Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1891-92 fixture list
Northern League 
The Aberdeen 5 - 4 Harp, Dundee
Kick Off:  3:15 PM   Brown, Key, ?, Ramsay, From Scrimmage        
Attendance: 0
Venue: Chanonry, Aberdeen
At Chanonry, in wintry weather, but in presence of a fair attendance of spectators, teams representing these clubs met in the Northern League competition. The ground was covered with snow, which, hardened by the frost, rendered accurate play a matter of considerable difficulty, Aberdeen were minus several of their cup-tie men, but fairly good substitutes filled the vacant places; the Harp appeared in about their full strength.
Losing the toss, the homesters kicked off in the face of a sharp north wind and drifting snow, and immediately made tracks for the Dundee goal. With little, difficulty, however, the invasion was stopped, and an encroachment by the Harp forwards caused anxiety to the Aberdeen defence. The strangers persisted, - despite the exertions put forward by Wood and Ketchen - in hovering near the home citadel, and on several occasions disaster all but befell the whites. A brief respite was granted the Chanonry eleven from a behind, but the greens again, aided by a couple of fouls, played close to the Aberdeen uprights, and a shot from the assistant left passed through the goal, crediting the visitors with their first point. After this reverse Aberdeen played more determinedly and with a little more cohesion, and a combined effort on the part of their attacking division terminated in Brown equalising the game. Considering the weather conditions play was fairly fast at this time, and the Harp, assisted by the wind, now maintained a continued pressure on their opponents' stronghold. For a time the whites' defence averted further scoring, but ultimately the Dundee right winger contrived to chronicle a second point for his team, and directly afterwards the centre half added a third. Matters now began to assume a serious aspect for the Aberdonians, but, improving in form, they frequently forced the Harp custodian to use his hands in order to save. Until near half-time, however, the scores remained unaltered, but, ere the teams crossed over, Key notched a second goal, and a mistake on the part of the Harp backs was the means of producing a third, the game thus standing equal on change of ends.
The concluding period of the match commenced with the Aberdeen pressing, and this state of matters continued for at least a quarter of an hour, but success came not to the whites, owing principally to the fine display of goal-keeping by the Harp custodian. The shooting of the Aberdeen forwards was at times very erratic, and this also accounts for their failing to augment their total. A break away by the Harp resulted in a goal, the inside left giving the ball the parting kick, and the Dundonians now led by four to three. A few minutes later Aberdeen equalised, through Ramsay, amid cheers, and after a spell of equal play the home team scored the winning point from a scrimmage. The match thus ended: Aberdeen, 5 ; Harp, 4.
The game was on the whole uninteresting, a circumstance easily attributable to the unplayable state of the ground, on account of which the Harp at the close lodged a protest. For Aberdeen the custodian saved some good shots; Wood was the better of the backs; Thomson and Ross played well at half; and Brown was the pick of the front rank, Key and Wood being out of it. The Harp played a steady defensive game; the goalkeeper did some smart saving; and the forwards exhibited good passing in the circumstances.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 22nd February 1892

The Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Ritchie; Ketchen, Wood; Cobban, Thomson, Ross; Ramsay, Sands, Key, Brown, Whitehead


Harp, Dundee Teamsheet:  Tallon; Fagan, Connelly ; Riley, Collins, Mitchell; Morray, Brady, Morrisey, Ferguson, Donnachie



Related Links: