Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1892-93 fixture list
Aberdeenshire Cup First Round 
Orion 13 - 0 Stonehaven
Kick Off:  2:45 PM   Forsyth, Gloag, Macfarlane, From Scrimmage, Gloag, Fraser, Leggat, Currie, Leggat, Macfarlane, Forsyth, Fraser, Fraser        
Attendance: 0
Venue: Central Park, Aberdeen
These teams met at the Central Park in the first round of the Aberdeenshire Cup tie. The weather was very dull, the ground soft, and the attendance was, as on last Saturday, very limited. The teams were Orion: Low; Edwards and Mackay; Wight, Low, and Currie; Fraser, Macfarlane, Forsyth, Gloag, and Leggat. Stonehaven: Valentine ; J. Rennie and Howie; Barclay, Annand, and W. Rennie; Adams, A. Murray, Jack, Thomson, and J. Murray. Referee: Mr Peter Harper. It will be seen that there were several changes in the Orion team. Edwards, instead of playing goal, was taken to back for Foote; Low, who at one time kept goal, was between the sticks; Baird gave place to Currie, and Wight, an old player, took Ross's position at half; while forward, Gloag played inside left, and Forsyth took the vacant, place at centre.

Orion lost the toss, and kicked off down the slope. Why the strangers were so short sighted is a mystery, as the recent rains had made the ground so soft that it was only with the greatest difficulty the players could obtain a footing. Stonehaven were the first to have a look in, but the siege was soon raised, and the Orion found themselves at the other end, where, after five minutes' play, Forsyth drew first blood for the Stripes. For about the next ten minutes the Orion had the best of the play, with the exception of one occasion, when the strangers' forwards got near the north citadel. They were, however, soon forced to retire, and the leather was, by some neat passing on the part of Fraser, Macfarlane, and Forsyth, transferred to the other end of the field. In a twinkling Fraser took up a pass from the left and, centring beautifully to Gloag, gave that player an opportunity to score. It was at once taken advantage of, Gloag registering the second point for the homo team. A couple of minutes later Macfarlane put on number three, and, the Orion still continuing to press, a fourth was immediately added from a scrimmage. Notwithstanding all the efforts of the Stonehaven to relieve the pressure, they completely failed, and the Stripes, swarming round the goal, gave them no rest. Forsyth, who, like the others, was playing a neat game despite the wretched condition of the field, shot well in, and Gloag, who was lying handy, put on the finishing touches, and sent home number five. Shortly after the kick-off the Orion again returned, but J. Murray managed to get on the ball and passing all opposition centred across to Jack who was within a few yards of the home goal. That player, unfortunately for his team, could not shoot straight, and the ball rolled harmlessly past within a few inches of the post. It was certainly hard lines for Stonehaven, but the Orion experienced equal ill luck at the other end, where Forsyth, who was playing grandly, just missed scoring on several occasions. At last, just to relieve the monotony of too frequent close shaves, Fraser put through a sixth point from a pass from Gloag. For a time after this the Orion had it all their own way, the visiting team being unable to make the least headway against the combination of their opponents. Another promising looking run on the part of Murray was again spoiled by Thomson, who feebly sent the ball into the goalkeeper's hands ; and then Fraser managed to make his way down field again into close proximity of the visitors' goal. Centring across, the ball bobbed up and down before the sticks for a few minutes, till Forsyth was able to get an opening. He neatly tipped the leather across to Leggat, who was lying handy, and administered the necessary kick, thus raising the score of the home team to seven. During the remainder of the first period the Orion had all the best of the game, and the interval arrived with the scores standing: Orion, 7; Stonehaven, 0.

The second part of the game began by the Stonehaven men pressing the home defence, and on two or three occasions faulty shooting and miskicking alone prevented them from scoring. The Orion, however, always managed to clear their lines without much difficulty, and subsequently they were enabled to retaliate. After bothering the Stonehaven defence for a time, the home forwards got well within shooting distance and Currie put on the eighth point for Orion; and within a few minutes Leggat scored number nine out of a scrimmage. A few minutes later Orion reached double figures by the aid of Macfarlane, who put through an easy shot. The more goals the Orion managed to get, the more they evidently determined to put on, and keeping up the steam Forsyth scored by means of a pass from Leggat. A minute had not elapsed when the dozen went up from a beautiful piece of work by Leggat and Fraser. The former took up a smart pass, and in turn sent the ball to Fraser who headed it through beautifully. For a long time the Orion were never away from the north goal, and out of the crowd of players Fraser sent the score up to the "baker's dozen." There was no further scoring, and the game ended: Orion, 13 ; Stonehaven, 0.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 21st November 1892



From Central Park.

Foote, Ross, and Baird were absent from the Orion on Saturday, and the team had to be rearranged.
Low of the second went goal, Edwards right-back, Wight took Ross's place, and Currie of the second filled Baird's shoes, while Forsyth went centre, and Gloag partnered Leggat.
In the opening stages of each period Stonehaven showed some fight, but it was only on sufferance, as when the ground men went at it in earnest they very soon collapsed, and were generally acting on the defensive.
For the Orion Low's position was a sinecure. He got a few shots to deal with, and those he disposed of satisfactorily.
Edwards and Mackay were very safe at back, seldom letting anything reach Low.
Jack Low again did honour to himself, his tries for goal being very fine.
Ross was not missed, as Wight played a clever game, and seems to have profited by the short rest. Good health to you, Jim.
Ross, to turn an old saying right-about-face, was "off with the new love and on with the old." The reason of his leaving the Vics, must have been a paltry one when he returns so quickly.
Currie made an auspicious debut in the first eleven. He is possessed of excellent judgment, tackling, placing, or kicking with equal proficiency.
The forwards all did well, but Forsyth in centre was perhaps the most dangerous of the five. He was never flurried in front of goal, but made sure work, every shot going hard, low, and straight for the mark.
Gloag was quite at home in his new place, placing finely to Leggat, especially with his head.
Little Tommie was too many for the six-footer, repeatedly carrying the sphere along the wing, while his centres were always crossed at the right moment.
Macfarlane dodged and passed in his best style, keeping Fraser well supplied.
The latter played a good game, and was always on the spot to take the passes, which he made good use of. scoring one or two beauties. However, he would still further advance were he to shoot and centre on the run.
The Stonehaven men are a speedy lot and can kick well. The material is there, but, in the words of the trainer, this requires "licking into shape." With a good tutor they would very soon blow into a most capable eleven.

Source: Bon-Accord, 26th November 1892

Orion Teamsheet:  Low; Edwards, Mackay; Wight, Low, Currie; Fraser, Macfarlane, Forsyth, Gloag, Leggat


Stonehaven Teamsheet:  Valentine; J. Rennie, Howie; Barclay, Annand, W. Rennie; Adams, A. Murray, Jack, Thomson, J. Murray


Referee: Mr. Peter Harper

Related Links: