Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1892-93 fixture list
Northern League 
The Aberdeen 2 - 4 Our Boys, Dundee
Kick Off:    Brown, White       ?, George, George, From Scrimmage  
Attendance: 2,000
Venue: Chanonry, Aberdeen
The crack Dundee team Our Boys travelled north to meet Aberdeen in the Northern League competition. On account of the way in which the strangers have been playing this season, and the character of the meetings of the teams last year, considerable interest was manifested in the match, and when within a few minutes of three o'clock the players appeared on the field they were heartily received by a crowd of fully 2000 spectators. The teams were: Aberdeen: Ramsay; Ketchen, Wood; Anderson, Cobban, Ewen; Ross, White, Toman, Brown, Murray. Our Boys: Balfour; Fleming, Gibson; Matthew, McNaughton, Cuthbert; Thomson, George, Dundas, Martin, Malloch. Referee: Mr Hunter, Montrose.

Aberdeen kicked off, and after the strangers had paid a short visit to the home territory, the "Whites" went eastwards, and Murray early distinguished himself by a run on the outside left. The result, unfortunately for Aberdeen, was only a goal kick, but they kept up the pressure. Within a few minutes, however, Our Boys by a piece of judicious passing got down, but the back defence was too good. Aberdeen again broke away, and Morley showed a piece of smart tackling, but Our Boys were not to be denied, and again returned to the charge. They went down the field in fine style, and it looked as if Ramsay's charge was in danger, but the shot was made at goal when all danger was past, and Ramsay easily gave relief with a big kick. A second visit was shortly afterwards made to the home goal, but it was kept intact. For a time play was uninteresting, nothing particularly noticeable being done by either team. Our Boys showed some good passing, and their heading was also very smart. The Whites, too, gave evidence of some creditable work. After a period of give-and-take play the Whites by means of judicious passing managed to get well down the field, but White, who took up a pass from the left, made a mistake in not passing to Anderson, who had a good chance. Instead of doing so he kept the ball far too long, and at length sent it inČto touch. The homesters kept up the pressure, but they were unable to get through the defence, which was admirable. The strangers after this retaliated, but their efforts to score, persistent though they were, were rendered futile by the defence of Ketchen and Wood.
Our Boys, after undergoing some pressure at their own goal mouth, which providentially escaped, returned to the charge, and, getting down in front of Ramsay, compelled the home defence to put in all the work they could. At last, after a short period of this pressure, Dundee easily beat the Aberdeen custodian, and scored the first goal for Our Boys. Apparently put on their metal by this reverse, the Whites came down the field in fine style. Ross piloted the leather smartly down the right, but the parting shot at goal was ineffectual, and allowed the Dundonians to break away. This they did in smart fashion, showing quick and sure work on the ball, and it was thought for a time that Ramsay would be unable to withstand the ever-recurring attacks that were made on him. The backs, however, like Ramsay, were equal to all the calls made upon them, and averted further disaster. Our Boys had all the best of the play for a long time, save on one or two occasions, when Aberdeen put in a spurt, and broke away. On one of these occasions the homesters' front rank went off in fine style, and it looked as if the Dundee defence was to have been pierced. A corner had to be conceded, but bad placing spoiled the chance of Aberdeen to equalise the score. However, they kept up the pressure, and sent in shot after shot, but all without avail. Only once did the strangers get off, and even then their efforts were wholly unavailing, for the Whites always came back. On the occasion of one of these returns the Dundee goal was practically at the mercy of Aberdeen, but Toman, who smartly book up a pass from Ross, shot erratically and nothing resulted. Our Boys next had a turn, but Ramsay fisted out smartly, and again Aberdeen returned to the attack. Toman had another shot at the goal but the ball went wide. A spell of somewhat uninteresting play followed. Our Boys, if anything, having the best of it, Aberdeen, however, were not to be denied, and, as they had frequently done during the earlier part of the game, they came down to the east goal. Brown had a shy at the citadel, and sent in one all along the ground. Everyone expected that the Dundee custodian would have had no difficulty in averting the downfall of his charge, but to the great delight of the Aberdeen supporters he made only a half kick, and the leather rolled through the goal, this being the first point for Aberdeen.
This success was extremely popular, and shouts of "Play up Whites" came frequently from the spectators to encourage their favourites. However, no further scoring was done till half-time, which came with the scores standing: Aberdeen 1, Our Boys 1.

The second period opened with Our Boys pressing. Aberdeen, however, were equal to all emergencies and easily managed to keep their goal safe from further disaster. Only once did they press in the earlier part of this half, but Our Boys had no difficulty in rendering the attempt to score abortive. They shortly afterwards retaliated and forced the Whites to concede a corner, but Malloch made a bad place kick, and Ramsay's charge remained intact. A foul, too, fell to the strangers, but nothing came of it, with the exception that the homesters broke away, and Murray and Brown on the left wing put in some smart work. Luck was against the Whites, however, and even when they had a chance and the leather well sent in from the right, it struck the post and rebounded into play. Further pressure on the part of Aberdeen was of no avail, and at length the strangers got within shooting distance of the Aberdeen goal and George sent in one which Ramsay could not negotiate, thus putting the strangers one up. Play after this was of a give and take nature, both goals being visited in turn. On one of these occasions, Our Boys looked dangerous and Ramsay was compelled to use his hands. Relief was given for a short time, but the strangers were not to be denied and again returned. Their efforts, however, were of no avail, a goal kick only resulting, Aberdeen then began to work their way down the field, and by dint of some really capital passing got within shooting distance of the Dundee goal, and White getting the ball and a good opportunity to score at the same time, walked the leather through a second time, and thus equalised the scores, amid loud cheers from the Aberdeen followers. It seemed as if the same thing were done within a couple of minutes, and again the crowd cheered, but to their great disappointment only a goal kick was the result. Again did Dundee retaliate, and for a few minutes Ramsay had a bad time of it, but he was always cool, and quite equal to all demands made upon him. Within a few minutes a corner fell to Our Boys. It was neatly placed, and from it a goal resulted, George sending in a stinger which Ramsay could not save, and thus scoring the third goal for Dundee. The remainder of the game contained no specially outstanding features in the play. Both goals were visited in turn, and a fourth point was added by Dundee from a scrimmage. There was no further scoring, and the whistle blew with the scores standing: Our Boys 4, Aberdeen 2.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 30th January 1893



From Chanonry.

The Montrose pay their third visit this season to Aberdeen today (Saturday), the Aberdeen playing them at Chanonry. The kick-off's timed for 3 o'clock.
The gathering at Chanonry was very satisfactory, considering the disagreeable afternoon.
Frank Whitehead and Singleton were unable to play, and Murray of Stonehaven and "Anderson" were pressed into the team.
Colin Ross partnered White, and Murray stoud alongside Morley.
The rearrangement was not a success, and it was to be deplored that the energetic left-winger and Singleton were absent, as had they been there we are convinced the whites would have made a much better appearance.
The Boys worked well together, and thoroughly deserved their win.
It wasn't the case of the best team losing this time, by a long, long way.
The fine combined passing oi the strangers in the first half was much admired, and deserved better luck, and though they scored 3 goals in the second period to 1 in the first, the play in the initial stage was the most scientific.
The backs performed very creditably, kicking - all capable players - and when they stuck to the passing game were invariably dangerous.
The forwards were very prettily fed by the halves straighter and tackling very much smarter than our men.
Bslfour is a smart custodian, and how he managed to bungle that soft shot of Morley's goodness only knows. The crowd cheered and laughed by turns at the discomfiture; and Balfour crept into his shoes. This was the only mistake he made, however, and his companions should not have been hard upon him.
The form displayed by the city men was disappointing, and they were lucky in not getting a much severer beating.
Ramsay saved them. He was indeed in capital trim, the brilliant way he circumvented the clever Juteopian forwards - not once or twice, but often - calling forth hearty demonstrations all round the enclosure. It was a delightful exhibition. Keep on in the same way, Archie, and you'll soon have no equal in these parts.
By the way, Archibald, is it true that Dudas showed his teeth? It surely must have been something serious when he was so profuse in his apologies.
Ketchen was distinctly the better back, Alec Wood kicking into touch with irritating frequency.
Cobban took honours at half. Ewan played a quiet and effective game, and "Anderson" was a trier all the 90 minutes.
The forwards never once got into combined order playing with absolutely no judgment.
Morley and Toman were the best.
Ross, of course, was out of his water, and didn?t deserve the wild critiques the dailies gave him. It was ungenerous - very.
White was completely off for once, and Murray though he got many chances from Morley, seemed to be weighted down with the importance of the occasion.
The latter, however, is a speedy lad, and on acquaintance ought to strengthen the line. GIVE him a good trial, Messieurs of the Committee.

Source: Bon-Accord, 4th February 1893

The Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Ramsay; Ketchen, Wood; Anderson, Cobban, Ewen; Ross, White, Toman, Brown, Murray


Our Boys, Dundee Teamsheet:  Balfour; Fleming, Gibson; Matthew, McNaughton, Cuthbert; Thomson, George, Dundas, Martin, Malloch


Referee: Mr. J. R. Hunter, Montrose

Related Links: