Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1915-16 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Queens Park 0 - 1 Aberdeen
Kick Off:          Brewster 7.  
Attendance: 5,000
Venue: Hampden Park, Glasgow
All the scoring at Hampden Park, Glasgow, consisted of a solitary goal, secured early in the game by Aberdeen. In came from a corner, Brewster heading high out of Bell's reach. Throughout the first half, though playing against a strong wind, the Queen's Park held their own, but Colman and Hume proved a strong pair, and the amateurs were unable to break through. In the second half the situation was reversed, Aberdeen pressing hard for a considerable time. Latterly the Queen's were more in evidence, but several chances at close quarters were lost. The Aberdeen backs, Colman and Hume, got plenty to do, and if the Queen's Park had drawn the game they would not on play hae been flattered. The attendance was about 6000.

Source: The Scotsman, 17th January 1916

About 5000 spectators witnessed a game between Aberdeen and Queen's Park at Hampden Park.

Queen's Park kicked off against a strong wind. Morton and Cresswell got away, but Colman cleared. Aberdeen forwards got into range. Cumming had a fast shot, which resulted in a fruitless corner. Aberdeen kept up the attack, and Brewster headed past Bell from a corner, after 7 minutes play. Queen's visited Aberdeen territory and forced a corner, which they failed to improve upon. At the other end Cumming had a find try, which gave Bell much difficulty. A few minutes later the queen's goalkeeper saved and easy ball from Main. Aberdeen forwards were eager for another tussle, and Cumming had a great drive, but the elevation was about a foot too high. R. M. Morton was provided with a likely chance to equalise, but he failed to grasp the opportunity. In a raid by Queen's, Colman cleared from a scrimmage. Aberdeen continued to have the best of play against the wind, and for the first half-hour Anderson had practically nothing to do. Towards the interval Queen's improved, but could not score.

Aberdeen resumed strongly, and Main had an excellent shot. Queen's made progress, and Sibbald had one of the best shots of the afternoon, but Anderson saved. Marshall made a brave attempt to get the goal for Queen's. Anderson partially cleared, and R. M. Morton attempted to breast the ball into the net, but it struck the upright. There was a good deal of exciting play, and till the finish the game was keenly contested, the Queen's being very anxious to get on level terms. No scoring took place, however, in the second half.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 17th January 1916

Queens Park Teamsheet:  J. Bell; P. Thorpe, J. Neilson, jun.; J. Marshall, J. G. Barry, A. Allan; R. Sibbald, C. H. Boyce, R. M. Morton, E. J. Cresswell, A. L. Morton


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Anderson, Colman, Hume, Chatwin, Brewster, MacLachlan, Cumming, Archibald, Main, Cail, Wylie.

Unused Subs:


Referee: Mr. J. M. Dickson, Glasgow

Related Links: