Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1914-15 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 1 - 2 Third Lanark
Kick Off:    Archibald.       Riley 47, J. W. Smith (pen)  
Attendance: 6,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Two Penalties at Pittodrie
Aberdeen entertained Third Lanark at Pittodrie, before 6000 spectators. Play never reached a high standard, but both defences showed up well. In the first half Aberdeen monopolised the pressure, but were very weak in front of goal, while Brownlie often saved cleverly. Wyllie failed to convert a penalty, and there was no scoring at the interval. Riley scored for Third Lanark with a beautiful shot from the touch-line, while J. W. Smith increased their lead from a penalty. Archibald scored for Aberdeen near the finish.

Source: The Scotsman, 19th October 1914

Aberdeen contributed much to their defeat by Third Lanark in that their goalkeeper was at fault for the first point scored, and one of their defenders gave away a second, and all the forwards were so keen to win that they bungled ever so many chances of securing the equaliser.

Source: Unknown, 19th October 1914

After confining Third lanark to the defensive for three-fourths of the game at Pittodrie, it was calling to the home spectators that Aberdeen should have retired beaten by 2 goals to 1. In the game the standard of play was far below what is expected of First Division teams, but while this was so, the pace at which it was maintained kept up interest in the game. There were numerous exciting passages, notably at the goal-ends, where many chances of scoring were missed by both sides. The feature of the first half was the superb defence put up by both sides, but Maurice specially by Third Lanark, whose rear divisions were very energetic, and never allowed the home attack time to settle for shooting within scoring range. In spite of this, the home forwards, both by misdirected shots and actual misses, lost many favourable opportunities, and while they made ground fast enough their combination was erratic. When it came into the game and near the interval, the Third Lanark attack was equally ineffective, but on the run of the game, and considering that John Wyllie failed to convert a penalty-kick awarded for a foul on Main, Aberdeen were unfortunate to share in a goalless draw at the interval. Two minutes after the commencement of the second half, Riley, outside left, scored from the touch line for Third Lanark, Anderson touching but failing to stay the progress of the ball. Aberdeen were disorganised for a time after the reverse, and in a Third Lanark attack Chatwin handled the ball inside the penalty area, and J. W. Smith scored from the free-kick. From that stage Aberdeen played desperately, and Brownlie saved brilliantly on several occasions. He was, however, deceived by a ball from Archibald, which found the net from long range. Aberdeen strove for the equaliser, and a splendid chance came their way when Lennon completely missed his kick and Cail got possession, but showed a hesitation which was fatal. There were exciting scrimmages near Brownlie, but the visitors defence held out till the end, leaving them rather fortunate winners. There were 6000 spectators.

,b>Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 19th October 1914

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Anderson, Colman, Hume, Chatwin, Wyllie, MacLachlan, Soye, Wylie, Main, Cail, Archibald.

Unused Subs:


Third Lanark Teamsheet:  Brownlie; Lennon, Gibb; Walker, Swift, Hannah; White, Brown, J. Smith, J. W. Smith, Riley


Referee: J. B. Stevenson, Motherwell

Related Links: