Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1892-93 fixture list
Northern League 
Arbroath 5 - 2 The Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Johnstone, Hutton, Hutton, Petrie, ?       ?, ?  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Gayfield Park, Arbroath
These teams played off a Northern League fixture at Gayfield on Saturday. The following were the teams: Aberdeen: Ramsay; Singleton, Wood; Ross, Cobban, Wood; Pope, White, Tiernan, Brown, Murray. Arbroath; Murray; Drummond, Low; Waterton, Rennie, Rae; Petrie, Findlay, Johnston, Hutton, Wishart. A pretty large number of spectators lined the ropes, notwithstanding the extremely disagreeable nature of the weather. The referee was Mr Macdonald, Peebles.
Johnstone started the play for the Arbroath. Johnstone scored the first goal for the maroons. Aberdeen soon had a spirited run, and after a brief siege they were successful in equalising the score. The result at half-time was: Arbroath, 1; Aberdeen, 1.
The visitors opened the second half by a run in the direction of their opponents' goal, but the maroons retaliated, and contrived to secure the best of the game for some time. Hutton scored twice in quick succession, and after a capital defence the strangers' custodian had shortly afterwards to again capitulate. This point, however, was disallowed, and a number of opportunities in the shape of corners and foul kicks then fell to Aberdeen, but were not taken advantage of. Petrie thereafter scored the fourth goal for the maroons. During the remaining portion of the game each of the teams scored one goal, the final result being: Arbroath, 5;Aberdeen, 2.

Source: Dundee Courier, 13th February 1893


A Disappointing Result

The Aberdeen went to Arbroath without Tom Ketchen, business considerations keeping the popular captain at home. The ground was fairly good to start with, but in 20 minutes' time down came a tremendous snow-rain shower, and rendered it a complete quagmire. 5 to 2 may indicate the Maroons had it pretty much their own way, but such was not the case, the Whites, if anything doing the most of the pressing, and were decidedly worth a draw. Extreme dissatisfaction was expressed at the decisions and modus operandi of the referee, who took up a position about midfield, and never followed the game. He was entirely wrong with three goals which he granted to the Arbroath, one of which went past the outside of the post, and the other two were glaringly off-sides. The Arbroath crowd, however, behaved admirably. They seemed to be present to applaud outstanding ability irrespective of the teams, which of course should be the universal mission of spectators, and would greatly tend to popularise the game. Ramsay maintained his reputation, and Singleton sprung a mine among his companions by his excellent play at back, but Alec Wood did not approach his best form. Colin Ross and Cobban worked like Trojans, and it was really most vexatious to see the forwards nullify the many opportunities given them by this splendid pair of halves. Ewan worked quietly and effectively, and only wants to infuse a little more go into his play to make him a most capable player. Bar Morley, the forwards were lame, invariably passing the ball in the air, thereby allowing their opponents' craniums to intervene. Keep the ball on the carpet, gents.

Source: Bon-Accord, 18th February 1893

Arbroath Teamsheet:  Murray; Drummond, Low; Waterton, Rennie, Rae; Petrie, Findlay, Johnston, Hutton, Wishart


The Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Ramsay; Singleton, Wood; Ross, Cobban, Wood; Pope, White, Tiernan, Brown, Murray


Referee: Mr. MacDonald, Peebles

Related Links: