Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1891-92 fixture list
Charity Cup Semi Final 
The Aberdeen 0 - 2 Orion
Kick Off:  3:30 PM         Gloag, Low  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Victoria Bridge, Aberdeen
Still Another Surprise by the Orion.
These teams met at the Victoria Bridge Recreation Grounds in the first round of the Charity Cup competition. The weather was very cold, and during a portion of the game snow fell. The ground in consequence was heavy and treacherous, and naturally the display of good football was at a minimum. The attendance, however, was better than was expected. Both sides were represented fully. Gloag kicked off for the Orion, but Key quickly got hold of the ball, and, passing to Brown, the Aberdeen invaded, when two corners were conceded to them. After some wild shooting on the part of the Chanonry men, the Orion pressed on the right, and a good shot by Gloag was unexpectedly converted into a goal. The ball was timidly stopped; by Lowe, and with little difficulty it was sent through. Play was then transferred to the Orion, territory, where a succession of corners fell to the lot of the "whites," but the Aberdeen invariably failed at the crucial point. Within the next fifteen minutes the Orion broke away but once, and again a lucky termination to their efforts was made. Charging on the right, they were granted a corner kick, from which the ball was deftly headed through by Low. The Aberdeen again attacked with spirit, but in vain, although many opportunities were given them for scoring. The capital defence of Lumsden prevented on many occasions defeat overtaking his side, and his conduct at the goalmouth gave encouragement to the backs. Mackie gave them some trouble with his "screw" kicking. No further scoring took place during the first period, and the teams crossed over with the score standing: Orion 2, Aberdeen 0.
At the commencement of the second half it looked as if the Aberdeen men were about to impose a crushing defeat on their opponents, but although they had most of the play they failed to take some grand chances, and as the time wore on, and their efforts remained unrewarded, they seemed to lose heart, and in consequence the game became most uninteresting. With the exception of the last ten minutes, when the Aberdeen made a final effort, nothing brilliant was done, but in this they were unsuccessful as before, and time was soon after called, with the score standing as it did at half-time.
The Orion's victory was undoubtedly earned under the luckiest circumstances, for only in the defence of their backs did they show anything like the style of the Aberdeen players. Lumsden did some wonderfully good work, while among the forwards the outstanding feature was the "dodging " of Leggat. A fairly good display was made by Baird, but the rest of the team were seldom prominent, while the frequency with which "fouls" were given against them was not in favour of their method of aggression. Of the losers, Low had undoubtedly a lot to answer for in the opening period. Wood and Ketchen were both in good form. Of the halfs, Thomson appeared to advantage. One and all of the advance rank played injudiciously at times, Although they maintained the aggressive throughout, their passing was defective.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 28th March 1892

In most inclement weather - snow falling almost the whole afternoon - the Aberdeen and Orion disposed of their Charity Cup tie at the Victoria Bridge Grounds. Despite the uncongenial surroundings there was a good "house," and a most interesting game was witnessed, ending in the Orion coming out victors by 2 goals to nil - both scored in the first half, and against the wind. The first goal was somewhat lucky, but the second, from a corner kick, and smartly headed by Low, the centre-half, was a splendid shot. The Orion's defence won them the game. In goal, Lumsden was superb. During the 90 minutes he was almost incessantly on the qui vive, and sometimes it looked any odds on his getting defeated, but his coolness stood him in good stead, and he retired beaming with delight and a clean sheet. Foote upheld his hitherto consistent form this season by playing a dashing, sound defence, while his companion. Hugh Mackay, who was thought the weak spot in the eleven, belied these anticipations and surprised everybody. He was a trifle shaky in his opening kicks, but warmed to his work as the game proceeded, and in the closing 45 minutes he gave a splendid account of himself, tackling with success, and kicking with a daring and strength worthy of a man of more mature experience. We should say his place is now secure in the first eleven. Baird was of immense service, Wight was very useful, and Low worked like a lion, the goai he shot being in itself worthy of commendation. Leggat was the best of the forwards, followed by Gloag and Fraser, and though Innes worked enthusiastically, it cannot be said there was much merit in anything he did. Andrews was in his lazy mood. It is a pity to see such a good forward so lethargic. Gloag gave him two grand opportunities, which he failed to take advantage of, even with an open goal staring him in the face, The only fault to be found with the forwards was their tame shooting. If they had put as much fire in their kicking for goal as they did in their tactics in the open Low would have been beat oftener. On the Aberdeen side, Low ought to have saved No. 1 scored against him - otherwise he was right enough. Wood and Ketchen were often beat, and were not in their best form, though Tom performed creditably in the second period. Thomson's defence at half was the redeeming feature of the white's display. In all departments he excelled. Cobban and Reith were fair, but not agile enough for the tricky tactics of their opponents. The forwards, with one exception, played as good a game as we have seen them do for some time, but found the impregnable defence of the back division of the stripes a trifle too good for them. That was the cause of it! Though Mackie stood out prominently, Whitehead, Morley, and Key were not far behind him, each and all doing their level best to win. By the by, what came of Thomson forward on Saturday?

The Orion gave us another surprise on Saturday by ousting the Aberdeen from the Charity competition.
The feature of the game was the stubborn defence of the winners, Lumsden and the two backs excelling themselves.
The whites had a large share of the play in the open, but generally got checkmated in the close. Better luck next time, gents. The absence of Colin Ross and Singleton from the whites greatly weakened their ranks. There has been quite a shower of ill-natured criticism thrown at Ross for not playing, some going the length of saying he was quite able to play, but stayed out purposely. This is downright nonsense. We have seen the injured limb, and can testify that he would have been nothing short of mad had he entered Saturday's contest, and more than likely it will be several weeks ere he again can with safety don the "whites."

Source: Bon-Accord, 2nd April 1892

The Aberdeen Teamsheet: 


Orion Teamsheet:  Lumsden; Mackay, Foote; Wight, Low, Baird; Fraser, Leggat, Gloag, Innes, Andrews



Related Links: