Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1915-16 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Third Lanark 6 - 2 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    McLean, McLean, Weir, Weir, Weir, McLean (pen)       Cumming, Brewster.  
Attendance: 5,000
Venue: Cathkin Park, Glasgow
Aberdeen's recent spell of success was reflected in the attendance at Cathkin, Glasgow. Third Lanark introduced a new forward in Weir (Renfrew Juniors), and he made a remarkable debut, scoring three times in succession. McLean likewise scored thrice, and Cumming and Brewster got the goals for Aberdeen. Aberdeen were handicapped by an injury to McLachlan, who was out of the game all the second half. Apart from that, however, the Northern team were well beaten. Third Lanark's attack was conspicuously effective. The attendance was about 8000.

Source: The Scotsman, 31st January 1916

About 5000 witnessed a game at Glasgow between Aberdeen and third lanark. Main was absent from Aberdeen on account of the injury he sustained the previous week, and Cail took his place. Third lanark introduced Weir, of Renfrew Juniors, at inside right, and he was a success, scoring three of the goals.

Aberdeen opened with the wind, and made progress, but Hannah cleared. Wyllie afterwards tested Brownlie, but the custodian was on the spot. The Third forwards began to make the pace, and McLean scored from a free kick outside the penalty area. The same player obtained a second point after a pass from Weir. Third Lanark continued to press, and Weir gave them their third goal. Matters did not look rosy for Aberdeen, and the outlook was black are still were McLauchlan retired with an injured the knee. Before half-time, however, Cumming and Cail got through, and the former scored.

Throughout the second half Aberdeen played with only 10 men. They opened strongly after the interval, however, and Brownlie was called upon several times, a shot from Cail, in particular, giving him some difficulty. At length the Thirds got a corner, and Weir headed their fourth goal. Although they had a big leeway, Aberdeen did not lie down, but they did not make the most of their chances at close quarters. Still another point was obtained for Third Lanark by Weir. Close on time Brewster gave Aberdeen a second goal by a fine header. Just before the finish Third Lanark were awarded a penalty for handling by Brewster, and McLean scored. Third had a good deal of luck in some of their goals. It was Aberdeen's first defeat since Celtic beat them on November 6.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 31st January 1916

Third Lanark Teamsheet:  Brownlie; Private Gibb, Orr; R Brown, Hannah, Anderson; Goldie, Weir, Mclean, King, Crichton


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Anderson, Colman, Hume, Chatwin, Brewster, MacLachlan, Cumming, Archibald, Cail, Walker, Wylie.

Unused Subs:


Referee: Mr. A. A. Jackson, Glasgow

Related Links: