Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1915-16 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Dundee 1 - 1 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Brown 20       Cumming 43.  
Attendance: 7,000
Venue: Dens Park, Dundee
There were nearly 10,000 spectators at Dundee, where the home team and Aberdeen played a hard and interesting game in favourable weather. Dundee, who, on the whole run of the game, were the better side, opened the scoring. Brown sent in a long shot, which Anderson saved, but the referee awarded a point on the ground that the ball had gone into the goal before the goalkeeper cleared. Aberdeen shortly afterwards equalised through Cumming. Brisk but scrappy play was seen in the second half. Dundee's forwards were weak at close quarters, but Anderson had a number of fine shots to clear. W. Wylie got a great opening for Aberdeen in the closing minutes, but failed to finish satisfactorily.

Source: The Scotsman, 3rd January 1916

The Aberdeen secured quite a satisfactory result in drawing with Dundee at Dens Park. About 7000 spectators were present.

Aberdeen won the toss. Dundee were the first to progress, the forwards making the peso with a swinging movement. The Aberdeen defence proved firm, however, and soon the front line got their chance. Cumming got possession and crossed, but Ferguson kicked clear. Accepting a pass from Main, Cumming was again prominent, and he and Archibald kept their opponents on the move for a short time. At the other end Brown had a try for goal, but Anderson saved. Dundee kept up the pressure, and scored after 20 minutes' play. Brown shot, and Anderson got the ball away, but the referee held that it had crossed the line, and awarded a goal, although the Aberdeen men disputed the point. From the kick-off Aberdeen raided, and forced a corner. Near the interval Cumming equalised, the Dundee custodian having no chance to save.

On the resumption, Aberdeen advanced into Dundee territory, and Wylie sent behind. Cumming and Archibald, who had all along been prominent in the Aberdeen front line, got into range, but Fraser saved from Archibald. Dundee's turn came and McIntosh tried a long shot, which was not sufficient to beat Anderson. The Aberdeen goalkeeper was again called upon shortly afterwards, but safely disposed of the ball which was sent in from 30 yards' range by Macdonald. Just before the finish, Ferguson missed in an attack by Aberdeen, and Wylie got through, but did not succeed in scoring.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 3rd January 1916

Dundee Teamsheet:  Fraser; Ferguson, Burns; McIntosh, McDonald, Duffus; Fisher, McCulloch, Brown, Steven, Lamb


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Anderson, Colman, Hume, Brewster, Wyllie, MacLachlan, Cumming, Archibald, Main, Cail, Wylie.

Unused Subs:


Referee: Mr. J. H. McKenzie, Glasgow

Related Links: