Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Dundee 1 - 3 Aberdeen

HT Score: Dundee 0 - 2 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Dundee scorers: Troup 65
Aberdeen scorers: Connon 30, Wright 32, Connon 55.

01/01/1920 | KO:

Fine Win at Dundee

Dundee and Aberdeen met at Dens Park before 18,000 spectators. The pitch was icebound and treacherous, and although liberally coated with sand it gave the players no foothold, and to a large extent the football was of the farcical order. Aberdeen, however, adapted themselves to the conditions much better than Dundee, and Watson was frequently tested. Near the interval Connon opened the scoring for Aberdeen, and Wright headed a second goal immediately afterwards. Shortly after the resumption Connon put Aberdeen further ahead. Dundee had the bulk of the play for some time, and Troup scored. Several times before the close Dundee were unlucky, but the points went to the better side.

Source: The Scotsman, 2nd January 1920

The Aberdeen League team opened the New Year in auspicious fashion at Dundee, where in the return League game with their noted Tayside rivals they triumphed by 3 goals to 1. There were 16,000 spectators, and while the atmospheric conditions were ideal, the ice-bound pitch which had to be liberally strewn with sand to assist the footing left much to be desired. Until the players got more accustomed to the conditions, play showed a tendency to be erratic, and in the earlier stages the spectators derived considerable amusement from the efforts of the players to keep their footing.
On the day's play Aberdeen were much the superior side, and this was the specially so in the first half when their style of play and method, were much better adapted to the peculiar conditions. Finely supplied by their inside man, and well supported by the half-backs, the Aberdeen wingers dominated the game for the greater portion of the period, and the Dundee goal had many hair-breadth escapes before the scoring opened. All the Aberdeen forwards had tries for goal, but Watson the fight them for nearly half an hour. At the end of that period, Archibald, who scintillated on the Aberdeen left, beat the opposition and centred, and Connon following up crashed and the ball into the net. The success was well deserved, as, with the exception of two saves by Anderson from Bell and McLaughlin, Dundee had seldom been dangerous. Only other 2 minutes had elapsed when Archibald again got off, but was fouled. MacLachlan took the kick, and sending the ball nicely across the Dundee goal allowed Wright to head through a second goal for Aberdeen. With their lead Aberdeen played confidently, and the Dundee goal was repeatedly in danger, Wylie, Grant, Connon, Hutton, and Wright all having good tries. The Aberdeen goal was occasionally in the danger zone, but generally the Pittodrie defenders held the upper hand, and it would have been no more than their desserts had Aberdeen held more than their 2-0 lead at the interval.

Keen Second Half

There were many exciting incidents in the second half, when against a much improved Dundee attack the Aberdeen defence excelled. After 10 minutes, from a fine ground pass by Wright, Connon received the ball just inside his own half of the field, and racing on he cleverly beat Rait and gave Watson no chance. After this found a verse Dundee played a desperately, but their finishing was weak. Nevertheless the Aberdeen goal had several nunnery skates, but the defence played more soundly and did Dundee under the same conditions in the first half. After 20 minutes Troup, from close range, reduced the leeway with an unsaveable shot. After that, until the closing stages, except for occasional bursts by the Aberdeen forwards, the game developed into a duel between the Dundee attack and the Aberdeen defence, with a defenders gaining the Dee. Aberdeen came near to increasing their lead on several occasions, notably when Watson just managed to knock down a shot by Connon after a run similar to that which brought Aberdeen's third goal, and it was with difficulty that the Dundee keeper saved a grand touch line effort by Grant. The closing stages so Aberdeen pressing home the attack with vigour, and the heat island winners of a game in which their superiority was never in doubt. Aberdeen were strong in all departments, the half-backs and extreme wing forwards taking a great share in the victory. The Dundee defence was weak in comparison, the specially in the half-back division, where only McIntosh in the second half was seen to advantage.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 2nd January 1920

Dundee Teamsheet
Watson; Rait, Thomson; McIntosh, Hutchison, Jackson; Rawlings, McLaughlin, Bell, Slade, Troup
Attendance: 16,000
Venue: Dens Park, Dundee
Referee: T. Dougary, Nitshill
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead