Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1892-93 fixture list
Orion 10 - 0 Glasgow Wanderers
Kick Off:  2:30 PM   Forsyth, Gloag, Macfarlane, Fraser, Macfarlane, Gloag, Macfarlane, Fraser, Oppnent o.g.,        
Attendance: 0
Venue: Central Park, Aberdeen
The Orion at the Central Park met the Glasgow Wanderers in a friendly encounter. The weather was cold and threatening, but there was a good attendance of spectators. The ground was in pretty fair condition. Teams: Orion: Edwards; Foote, Mackay; Wight, Low, Baird; Fraser, McFarlane, Forsyth, Gloag, Leggat. Wanderers: McLintock; Madden, McClymont; McColl, Brown, McInnes; Stirling, McGuire, McMillan, Barbour, McClymont. Mr John Mackay was referee.

It was nearly half-an-hour past the advertised time when, the Wanderers having won the toss and elected to kick down the slope, Forsyth started hostilities. For the first few minutes play was general until the Wanderers got well down, but the ball was smartly returned and immediately the strangers' goal was menaced. Relief soon came, and then the ball was transferred to the other end, but Barbour's parting shot went wild. Gloag and Leggat were next conspicuous with a prettily combined run on the left, but nothing resulted. Several other runs, particularly one in which Fraser, McFarlane, and Forsyth took part, were heartily applauded, but the result was nil. At length, about ten minutes from the start, the Orion forwards went off with a rush, and McLintock rushing out of goal to save, missed an easy shot, and thus allowed Forsyth to score the first goal for the Orion. After this play was, for a time, of a give-and-take character, the only outstanding feature being a smart run on the part of the homesters, which unfortunately was spoiled by a foul being given against them right in front of the Wanderers' goal. The strangers then retaliated, and Stirling had a comparatively easy chance, but his shot went right across the goalmouth, and found its way behind. Again going up the field in fine style, the Orion forwards passed all opposition, and kept McLintock, Madden, and McClymont busy. Their persistence was at last rewarded, Gloag giving the ball the finishing touch and scoring the second goal for the Orion. The home forwards were playing a good, steady, game, and literally walking round their opponents, who were giving a poor exhibition. Within a few minutes of the scoring of the second goal the Orion five were up at McLintock, and from a scrimmage a third point was added by McFarlane. Not long afterwards Forsyth had a grand chance to score, but made a wretched kick. However, the next chance was not thrown away, Fraser doing the needful within a minute afterwards, and scoring number four. McFarlane added a fifth shortly afterwards, and then as if to make amends the strangers broke away. Barbour got the goal at his mercy, but made a poor attempt to score, the ball going high over the bar. Half-time came with the score standing: Orion, 5; Wanderers, 0.

Within a minute of the kick-off Gloag added a sixth point for the Orion, and it appeared as if a seventh would be scored almost directly, the Orion forwards swarming round the custodian, but McLintock saved smartly. Within the next ten minutes the strangers only once got within range of Edwards, the game being confined to the vicinity of the south goal, which had some marvelous escapes. A seventh point was added by McFarlane, and for a long time afterwards the game was exclusively confined to the Wanderers' territory. However the Orion found it difficult to get past the defence of McLintock, who had wonderfully improved and kept out some stinging shots. The forwards of the Wanderers then retaliated, but could never get past the defence of the home backs, who returned the leather well down the field. From one of these returns it was well taken and carried to McLintock, who had a hot three minutes of it, and ultimately the eighth point for the Stripes was put on by Fraser. After this several corners fell to the Orion, but luck appeared to have deserted them, and do as they liked they could not score. However, within a few minutes from time they managed to get a ninth point - the ball rebounding off one of the Wanderers' backs and going through. Nettled at this the strangers broke away, and paid a visit to Edwards, but the defence was too strong, and the Orion forwards coming away with a rush sent the ball past McLintock for the tenth time. There was no further scoring, and the game ended: Orion, 10; Wanderers, 0.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 13th February 1893


From Central Park.

The Orion Score a Double Figure.

Though we were quite aware that the Glasgow Wanderers were not a first-class combination, we were not prepared to see the stripes waltz them to the tune of 10 goals to nil. To say the game was a one-sided one, is to speak very mildly, as from the initial blow of the whistle to the final toot thereof, the Orion held the upper hand. Scientific manipulation of the leather is such an uncommon commodity in these parts, that when it does come it is the more appreciated, and the beautiful combined play of the Orion men was greatly relished by all lovers of the sport present. Edwards' position in goal was not altogether a sinecure, but what little danger threatened him he turned aside in his usual clever style, though once or twice he had great difficulty in keeping his charge intact. As a pair, Foote and Mackay stood out in bold relief when compared with their opponents, blocking and tackling very cleverly, while their kicking was strong and particularly well placed. Foote is generally safe, but Mackay occasionally causes some little uneasiness among the supporters of the stripes. There was no occasion for fear on. Saturday, as Mackay pleased even the most fastidious critics by his energetic and effective play, the best display he has been responsible for since his elevation. The half-back trio were in great form. Wight tackled smartly and cleverly passed accurately when he had his forwards in his line, and placed nicely into goal when those in front of him were down on McLintock. Jack Low was himself again! From start to finish he was in the van, and when near the opposing goal, he was in it! Baird was steady, clever, and always dangerous. Indeed, Wattie has only to keep cool to be in evidence in any match he takes part in. We could not lavish too much praise on the forward line - they were all good. Fraser threw off that nervous and indecisive way he has of going about business, and for once in a way treated the onlookers to a really excellent performance. Macfarlane was in his happiest mood, and kept his partner always on the hop. In centre Forsyth acted the part well, passing and shooting, when he had the chance, in Al style. Gloag and Leggat sustained finely throughout, exercising conspicuous judgement in all they did. Indeed the first-named came back to his best form with a bound, and Leggat sustained that consistent form that has characterised his work during the season. The strangers have an excellent custodian, and a really smart line of forwards, but their defensive powers - especially the backs - was far too weak for the enthusiastic onslaughts of the stripes. However, it would have taken a much stronger team than the St Mungo lads to have coped with the brilliant combination of the Orion, and if they can only play up standard exhibited on this occasion on Saturday the 25th, their supporters may rest assured that if they don't actually win outright, they will give the blues a rare good fight for the blue ribbon.

Source: Bon-Accord, 18th February 1893

Orion Teamsheet:  Edwards; Foote, Mackay; Wight, Low, Baird; Fraser, Macfarlane, Forsyth, Gloag, Leggat


Glasgow Wanderers Teamsheet:  McLintock; Madden, McClymont; McColl, Brown, McInnes; Stirling, McGuire, McMillan, Barbour, McClymont


Referee: Mr John Mackay

Related Links: