Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1892-93 fixture list
Scottish Cup Second Preliminary Round Replay 
The Aberdeen 4 - 2 Orion
Kick Off:    Cobban, ?, Whitehead, Black       Fraser, ?  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Chanonry, Aberdeen
The Aberdeen Go Up Higher.
Chanonry has witnessed many matches of intense interest, but few of them have equalled the intensity of excitement which was to be observed on all hands when, for the second time, the Aberdeen and Orion faced each other in the third round of the Scottish Cup. The meeting was the solo talk of footballers during the past week, and many were the opinions formed as to what the result of the meeting would probably be. That opinion, it was apparent from the conversation of the spectators who visited the match, was pretty equally divided. Many thought that with the expected reappearance of Ewan in place of White in the forward line, the Aberdeen team would be greatly strengthened, while the grand form they exhibited in the closing period of the match on the previous Saturday, if kept up throughout the fixture, would be pretty sure to land the eleven into the fourth round. Other critics, again, pointed to the changes in the Orion team, as tending to strengthen an already formidable combination; but, of course, the supporters of Aberdeen were equally confident that such changes would avail little against the superior combination of their favourites. Others, however, of the more impartial order were unanimous in prophesying that the match would be a close one. The high and bitterly cold wind had no terrors for the followers of the two teams, and by half-past three, when the teams stepped on the field, the barricades were lined from end to end half-a-dozen deep, while the grand stand was packed to suffocation. The teams were: Aberdeen: Ramsay; Ketchen and Wood ; Ross, Singleton, and Cobban; Black, Toman, Ewan, Brown, and Whitehead. Orion: Edwards; Foote and Mackay; Wight, Low, and Baird; Fraser, Macfarlane, Gloag, Forsyth, and Leggat. Referee, Mr J. Robertson, Jate oth K.R.V, Linesmen, Messrs Lumsden and Blann.

Five minutes behind time Orion kicked off against a strong wind. Aberdeen immediately worked down the field and had an opportunity of doing something from touch, but some clever passing thus early in the game by Macfarlane and Gloag gave relief, and the ball being dribbled up field by these two players, the Aberdeen goal had to undergo a slight pressure. Relief soon came, and aided by the wind the Whites got well down, but their efforts came to nought. For a few minutes play continued quiet, till Singleton had a shy at goal, but relief was given by a corner, which, although well placed, was nugatory. The ball was got away, but before it travelled far Wood, by a nice overhead kick, returned it, and Edwards was forced to fist out, which he cleverly did. Shortly afterwards a promising run by the Orion was pulled up sharply by Ross, and within a few minutes Cobban sent in a long shot from left back, which, however, went past. Returning to the charge, the Orion front line gave Ramsay some trouble, and caused him to fist out twice. Ross, always on the lookout, was at hand to give relief. The wind and the snow, which had been coming down from the first of the game, were mainly instrumental in giving both teams throws-in from touch, but nothing was to be obtained from these. So far the game had been pretty free from fouls, but two fell in quick succession to Aberdeen, one right in the goal mouth. From one of these, well placed, Cobban, who was lying handy, headed the ball through, thus scoring the first goal for Aberdeen. This success was, of course, greatly relished by the supporters of Aberdeen, who cheered vociferously. Shortly after the ball had been set in motion, Baird presented his opponents with another foul, and the ball being judiciously placed was sent well into the mouth of the Orion goal, and amid a swarm of players it was hustled through for the second time in favour of Aberdeen. From the restart, Aberdeen had the best of the game, with the exception of one or two occasions, when Orion managed to get down field. The backs, however, were always at hand, and gave the desired relief before Ramsay could be bothered. From a pass from the right wing, Whitehead, who was in a fine position, shot across, the attempt taking effect, this being Aberdeen's third goal. For a few minutes afterwards the Whites had the best of the game, and Baird was forced to give a corner, but the wind carried the ball behind the sticks. Within a minute thereafter Ross got a throw in near the goal, but breaking grandly away Leggat had a beautiful run up, which, however, had a suspicion of off-side, and parking beautifully across the goal mouth Fraser headed through number one for the Orion amid loud cheering, A return visit was immediately paid to Ramsay, but without result, as just when Black was dangerously near the goal mouth the referee pulled him sharply up for off-side. Retaliating, the Orion forwards got to the neighbourhood of Ramsay, who, as usual, had all his wits about him, and fisted grandly out. Again coming down the field Aberdeen began a series of assaults on their opponents' goal, and on one of these occasions Ewan, from a grand shot, just missed scoring by inches. At half-time the score stood: Aberdeen, 3; Orion, 1.

Aberdeen began the second half by paying two visits to the territory of their opponents, but both attempts failed. Whitehead, when he had the goal almost at his mercy, made a miss-kick, greatly to the disappointment of his friends Shortly afterwards Brown and Whitehead had a neat run up on the left, and the latter passed nicely across to Toman, who, however, missed a comparatively easy chance to score. For a time play was pretty equal, until Black, getting hold of the ball, made tracks for the Orion goal, but the combination which ought to have resulted in a goal for Aberdeen was rendered abortive by the smart work of Edwards. Shortly afterwards the same player showed his mettle by keeping out an equally difficult shot, but within a minute of that Black, with the goal at his mercy, walked the ball through for the fourth time for Aberdeen. This success was hailed with perfectly deafening cheers on the part of the friends of Aberdeen, and gloomy looks by the champions of the Stripes. From the kick-off Cobban did some smart work, and again the Whites charged down on Edwards. The whole forward line of Aberdeen took part in the charge, but luck was against them, and on the side of the Orion, and the run ended in nothing. A visit was shortly afterwards paid to the Aberdeen territory, and a foul was given right in front of the goal, but the ball was got rarely away. An amusing incident occurred at this point. A foul followed immediately on the one mentioned above, but Ewan had got the ball, and not having heard the referee's whistle he charged away down the field amid the roars of the crowd. Play after this began to deteriorate greatly, and fouls were so frequent that the referee had to caution several of the players repeatedly. The Orion did the most of the pressing for a time, and Ramsay was called to fist out on one or two occasions, but the pressure only served to bring out his excellence as a custodian. Edwards was also willed upon to save more than once, but he was invariably equal to all the demands made upon him. At last, when pressing Aberdeen in their own goal, the ball was scrimmaged through for the second time. Shortly afterwards Baird, who was most conspicuous in the first half for his foul play and had been repeatedly warned by the referee, indulged in his favourite tactics, and was ordered off the field by Mr Robertson, without doubt the correct proceeding. The remainder of the game was all in favour of the Aberdeen, and when "time" was blown Aberdeen were into the fourth round of the Scottish Cup. Result: Aberdeen, 4; Orion, 2.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 24th October 1892

The disagreeable nature of the weather had little effect on the enthusiasts on Saturday, as quite a large attendance lined the ropes at Chanonry to witness the undecided Scottish Cup tie between the Senior Club and the lads from Central Park. In the two previous encounters of the clubs this season the stripes were fortunate enough to win the toss, but on this occasion luck favoured Captain Ketchen, and the Orion was set to battle against a strong wind and occasional showers of sleet. It cannot be said the whites made the most of their opportunities, the right wing and centre-forward failing to take advantage of many splendid chances. They scored three times, however, to the Orion's once, the latter from a fine run of Leggat's, Fraser putting on the finishing touch. With the same "elemental" conditions at their backs as the whites were favoured with, this would not have been a formidable figure to face, but then the gale lulled considerably in the closing 45 minutes, with the result that play was almost equal, each team scoring a point, the defence of the whites being simply superb, while the attack of Morley and Whitehead was of the most energetic and dashing character. The winning of the toss, and the lulling of the breeze in the second half were great factors in the victory of the whites, and we are sure no unprejudiced onlooker will deny that had the stripes been blessed with the same luck, in all likelihood the boot would have been on the other foot. However, the whites should not be grudged either their luck or their win, and all good and true followers of the game should join in wishing them success in their future ties, and say with us - Well done, Aberdeen, go up higher! The winners have to face the Caledonian at Inverness in the fourth round.


The above frame was not many minutes old when the referee, Mr. Robertson, got his dexter optic fixed on Walter Baird, who had been prancing about in a much too robust style. The official pulled him up, and read him a caution. This had the desired effect for a time, but well on in the second half Wattie was caught in the act of fouling an opponent, and the extreme penalty was enforced - expulsion from the field of play. He took his departure quietly, amid the cheers of the crowd. We command Mr. Robertson for acting so promptly, and trust the lesson will be taken to heart not only by the offender himself but by all who resort to ungentlemanly tactics, which in the end only bring disgrace on themselves, and give their clubs a bad name. Some of the Orion supporters thought the referee rather harsh, one indignant individual alleging that he had been inspired - in other words, put fly to watch certain members of the stripes - but when we consider Mr. Robertson's standing in football circles we cannot for a moment believe that he would have listened to any dictation, and if he was perhaps rather smart at times, he erred in the right direction. His general conduct of the game was admirable, and there was a marked absence of the rough element which heretofore has been but too prevalent in matches between the clubs Of course, like other referees, Mr. R. was not perfect, and made a few mistakes, giving one or two fouls which were not "foul" according to "the book," but these mistakes were no doubt more the result of a desire to make matters pleasant than any intention to play into the hands of either of the teams.

Source: Bon-Accord, 29th October 1892

The Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Ramsay; Ketchen, Wood; Ross, Singleton, Cobban; Black, Toman, Ewan, Brown, Whitehead

Bookings:   Baird

Orion Teamsheet:  Edwards; Foote, Mackay; Wight, Low, Baird; Fraser, Macfarlane, Gloag, Forsyth, Leggat

Bookings:   Baird

Referee: Mr. J. Robertson, 5th K.R.V.

Related Links: