Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1916-17 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 2 - 4 Queens Park
Kick Off:    Ambler, Colman.       McMillan, R.M. Morton, Ford, McMillan  
Attendance: 5,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee Stops Game and Calls a Policeman
The Queen's Park win at Aberdeen was the first they ever obtained there in the League and was well deserved. McMillan opened the scoring some fifteen minutes from the kick-off, and their second goal came shortly afterwards, R. M. Morton being the scorer. The Ambler, the Aberdeen centre, gave his side some encouragement by smartly beating Richardson. The Queen's, however, responded with a third goal obtained by Ford from a free kick. In the second half Aberdeen did a lot of attacking. McMillan added a fourth goal for the Queen's Park. Colman afterwards scored for Aberdeen from near midfield through a misunderstanding among the Queen's defenders. About 5000 spectators saw a game which was interesting all through.

Source: The Scotsman, 18th September 1916

N.B. This was the only goal that Donald Colman scored during his long Aberdeen career.

Queen's Park, in defeating Aberdeen by 4 goals to 2, obtained their first win in the League at Pittodrie. Over 5000 people witnessed a game which was exciting throughout.
Aberdeen attacked in the first minute, and Richardson threw out. Queen's transferred play, but were repulsed. Colman relived with a strong punt, and midfield play followed. Aberdeen forced a corner, but reaped no advantage. Once more Queen's got on the offensive. About twelve minutes from the start Crosswell got posession and crossed in beautiful style. The home defence got mixed up, and McMillan dashed in and scored., after the ball had struck the upright. Play continued at the Aberdeen end for some time. Aberdeen raided without result. Another strong attack by Queen's gave them a second goal, R.M. Morton scoring after smart play by the right wing. Aberdeen put on a vigorous pressure to equalise matters. Walker had an excellent try, and Richardson gave away a corner. Aberdeen were not to be denied, and, following a dashing run, Ambler scored. Queen's again came into the limelight, and scored when least expected. A fee kick was given against Aberdeen near the penalty area, and Ford got the thirs goal for his side in apparently easy fashion. The direction of the ball seemed to completely deceive Anderson, or else his vision was impeded. Give and take play followed. Brewster had an excellent long shot, but Richardson was on the watch. Colman gave away a corner when hard pressed by A.L. Moron, but Queen's gained nothing.

On the resumption Aberdeen pressed, but Caldersent over the bar. Cumming raced along the wing and shot, but the ball went behind. A minute later Richardson was tested, and there were a few exciting moments as the goalkeeper lay on the ground with three of the Aberdeen forwards in close attendance upon him. He managed to get the ball away, however. Play continued mostly at the Queen's end, Aberdeen being eager for a goal. Anderson saved cleverly at a critical moment for Aberdeen. At the ther end, Richardson saved by a corner from Duff. At this stage the referee seemed to be displeased with the conduct of some of the spectators, and stopped the game and communicated with a policeman and the manager of the Aberdeen club. A quarter of an hour from the finish the Queen's front line got well away, and McMillan scored in fine style. Aberdeen dashed into Queen's Park's quarters from the kick-off, and Colman scored almost from midfield. Thorpe and Barrie tried to head clear, but the goalkeeper ran out, and in the mix-up the ball found its way into the net. Richardson and Barrie sustained injury, but were able to resume in a minute or two.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 18th September 1916

Queen's Park's first victory at Pittodrie was creditable to the amateurs. They won by sheer merit, being superior to the Aberdeen team at almost every point. The game was reminiscent of Cup-tie days so hotly was it contested. The Queen's fast and clever forwards were a sore trial for Aberdeen's rather ponderous half-backs, and seldom have the backs and goalkeeper of the Pittodrie team made so many fatal mistakes.
McMillan's opening goal was due to a misunderstanding between Colman and Anderson. R. M. Morton got the second off a pass from Crosswell. Ambler smartly reduced the Queen's Park lead. In less than a minute from a simple-looking free kick, Ford put the Queen's again two up. Anderson made no attempt to save, probably owing to the line of his vision being obscured. At half-time the amateurs had the comfortable lead of 3 to 1. Aberdeen had an apparently perfectly legitimate goal by Ambler disallowed for a supposed infringement.

Both sides scored in the second half, McMillan fifteen minutes from the finish and Donald Colman fro midfield. The last was a peculiar goal, Thorpe, Barrie and Richardson all made for the ball and collided. They fell in a heap, and the ball dropped into the net unhindered.
The referee, resenting the "barracking" of a section of the crowd, stopped the game, and first summoned a policeman and then the manager of the Aberdeen team.

Source: Dundee Courier, 18th September 1916

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Anderson, Colman, Moir, Brewster, Wyllie, Calder, Cumming, Paton, Ambler, Walker, Duff.

Unused Subs:


Queens Park Teamsheet:  J. Richardson; P. Thorpe, J. Mair; A. Cowan, J. G. Barrie, A. Ford; F. Crosswell, A. McMillan, R.M. Morton, A.D. McLaren


Referee: Mr. J. B. Stvenson, Glasgow

Related Links: