Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 0 - 0 Morton

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Morton

Div 1 (Old)

27/09/1919 | KO:

Fine goalkeeping by Anderson of Aberdeen was largely responsible for Morton having to be content with a draw at Aberdeen. There was no scoring. The official referee was unable to travel and a local man was called in to officiate. A difference of opinion arose over a certain incident in the game. Aberdeen claimed that the ball was over the goal line, and the referee gave a goal, but the Morton players protested, and after consultation with the linesman the decision was altered and a throw-up given. Morton were the better side, and were handicapped by an injury to their centre-forward French. There was an attendance of about 12,000.

Source: The Scotsman, 29th September 1919

Aberdeen gave a forest display at home this season when the divided the points in a goalless draw with Greenock Morton at Pittodrie. There were 12,000 spectators, and these so a game in which Aberdeen were just a shade fortunate to finish on equal terms. Owing to the railway strike, the official referees and linesmen were unable to travel, and places were filled locally, Mr. Peter Craigmyle taking charge of the game.
There was an unusual incident in the first half. After 35 minutes, Connon drove hard at Edwards who saved on the ground. The Aberdeen players appealed for a goal on the grounds that the ball had been over the line, and with the referee's signalling a goal, the ball was centered. This drew a strong protest from the Morton players, and after he had consulted the linesman, Mr. Craigmyle revised his decision, and gave a throw-up in the Morton goalmouth. The changed decision did not give satisfaction to a section of the spectators, and the official came in for a good deal of adverse criticism later, but everything considered, it was in the order of things that the visitors should have got the benefit of the doubt. The incident occurred on one of the very few occasions that Aberdeen came near scoring, but nearer the end the visitors' goal had a narrow escape, when Wilson sent narrowly past from a good position. Although they played against the sun in the opening half, Morton had by far the better of the exchanges, but on their part there was some feckless finishing, and the home defence muddled through.

Aberdeen had more to say in the second period, but they were never a successful working organisation, and if Morton had deserved, but failed to get, the lead in the first half, it would have been an injustice to the other if either side had found the net in the closing period. Morton were handicapped shortly after the start through French, their centre forward, breaking a finger. He retired and had it splinted, and after appearing on the right wing for a time, resumed in his own position. What time he was absent Morton were the better side, but their finishing was weak, and later, when the original formation was reverted to, they showed no improvement at close quarters. The home attack never got properly going, and with half-backs unable to cope with the opposition, there was a heavy strain on the backs and goalkeeper. Hume developed a knee injury, but pluckily continued until the end.

As a defensive combination Aberdeen's rear division came out of the game with credit, but they were never able to give their forwards much assistance, and this largely accounted for the disjointed and badly executed moves of the home attack.
Next to the Ayr attack the Morton forwards were the best working combination seen at Pittodrie this season, and that despite several changes in the formation during the game. They looked more dangerous than they proved, and had their finishing been up to the standard of their midfield work Aberdeen's home record would have gone overboard. On the Aberdeen side Anderson alone played up to form, and it was largely due to his good work in goal that the visitors only got one point instead of two from the game. He had many difficult situations to deal with. The best forward play in the game was shown by the Morton left wing, where Seymour excelled, and was never mastered by the home defence. His delightful trickery drew out the admiration of the crowd, and he usually parted to advantage. French, despite his handicap, was a perpetual danger to the defence, and he was a trifle unfortunate not to have found the net. While he did not neglect his wings, he was inclined to be over-individual, but he was always nippy and quick, and gave the defence no end of trouble.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 29th September 1919

Morton Teamsheet
Attendance: 12,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. Peter Craigmyle, Aberdeen
Next Match
03 Dec 2023 / 15:00 / Easter Road, Edinburgh