Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Third Lanark 2 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Third Lanark 0 - 2 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Third Lanark scorers: Walker, Flannigan
Aberdeen scorers: Hutton, Connon.

13/12/1919 | KO:

Aberdeen Draw in Glasgow

In the first half of the game at Cathkin Park Aberdeen seemed certain of an easy victory. Third Lanark were the aggressors at the start, but after fifteen minutes' futile play they were forced to defend, and for the remainder of the period Aberdeen dominated the game. Hutton secured their first goal, and a few minutes later Connon gave his side a second point, while the home side were unable to break down the sound defence of the Northerners. The Third were again prominent after the change of ends, but for a long time Anderson's polished goalkeeping kept them from securing the advantages they were due. Eventually Walker beat Anderson with a drive that gave the custodian no chance, and the score was brought level by Flannigan. Play was fast and exciting to the close, but there was no change in the scoring. Attendance, 6000.

Source: The Scotsman, 15th December 1919

Aberdeen's Two Goals

Had they not concentrated on defence in the second half after crossing over with and interval lead of 2-0, Aberdeen might have taken more than a point from Third Lanark at Cathkin Park, Glasgow. Aberdeen had the assistance of a moderate breeze in the first half, when they were much in the nippier side, and with the defence playing soundly, the forwards grabbed two of the few chances that came their way, and two finely-taken goals represented the advantage at the interval. Both the Aberdeen goals were the outcome of neat movements, and in as much as they were lacking in the individual element, they boded well for the future success of the forwards, suggesting that recent failures have not been without their lessons to the attacking division of the team. The first goal came after half an hour's strenuous play. From a clearance by Anderson, Wright got possession, he slipped nicely to Connon, who, in turn, punted to Wilson for the right winger to cross finely. Brownlie punched the ball away, but Archibald, lying in wait, got possession, and slipped nicely to Hutton, who gave the internationalist no chance from close range.
The second goal was the outcome of an equally clever piece of collective play. Wright slipped the ball nicely along the turf to Macdonald, who gathered quickly, and swung the ball out to Archibald. The left winger cleverly beat McCormack, and lobbed the ball nicely across the goalmouth for Connon to head neatly passed Brownlie.
Two goals in arrears, Third Lanark played desperately, but there finishing was weak although the Aberdeen goal had one or two narrow escapes. Hume and Hannah played very soundly at back, and Anderson in goal effected some brilliant saves. Several corners fell to the lot of the home team, but these were easily cleared. Aberdeen forwards never lost an opportunity to make ground, but many fine movements were nullified by one or other of the players getting into offside positions. Archibald, who was very clever and tricky on the left, had one bewildering run, only to send behind when well placed.

A Disputed Goal

Some sensational goal-keeping by Anderson, and an unusual award which enabled Third Lanark to equalise, were the features of a very fast and exciting second half, when the wind had increased in velocity, and greatly favoured the Cathkin side. From the outset the home attack set up a terrific pressure on the Aberdeen defence, which put up of a stone-wall resistance. Anderson on the ground, had a wonderful save from F. Walker. From about 15 yards the home centre-forward let fly a terrific shot, which appeared to be finding the net, when the Aberdeen goalkeeper made a cat-like spring and fisted clear for a corner. He was injured in making the effort, but was able to continue, and in quick succession he had other two sensational saves - one at full length and another from an express drive by Walker from point blank range, which he dealt with in masterly style.
For half an hour the Aberdeen defence successfully withstood a terrific gruelling, and during the period the forwards got little chance. They had one or two good runs, but generally they were unable to get near Brownlie, who, however, was kept busy with passes back by his colleagues. It appeared as if the Aberdeen defence was likely to hold out until quarter of an hour from the finish, when Hume hesitated to clear, and F. Walker, while lying on the ground, hooked the ball into the net.
The game was but minutes older when the Third Lanark got on equal terms. A ball was lobbed over by Flannaghan from the left and appeared to be going through when human intercepted it with his arm before it had appeared to cross the line. The referee immediately awarded a goal, and his decision was stoutly protested against by the whole of the Aberdeen team. The official, however, was firm on the point, and did not even consult his linesmen. From that period until the finish there was a terrific struggle for the leading goal. Third Lanark came nearer to scoring, but Anderson saved the situation when he held a hard drive from F. Walker, the final whistle sounding with the scores level. The attendance was between 5000 and 6000.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 15th December 1919

Third Lanark Teamsheet
Brownlie; McCormack, Orr; McGowan, Walker (L), Walker (J); Allan, Bennie, Walker (F), Anderson, Flannaghan
Attendance: 6,000
Venue: Cathkin Park, Glasgow
Referee: Mr. J. S, Sinclair, Thornliebank
Next Match
27 Apr 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen