Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1913-14 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Ayr United 2 - 1 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Gray, Richardson       Wylie.  
Attendance: 7,000
Venue: Somerset Park, Ayr
At Somerset Park, Ayr, before about seven thousand spectators. The visitors won the toss, and made their opponents face the sun. Play opened in Aberdeen's favour, and McStey was a little lucky in tackling Soye close in. A run by the Ayr right wing resulted in the ball being sent across to Richardson, who banged it against the goalkeeper. Ere Colman could clear his lines, Gray scored with a shot from several yards out. Till the interval the United defence had the upper hand of the Aberdeen attack, and Greig's charge was frequently endangered. The United crossed over with the one goal lead. Aberdeen resumed with great dash, and within a very few minutes Wyllie equalised the scores, catching onto a pass from Soye, and making no mistake. Aberdeen looked like taking the lead a minute or so later when Travers got through and skimmed the bar with a fine shot. At length the home left wing got agoing, and Cassidy running in crossed along the goal mouth for Richardson to pop the ball into the net. Till the end of the game was hotly contested, raids and counter raids being the order. Result:- Ayr United, 2; Aberdeen, 1.

By two goals to one, Aberdeen succumbed to Ayr United under Scottish League auspices at the Ayr. There were 7000 spectators, and these were retailed with an interesting game, in which the home team were the superior combination and deserving of their narrow victory, although so far as actual opportunities went, Aberdeen might quite well have been at least equal at the finish. Aberdeen made the running in the opening stages of the game, but some good tackling by Dainty, the Ayr centre-half, kept them out. Ayr were early on the lead, and Greig had saved a hard drive from J. L. Goodwin before Gray put them on the lead. The goal greatly improved the home side, and subsequent play entirely favoured them, brilliant defending by Colman, Wyllie, and Greig preventing further scoring. Only seldom did the Aberdeen forwards get off on the run, and when they did the play was disjointed. Ayr were not too smart at close quarters, although Richardson, the centre-forward, was always a clever trier. There was no further scoring at the interval.

Ayr up accounted for the most of the attacking work in the second half, the Aberdeen got level unexpectedly. Soye broke off, and, after a brilliant run, he centered finely form W. Wylie to score for Aberdeen. The Pittodrie side might have taken the lead immediately, but Main, after receiving a nice forward pass from Wylie, sent over the bar when finely placed. Richardson had the Aberdeen goal repeatedly in danger, and ultimately he gave his side the winning goal from a lovely centre by Gray. After this it was Ayr's game, and the Aberdeen defence was stretched to the full. Richardson tested Greig with a header, and a goal was claimed, but the referee ruled that the ball had not crossed the goal line. Near the finish Aberdeen rallied, and Lyall twice saved well, and the end came with Aberdeen beaten.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 20th April 1914

Ayr United Teamsheet:  Lyall; Bell, McStey; Jarvis, Dainty, McLaughlan; Middleton, J. Goodwin, Richardson, Cassidy, Gray


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Greig, Colman, Hannah, Wright, Wyllie, Low, Soye, Walker, Main, Travers, Wylie.

Unused Subs:


Referee: Mr. A. Edwards, Glasgow

Related Links: