Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1892-93 fixture list
Northern League 
The Aberdeen 5 - 1 Fair City Athletic
Kick Off:    Brown, Whitehead, Murray, Whyte, ?       Pennycook  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Chanonry, Aberdeen
A good attendance of spectators congregated at Chanonry Grounds to witness the above teams play off their return match in the Northern League championship. The following were the teams:- Aberdeen: Ramsay; Ketchen, Singleton; Ross, Cobban, Ewen; Murray, Whyte, Toman, Brown, Whitehead. Fair City: Arnot; Duff, McKeown; Bisset, Petrie, Miller; Pennycook, Moir, Henderson, Gardiner, Doig. Additional interest was lent to the fixture owing to the fact that McKeown, the famed Celt and English internationalist, was included in the strangers' team.

Aberdeen lost the toss, and Toman kicked off with the sun in their faces, and for the first few minutes play was confined to the strangers' half. Getting away on the ground, which was in splendid condition, the Fair City lads had a run down the field, but Singleton intercepting turned them to the right about. A foul against McKeown near goal looked bad for the strangers; they, how¬ever, cleared their lines. Getting away on the right, Murray and White had a good run, and from a judicious pass "Morley" shot a beauty of a goal. In less than a minute the whites, through White-head, scored No. 2. The whites so far were clearly having the best of the game, the forwards showing improved combination. The ball continued towards the Aberdeen goal, but went harmlessly behind. The strangers were immediately afterwards rewarded with a corner, which, although well placed, failed to be turned to account. So far, the strangers' left wing showed good tactics, and Colin Ross was having a warm time of it. Doig had a splendid try, which missed by inches. Away went the Aberdeen from the kick-off and a likely chance was spoiled by grand defensive play of McKeown, who time and again was repeatedly cheered for his strong and clean kicking. The strangers set their faces to the attack, and the forwards succeeded in working the ball to the other end, but weak shooting spoiled a likely chance. From a throw in near mid-field the Whites broke away, and Arnot, the visitors' goalkeeper, was called upon to save a hard shot from Toman. Immediately after a golden opportunity was lost by one of the Aberdeen forwards shooting recklessly past. For a short time the play was in midfield, and there the ball travelled from end to end until Toman broke away, and finished up by giving Doig a stinger to turn aside, which he did in a masterly style. Play now ranged from end to end of the field, both goalkeepers being called upon on several occasions. The forwards on both sides were playing well. Half-time ended with the score standing : Aberdeen 2; Fair City 0.

Play was equal at the commencement of the second period, and a foul against Cobban for hands let the strangers have a look in. Whitehead now careered briskly down the field towards the visitors' goal, and McKeown stepping in just saved in the nick of time. Shortly after Whitehead sent in a long shot, and Toman attending to the goalkeeper the ball glided through. The referee, however, disallowed the point. From the kick-off play was carried into the Whites' territory, but by splendid tackling on the part of Ketchen and Singleton the attack was turned aside. The Whites then assumed the aggressive, and, after a severe attack, were rewarded with a third goal, Murray giving the ball the parting touch. Smarting under probable defeat the visitors came away with great dash, and but for weak shooting would have given Ramsay no end of trouble to keep his goal intact. Through Whyte, who carried the ball almost the whole length of the field, Aberdeen again lowered the Fair City's colours. Whitehead and Brown were showing up well on the left. The visitors now broke away, and brushing aside all opposition looked like scoring, and had it not been for Ramsay's splendid saving, would have notched a point; a hard shot by Henderson being well saved by him. Shortly afterwards a misunderstanding between the Whites' backs let the visitors have a chance which they were not slow to improve upon. Pennycook getting the ball at his toe sent it past Ramsay, thus scoring the first point for his side amid cheers. Play then was of an even nature. Aberdeen being encouraged by the crowd to "play up," gamely responded, and after severe pressure, were rewarded with a fifth goal. After a period of open play, the game ended: Aberdeen 5, Fair City 1.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 6th March 1898

The Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Ramsay; Ketchen, Singleton; Ross, Cobban, Ewen; Murray, Whyte, Toman, Brown, Whitehead


Fair City Athletic Teamsheet:  Arnot; Duff, McKeown; Bisset, Petrie, Miller; Pennycook, Moir, Henderson, Gardiner, Doig



Related Links: