Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1891-92 fixture list
Aberdeenshire Cup Final 
The Aberdeen 0 - 2 Victoria United
Kick Off:  3:15 PM          
Attendance: 7,000
Venue: Chanonry, Aberdeen
This fixture, the fulfillment of which was attended with the keenest interest in football circles, came off at Chanonry on Saturday before about 7000 spectators, and under ground and weather conditions of a favourable nature. The Aberdeen appeared in full strength; the Victoria, unfortunately, were without the services of Turner. The teams were: Aberdeen: Low; Ketchen and Wood; Ross, Reith, and Thomson; Cobban, Brown, Key, Thomson, and Whitehead. United: Cannon; Thomson and Ririe ; Ross, Stewart, and Duffus; Wallace, Sinclair, Binks, Simpson, and Ferries. Mr. Buttars, Our Boys, Dundee, was referee.
The Victoria centre started the game, and the Aberdeen forwards, getting on the ball, invaded, but Duffus, coming in at a critical moment, returned it. Play was now carried into Aberdeen territory, and Binks had a good try at goal, but the shot was repelled, and immediately afterwards the Aberdeen, through the instrumentality of Brown, looked in, their final effort, however, being also useless. Thirty minutes from the commencement a sharp attack on the Aberdeen stronghold resulted in Binks sending the ball through amid loud cheers. After this reverse the Whites spurted, and had it not been for the able defence of Cannon disaster must have befallen the United; as it was the effort went for nothing. In turn the Victoria forwards pressed, and after a try by Binks, Sinclair contrived to add a second point, the cheering on the part of the spectators at this being loud and enthusiastic. Shortly afterwards half-time was announced, and the teams crossed over with the scores 2-0 in favour of the United.
On the resumption of play the Victoria again took up the running, but the back play of the Aberdeen club prevented them from increasing, their total, and the forwards getting possession, carried play into the strangers' quarters. Ririe again and again beat off the Whites, and another transference of the play took place, but Wallace-missed. Towards the close of the match the Aberdeen pressed hard, but were unable to score, and the whistle sounded with the figures standing as at half time: United 2, Aberdeen 0.
In the latter part of the game, Simpson, one of the United forwards, retired injured. Speaking generally on the whole play, the meeting was comparatively uninteresting, neither team exhibiting anything like their usual form. For Aberdeen Brown was conspicuous in the front rank, Ross was the pick of, halfs, Ketchen and Wood performed fairly well at, back, and Low kept a good enough goal. Cannon, for the United, was in excellent form between the posts, the backs did some fine work, Stewart was the best of the halfs, and the forwards at times showed fairly good combination.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 15th February 1892

The Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Low; Ketchen, Wood; Ross, Reith, Thomson; Cobban, Brown, Key, Thomson, Whitehead


Victoria United Teamsheet:  Cannon; Thomson, Ririe; Ross, Stewart, Duffus; Wallace, Sinclair, Binks, Simpson, Ferries


Referee: Mr. Buttars, Our Boys, Dundee

Related Links: