Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Clyde 2 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Clyde 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Clyde scorers: Fleming, Thompson

31/01/1920 | KO:


A good game, considering the conditions, was seen at Glasgow, where Clyde beat Aberdeen by two goals. The first half was slightly in favour of Clyde, and they deservedly led at the interval by a goal scored by Fleming. After the interval Aberdeen, although playing against the wind, gave an improved display, and did most of the attacking, but their inside forwards failed to snap up the many chances given them by W. Wylie and Archibald. Near the finish, Thompson headed through a second goal for Clyde. The attendance would be about 6000.

Source: The Scotsman, 2nd February 1920

Aberdeen sustained their tenth League defeat of the season at Shawfield, Glasgow, where Clyde beat them by 2 goals to 0. Generally the winners were superior, and if a goal was due the Pittodrie team, the Shawfioid players were worthy their win. Aberdeen had the wind in their favour in the first half, but they failed to utilise it to advantage. In the second period, when they had to face the elements, they showed some improvement but there was a lack of cohesion and penetrative ability amongst the forwards. Both Clyde goals, if deserved, were due to lapses on the part of the defence, but on the other hand, from their numerous raids the Aberdeen forwards should have got through at least once. Clyde opened strongly, and Hume was in evidence by his fine clearances of a couple of crosses by Thomson. W. Wylie sent dangerously over from the Aberdeen right but the inside men failed to improve upon opportunities. Connon dribbled through, only to pass too far ahead, and then Archibald got a corner, which McAndrew cleared. From a superb cross by Thomson, Fleming missed a glorious opportunity with a first-time, effort when had only to tip the ball through. After 14 minutes Clyde scored. Boyton gave the ball through to Quinn, who dribbled nicely forward, and from ciose range, Anderson just failing to reach the ball with his foot. Aberdeen missed chance of equalising from the kick-off. Archibald worked up the field to cross accurately but Wright sent high and wide. After this there was some good footwork by Connon and Wylie. The latter sent over to the left tor Archibald to return, and Wylie just failed from good position, but forced a corner, which was saved. For a time Aberdeen looked like equalising, but McAndrew repeatedly saved his side by the way in which he intercepted passes and broke un the efforts at combination. Hume hurt, his wrist and retired for a short time, and while he was away the Aberdeen defence had a trying time against the Clyde's speedy forwards. Most danger came from Morris and Fleming on the right, and Anderson on several occasions had to leave his goal to clear. For Aberdeen MacLachlan hit the top of the crossbar with a long-range effort.

A Fatal Miskick.

On the resumption Connon was hurt, and after he had been attended on the touch line, he and Wylie changed places. The change was immediately effective, and for a period Aberdeen promised to reduce the leewav, Connon had one fine try, which just missed the mark, and later accepting a pass from Wylie, he again had the Clyde goal in danger.
Aberdeen resorted to tactics, and, as the result, the game lost much of its spectacular interest. Archibald on the left nicely led away by MacLachlan had some clever runs, but be was badly supported. At the end of twenty minutes, Hume, when harassed by the Clyde right, missed his kick, and Morris sent a lovely centre across the Aberdeen goal. The ball was missed both by Anderson and Wright, and Thomson, lying in wait, headed into the net. For a time Clyde looked as if they might even increase their lead, but the Aberdeen defence put in some good work. A free kick taken McAndrew was saved full length by Anderson, in succession Quinn and Fleming lost golden opportunities. In the closing stages Aberdeen attacked desperately, and following a long kick by J. Wyllie, Shingleton was fortunate to get a hand on a fine head effort by Macdonald. The Pittodrie half-back dominated the game in the closing stages, but the forwards were weak and the Clyde backs were equal to all the calls made upon them. Aberdeen were best served Hume. J. Wyllie, MacLachlan, Connon, W. Wylie, and Archibald; and Clyde by Frame, MacAndrew, Morris, Fleming and Thompson.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 2nd February 1920

Clyde Teamsheet
Shingleton; Cowan, Frame; Marshall, MAcAndrew, Boyton; Morris, Fleming, Quuinn, Duncan, Thompson
Attendance: 6,500
Venue: Shawfield Stadium, Glasgow
Referee: R. J. Kelso, Glasgow