Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1892-93 fixture list
Victoria United 4 - 1 Forfar Athletic
Kick Off:  2:45 PM   Stewart, Stewart, Ferries, Annand       Hickie (o.g.)  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Wellington Bridge Grounds, Aberdeen
The well-known Forfar Athletic met the Victoria United at Wellington Grounds, and engaged in a friendly game, in presence of a very large number of spectators. From the fact that the visitors came with a splendid reputation, more than usual interest was manifested in the game, and it was anticipated that the United would have a difficult task to maintain their record of the past few Saturdays unbroken. They, however, had a strong eleven in the field, and the supporters of the Vics were confident that their favourites would again give a good account of themselves. The following were the teams:? Forfar Athletic: Mackersie; Stormonth and Scott; A. Shepherd, Taylor, and Mann; Rodger, Scrimgeour, Anderson, Milne, and Ramsay. Victoria United: Gray ; Thomson and Ririe; Hickie, Stewart, and Ross; Turner, Benzie, Sutherland, Annand, and Ferries. Mr Beaton, Aberdeen, officiated as referee.

Shortly after 2;45 the game commenced, the toss being won by the strangers. Sutherland set the ball in motion, and the home forwards at once initiated a splendid attack upon the Forfar citadel, The effort was futile, but the quality of play exhibited gave promise of a first-class game. Seizing the leather, the Forfar men made up the field, and a corner was speedily gained. The ball was well centred, but the home defence remained invincible, and the visitors were at length compelled to retire to neutral territory. Again, however, they retaliated, and had the misfortune of experience the hardest of hard lines. The ball was brought down to the goal mouth, and it seemed almost impossible that it could be kept from going through, but as fate would have it, the leather refused to pass into the goal, and to the chagrin of the spectators rolled round the outside of one of the posts. Not to be denied, the visitors carried out another brilliant attack, and one of the home team was kind enough to assist them in putting on their first goal. A dozen yards in the front of Gray a foul was allowed Forfar. The free Kick was taken by Mann, and the ball went through off Hickie. This success was received with cheers. Still another foul fell to the lot of the strangers, but on this occasion nothing tangible resulted, the ball rebounding off one of the Vics and ultimately going into touch. The sphere was finely centred, but the United had all their wits about them, and rushed the leather with amazing rapidity to their opponents' citadel. Do as they would, however, the Vics could not maintain their occupancy of the Forfar ground, and they had the misfortune of allowing the visitors to get another foul kick in proximity to their citadel. The defence remained unbroken, and the United then had an opportunity of trying their skill at shooting. By moans of judicious passing the Whites (the Vics seem to have dis¬carded the blue uniform) managed to get into an advantageous position, and the fouling of the leather by one of the defenders aided them. A good shot was directed to the goal's mouth, but the centre half-back was just where he was required, and smartly kicked the sphere to the middle of the field. After a spell of less interesting play another attack was carried out by the Vics. The ball failed to go home, thanks to the Forfar goalkeeper, who, be it mentioned, had up to this time played a magnificent game. Time after time he cleverly cleared his lines, and completely baffled the combined strength of the United. At half time the score stood: Forfar Athletic 1: Victoria United, 0.

After a brief interval the game was resumed, and almost from the start the home players gave the Forfar team enough to do. The match was only a couple of minutes old when a corner was conceded to the Aberdonians. Although the kick was taken with much care, nothing was made of it, and another corner resulted similarly. Before the defenders could get the Vics to a safe distance, however, another attack more vigorous than its predecessors was made, and Stewart had the honour of equalising the score. An outburst of applause welcomed this success and urged on the united to still greater exertion. Another corner kick almost proved fatal to the strangers, the ball grazing the crossbar; and notwithstanding that the play was shortly afterwards transferred to midfield, once again the homesters turned their faces to the north goal. After a short scrimmage point number two was added to the Aberdeen total by Stewart, and in five minutes Ferries, with the assistance of Annand, put on a third. But this did not satisfy the Vics. From the neutral line another rush was made, and in about two minutes after the last success Annand scored goal number four. A subsequent scrimmage looked as if it would be fruitful, but the defence was more successful on this occasion, and after a stiff tussle the Forfar men got on the ball, and safely piloted it up the field. As indicated by the score, the United were now having much the best of the game. It was only at rare intervals that the Forfar team succeeded in getting into the Aberdeen territory, and on these occasions they were speedily repulsed. There was no more scoring, and a keen match ended: Victoria United, 4; Forfar Athletic, 1.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 21st November 1892



From the Wellington Grounds.

The Forfar lads got an eye opener from the all-conquering Wellingtonians.
The visitors, with the wind in their favour, taxed the Vic's defence to some tune in the opening half, but thanks to the resolute and daring defence of Stewart, Hickie, Ross, Ririe, and Thomson, combined with some good goalkeeping on the part of Gray and the spirited attacks of the whole fine of forwards, Forfar could only manage to draw blood.
With the breeze at their backs the "whites" went off at a gallop, which they kept up till the call of time, scoring four tries, the game thus ending in a brilliant victory for the home team by 4 points to 1.
Gray was all right in goal, but was not overburdened with work.
Ririe played dashingly at back, picking the ball from his opponent's feet in rare style.
Thomson was energetic and courageous, his services being often very useful. However, he could with advantage tone down his risibility.
The half-backs present a fine defence, and should Ross stay with his old love, they will take some getting round.
Stewart set his companions a fine example by playing up to his great reputation.
Ross signalized his re-entry into the team by giving as fine an exposition of half-back play as he has ever been responsible for since he came to Aberdeen, being specially useful in his feeding of the forwards.
Hickie played a breezy, energetic game, tackling and kicking most effectively.
The forwards are getting beautifully into order, and are now working together in capital combination.
Turner and Benzie make a splendid wing. The newcomer is very unselfish, and keeps Rab going all the time. He put in some distinctly brilliant work on Saturday, passing and dodging very finely, while he also surprised the boys by letting fly a real stinger at Muckersie, which, however, that deft defender turned aside. Rab has indeed renewed his youth, and is going as well as in his best days. At goalmouth he is the most dangerous man of the five, while he is upsides with any of them in the open.
Sutherland makes satisfactory progress in centre. He is not flashy, and is still somewhat slow, but he has all his wits about him, and keeps the wings busy, not forgetting to strike out at goal when anything likely presents itself to him.
Ferris and Annand were as clever as their compeers on the other side, the first named shooting splendidly, but his companion spoiled his otherwise good display by losing his temper. The referee talked to him, but Mr Beaton gave the players too much rope ere this incident occurred, and was himself not without blame. Pull yourself up, John, and sit on "the unruly member" If you don't you will rue it, as should you chance to come across a whistle blower of the type of "Mr Robertson of Glasgow" you will find in him quite a different personage to "Mr Beaton of Aberdeen."
Poor unoffending Benzie got tripped up by an opponent, and this obstreperous individual ought to have got his hair combed.
Mr Beaton may have done his best as referee, but he is not a giant at the game.

Source: Bon-Accord, 26th November 1892

Victoria United Teamsheet:  Gray; Thomson, Ririe; Hickie, Stewart, Ross; Turner, Benzie, Sutherland, Annand, Ferries


Forfar Athletic Teamsheet:  Mackersie; Stormonth, Scott; A. Shepherd, Taylor, Mann; Rodger, Scrimgeour, Anderson, Milne, Ramsay


Referee: Mr. Beaton, Aberdeen

Related Links: