Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 1 Raith Rovers

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Connon 20, Connon, Connon.
Raith Rovers scorers: Anderson

13/03/1920 | KO:

Aberdeen defeated Raith Rovers at Pittodrie. Connon was responsible for the whole of the winning team's goals, and is the only Aberdeen player who has performed the "hat-trick" this season. A minute after he had done so the Raith Rovers obtained their only goal, when Anderson headed the ball into the net. Both in the opening stages of the game and for more than ten minutes towards the close of the first period the Raith Rovers had the better of the play, and it was only because Anderson, the Aberdeen goalkeeper, saved numerous shots, and because he was well supported by a strong back division, that the Rovers were in arrears at the interval. Inglis and Muir, the Rovers' backs, played strongly, as did also their centre-half, Porter, while Anderson was the leader among the forwards. The old Aberdeen internationalist, Donald Colman, proved he was still worthy of his place in the team. Hannah, Connon, and Wilson, also showed to advantage, and the Aberdeen University player, Victor E. Milne, a son of ex-Bailie Milne, the first chairman of the Aberdeen Football Club, who has been incorporated as an amateur at centre half-back, gave some indication of his worth.

Source: The Scotsman, 15th March 1920

Aberdeen registered their first League victory since January 3 at Pittodrie on Saturday, when they defeated Raith Rovers by 3 goals to 1. Ten thousand people saw a match which was fairly well contested, the margin in the home team's favour scarcely doing justice to the losers. A boisterous cross wind rather interfered with play, and as the result there were numerous inaccuracies. So far as pressure went, Raith Rovers ought not to have been in arrears at the interval, but they were palpably inept in front of goal, and their defeat was the price paid for weak finishing. After a spirited opening, Hutton had the ball in the Rovers' net from a high centre by Connon, but a previous infringement nullified the point. Subsequently, the play ruled much in favour of the visitors, and but for find goalkeeping by Anderson and resourceful play by Coleman and Hannah, the home team must have been first in arrears. Shots were rained in on Anderson from all directions, and for nearly quarter of an hour at the really critical period of the game he defied all efforts to beat him. The visitors' forwards, too, lost several excellent chances. Millar, their centre-forward from a superb centre by Birrell, headed wide, and on another occasion the same player completely missed a ball that the rebounded off the Aberdeen goalkeeper, who later, when out of his goal, cleverly jumped to catch a ball from Dunn that appeared bound for the net. After 20 minutes play, and following on a free kick, Connon gained possession on the right and cleverly eluding Muir, drove hard past the Rovers' goalkeeper, who made a vain attempt to intercept him. Subsequently, there was much midfield play, in which the Kirkcaldy forwards were seen to the better advantage, but they could make no impression on the solid defence afforded by the Aberdeen backs. A brilliant piece of forward play lead to Aberdeen increasing their lead. Wilson gained possession, and, passing cleverly to Archibald, the left winger sent over an ideal cross, and Connon running in gave Brown no chance with a second goal. Aberdeen's 2-0 lead at the interval was rather against the balance of play, but they played confidently later.

Connon's Scoring Feat

An injury to Hutton necessitated his going outside right, with Yule in the inside position and Connon at centre-forward. Good scoring chances had been lost by both sets of forwards' before Archibald hooked a cross past Inglis, and Yule gaining possession tipped the ball nicely into goal, for Connon to touch it through and register the first hat trick an Aberdeen first team player has secured the season. The player was accorded a great ovation on his performance, but the plaudits had not died down when, after the ball had crossed and recrossed the Aberdeen goal, Anderson scored for Raith Rovers from a judicious return by Birrell. Following up on this, both goals were frequently in danger, but an Irish peacekeeper that period befell the Rovers' goal in the closing stages, when Brown saved at point-blank range from Connon.

The defences on both sides were sound. Anderson's saving in the first half, before Aberdeen settled down, went a long way to pave the way for victory. Both back divisions were sound, the Home Care, Coleman and Hannah, compensating for an obvious lack of speed bike good judgement. Aberdeen were none too well served at half-back, but V. E. Milne, the University player, who made his debut as an amateur in the pivotal position, showed promise. Connon was the best forward, as, apart from his well-taken goals, he opened out the play well. Wilson shone in some bright passages of combination, and made an effective appearance. The Rovers' goalkeeper was blameless for the points registered against him, and Inglis and Muir were seldom at fault at back. Porter was outstanding in the half-back line that was the head of the home trio, Andover forward line that was clever in midfield of lost their effectiveness near goal, Anderson, Birrell, and Dunn were best.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 15th March 1920

Raith Rovers Teamsheet
Brown; Inglis, Muir; Rattray, Porter, Duncan; Birrell, McLean, Millar, Anderson, Dunn
Attendance: 10,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: W. G. Johnstone, Edinburgh
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead