Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1914-15 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Rangers 1 - 1 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Hendry       Wylie.  
Attendance: 10,000
Venue: Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow
Level Game at Ibrox
At Glasgow the Rangers should have beaten Aberdeen, yet were glad enough to draw, seeing that in the second half they lost Lock, their goalkeeper, injured, while Gordon, the right half-back was lame, and Duncan, the outside right, had to go off the field, also lame, for a part of the first half. These incidents spoiled what promised to be a capital game. There was no scoring in the first half. Hendry gave the Rangers the lead eight minutes after the restart, and ten minutes from the end, when Lock was in the pavilion, W. Wylie equalised for Aberdeen. Manderston made a good League debut for the Rangers. Aberdeen were strong in defence..

Source: The Scotsman, 29th March 1915

Aberdeen, who had an easy win against Airdrieonians the previous week, brought off another good performance in drawing Rangers at Ibrox Park. Rangers, however, were unfortunate in losing their goalkeeper, Lock, after a quarter of an hour's play in the second half. Lock's injury was of a serious nature, his nose being broken. Rangers introduced their new back, Manderson, of Belfast Glenavon. About 10,000 spectators were present. After some give and take play at the outset, Soye and Walker got well through, but Cail was unable to take advantage of the cross. Fast play of an equal nature followed, neither side, however, showing up well in the shooting department. Cairns for Rangers, had a try, but Greig was in the proper place and saved. Aberdeen were in a dangerous mood after this incident, and Lock saved smartly from Cail.

Early in the second half Hendry scored for Rangers at about 20 yards' range. Following this success for the Light Blues, Aberdeen had to profitless corners. Lock collided, when about half an hour's play remained, with two Aberdeen players, and had to retire, Craig going into goal. Aberdeen's equalizing goal was obtained by W. Wyllie, who rounded Manderson and gave Craig no chance.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 29th March 1915,/p>

N.B. The Evening Express reported that a mob of about 1000 waited outside Ibrox and attacked some of the Aberdeen players when they came out. Colman had his head cut by a stone and all were kicked or punched. The police had to make a baton charge to disperse the crowd.
Rangers Teamsheet:  Lock; Manderson, Craig; Gordon, Pursell, Logan; Duncan, Bowie, Reid, Cairns, Hendry


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Greig, Colman, Munro, Chatwin, Wyllie, MacLachlan, Soye, Walker, Cail, Main, Wylie.

Unused Subs:


Referee: Mr. H. Humphrey, Maryhill

Related Links: