Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1915-16 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Partick Thistle 3 - 0 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Ramsay, Bowie, Bowie        
Attendance: 5,000
Venue: Firhill, Glasgow
At Firhill Park, Glasgow, before about 6000 spectators Partick Thistle and Aberdeen opposed each other. The game opened quietly, and for a time Aberdeen were confined to their own end. The defence was in first-class form. After clever play by Whittle, the ball was rushed across to Ramsay, who cleverly opened the Thistle's account. In the second half there was much clever play, and Aberdeen were unfortunate when in the vicinity of Campbell. The Thistle them took a firm hold of the game, and it was no surprise when Bowie quickly added two goals.

Source: The Scotsman, 4th October 1915

Aberdeen visited Firhill Park and played Partick Thistle. There was a good attendance when Aberdeen kicked off. Wright and J. Wyllie were prevented by business from playing for Aberdeen. From the kick-off Aberdeen rushed ahead, and the thistle goalkeeper had to handle. After this, however, the Aberdeen goal was subjected to considerable pressure, and it was only the hard work of a strong defense which prevented the home team from scoring. The Thistle showed good footwork in attack. Aberdeen had a few runs down, but the forwards displayed their old weakness near goal, and are seemed to be little understanding among them. The Thistle defence proved equal to every call made. After this play was more evenly distributed, but the forwards could not get through the defences. The game was devoid of interesting features, and the play was not of a high order. Thistle fell away for a while, but came away strongly towards the end of the first half and scored. The shot which led to the goal was stopped by the goalkeeper, but he did not manage to get it away, and another forward rushing up sent it home.

Thistle pressed on resuming, and the Aberdeen backs and goalkeeper were kept busy. The Aberdeen custodian had numerous smart saves to his credit. Aberdeen replied with a smart run. Main got possession about 10 yards out, but he drove at random and nothing resulted. The Thistle strongly replied to this attack, and secured another point. A few minutes later thistle got another goal. Aberdeen played very hard after these reverses, but they could not make up the leeway.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 4th October 1915

Partick Thistle Teamsheet:  Campbell; Caffrey, Adams; Morrison, Stevenson, McMillan; Honeyman, G. S. Ramsay, Whittle, MacTavish, Bowie


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Anderson, Colman, Hume, Chatwin, Brewster, MacLachlan, Grant, Jamieson, McLeod, Main, Archibald.

Unused Subs:


Referee: J. B. Stevenson, Motherwell

Related Links: