Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1915-16 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 2 - 2 Dumbarton
Kick Off:    Main, Walker 33.       McGregor, O'Neil  
Attendance: 4,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
On the whole Dumbarton were fortunate to share the points at Aberdeen. They were defending for the greater part of the game, and were completely pinned to their own half of the field in the last thirty minutes. Aberdeen led at the interval by a goal, their shooting being wretched, and the Dumbarton forwards, playing nippy football, scored twice in fifteen minutes after the resumption. The rest of the game was Aberdeen's, and that they did not score oftener than once must be put down to their own indifferent finishing and the clever work of Hamilton, the Dumbarton goalkeeper. The crowd of 4000 had little to enthuse over except when Aberdeen were battling for their second goal.

Source: The Scotsman, 30th August, 1915

The opening game of the season at Aberdeen to a fair attendance of spectators to Pittodrie. Between 4000 and 5000 people were present, a very large proportion being men in khaki. A slight rainfall was experienced at the commencement of the game, while during the whole of the second half there was a continuous heavy shower. There were several changes in the Aberdeen team which lost so badly at Kilmarnock the previous Saturday. J. Wyllie was at centre half, Walker at inside right, and Hume at left back in place of Munro, who was injured at Kilmarnock.

Aberdeen won the toss, but as there was little wind, but chose amended brought practically no advantage. Dumbarton were the first to get on the offensive, the did not seriously troubled the home defence. Aberdeen raided in turn, but the movement spent itself without result. For some time play was of the end-to-end order. Wyllie nipped in and repelled a rush by Dumbarton front line. Aberdeen again made progress, and Archibald had a lovely try for goal from the touch line, and the ball grazed the crossbar before going out of play. The visitors left wing were showing two advantage, when Wyllie averted danger by conceding a corner. The resultant kick from the flag sent the ball nicely into position, but none of the Dumbarton men could get possession, and Hume headed clear. After some midfield exchanges, the home side attacked and forced two corners, which proved fruitless. Colman came into the picture very prominently in repelling and determined raid by McGregor and Thom. Aberdeen's front line again got on the move. First Main made a bold attempt to penetrate the opposing lines, but was drawn up when he had got into shooting range. Walker followed with an individual effort, but could not get a suitable opening. Moving speedily, Dumbarton progress through Aberdeen's territory, but were unable to improve upon the corner which was awarded them. Some minutes later it was Aberdeen's turn to get the corner, but Main sent behind. The centre forward had a capital try immediately afterwards. Leaving the backs behind him he finished with a beautiful shot, which Hamilton saved with difficulty. About 12 minutes from the interval walker scored for Aberdeen with a fast oblique shot. Give and take play ensued.


On the resumption Dumbarton made off, but did no damage. Hume returned the ball to midfield. The visitors made another onset, and Colman gave a corner. As the result Anderson was severely tested by Thom, but was equal to the occasion. Archibald shone in attack by Aberdeen. After some excellent manoeuvring the left-winger crossed delightfully, but Hamilton was safe and cleared his lines skilfully. The game know underwent a transformation, Dumbarton getting on the lead before Aberdeen knew where they were. First McGregor scored, and then, a couple of minutes later, O'Neil gave Dumbarton a second point. The game reached its most exciting stage after this success for the visitors. Aberdeen strove vigorously to equalise the game, but for some time it seemed that fortune was against them. At length, however, Main scored with a shot which must have completely deceived Hamilton, as the ball seemed to go into the net in comparatively easy fashion. Until the end Aberdeen were almost continually on the offensive. At one stage the secured a series of corners, numbering about eight, but were unable to get on the lead. All over the game was hard fought, though it lacked brilliancy.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 30th August 1915

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Anderson, Colman, Hume, Chatwin, Wyllie, Brewster, Wylie, Walker, Main, Robertson, Archibald.

Unused Subs:


Dumbarton Teamsheet:  Hamilton; McGrory, Gunn; Chalmers, Gilchrist, McPhie; Ritchie, Travers, O'Neal, McGregor, Thom


Referee: A. A. Allan, Glasgow

Related Links: