoria United: F. Findlay; C. Kilgour, D. McNeil; J. Dundas, J. Moffat, G. McKenzie; George McPherson, George Burnett, Harry McIlveney, J. Henderson, R. Ritchie. Aberdeen: Ritchie; John Davidson, C. W. Mackie; J. Mackie, Henderson, Thomson; Livingstone, Mackay, Clark, Gray, Shiach. Referee - Mr Black. Forfar Athletic.
Victoria United, losing the toss, kicked off against the sun, but by good play worked the leather up to their opponent's goal. The game at the beginning seemed to be all in favour of the Blues, whose Forwards showed not only good passing, but pressed with considerable skill. Aberdeen then took up the running, and at length, from a scrimmage in front of goal, Livingstone scored for Aberdeen after half-an-hour's play, an achievement which was loudly cheered by the Chanonry supporters. The Aberdeen were undoubtedly showing the better combination, the passing of the forwards being superior to that exhibited by the United men. Nevertheless, the game was somewhat uninteresting, mediocre play being relieved only occasionally by some smart work on the part of one or two of the men. Determined to secure, if possible, the equalising point, the ground team continued the pressure, and Ritchie, after a brilliant run up the left, made an attempt to score from far out, but his namesake at the Aberdeen goal-mouth smartly saved. The United continued to have the best of the game, and once more Ritchie called upon the Aberdeen goalkeeper to hold out a stinging shot. It was now near half-time; and shortly before the whistle sounded, the United, as the result of a determined effort, at last succeeded in scoring, through Ritchie, amid enthusiastic cheers. Half-time score: Aberdeen 1, Victoria United 1.

With the sun behind them in the second period the United played the better game. McIlveney, with the assistance of Burnett, scored a second point, and the final result was a win to the Victoria United by 2 goals to 1.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 14th March 1898

Victoria United Teamsheet:  F. Findlay; C. Kilgour, D. McNeil; J. Dundas, J. Moffat, G. McKenzie; George McPherson, George Burnett, Harry McIlveney, J. Henderson, R. Ritchie


The Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Ritchie; John Davidson, C. W. Mackie; J. Mackie, Henderson, Thomson; Livingstone, Mackay, Clark, Gray, Shiach


Referee: Mr. Black, Forfar

Related Links: