Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Albion Rovers 1 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Albion Rovers 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Albion Rovers scorers: Hart
Aberdeen scorers: Archibald.

05/04/1920 | KO:

Anderson Saves Aberdeen.

Albion Rovers and Aberdeen played their return League fixture at Coatbridge last night. The Rovers rested a majority of their regular players, but were quite good enough for Aberdeen. There were no goals at half time. Archibald scored off a free kick, and, later Hart equalised, the game finishing at one each. The Rovers had much the better of a hard game.

Source: The Scotsman, 6th April 1920

There were 7000 spectators at Cliftonhill, Coatbridge, last night when Aberdeen opposed Albion Rovers in their return Scottish League fixture. The result was a draw of one goal each. Compared with the team that drew at Ayr, Aberdeen showed one change, Wilson being included in the left wing vice Yule, who took Grant's place at outside right. In view of the replay of their Scottish Cup semi-final tie with Rangers tomorrow evening the Rovers rested no fewer than eight of what is known as the cup-tie team. It did not flatter the visitors that a team largely composed of reserve players had outplayed them. No weaker attack has been seen at the Rovers' ground this season. It was a repetition of the recent cup-tie, save that Anderson was superb and saved his side again and again. In comparison, Shortt had a holiday. The northern attack was very ragged, and their combination poor. Best for Aberdeen were the three halves, with Milne the finest of the six. Colman and Hannah were too slow for the young Rovers, with the result that excessive work fell on the broad shoulders of Anderson, whose anticipation and fielding were without blemish. He had no chance to save the shot that found his net. The Rovers naturally did not reach the high standard of their recent games, but the club is rich in young, clever, and eager players.

Goalless First Half.

At the start Hart headed close past Anderson's goal. The goal-kick did not help matters much, for Wilson was dragged down when making way, and again Anderson was trouble through White, but saved with confidence. Settling down, Aberdeen changed the aspect, Connon driving a hard shot past the post. Yule was figuring smartly on the right wing, and a fine cross of his gave Wilson a chance, but he failed to get the head on the ball. Colman was not happy before Young, and jeopardised his side by twice spooning the ball That terror past, the Dons made amends, and Wright puzzled Shortt with a long dropping shot which was landed over the bar. The same player cutely let Yule away, and the lad dropped over a fine centre, only to find Hutton pulled up for off-side when well placed. The game was now going merrily from end to end, but out of many tries the Rovers' wingers did not launch anything likely to trouble Anderson. So far Archibald and Wilson were not pairing well, and this was due to the selfishness of the former, who wanted to beat too many opponents to the detriment his side. Latterly he did lay the leather for Wilson, but the latter was wild in his final delivery and the ball sped away to the opposite corner. Anderson was stall getting most to do, and was extremely smart in picking up a close in shot by White and bobbing the ball till he could effectually clear. The Rovers were playing surprisingly well, and twice in close succession the Dons' goal had the narrowest of escapes ? when Hannah risked a knock-out to clear a shot by Wallace, and when a cross from Young passed within a yard of Anderson to be missed by both Hart and White. Aberdeen's visits were at long intervals, and then of little account, for Shortt is not the man to be beaten by shots off the wing such as Archibald kept trying. Half-time arrived without a score, a fact largely due to the untiring efforts of the Aberdeen halves, but neither back division was convincing, and the forwards were slow.

Archibald Scores.

The second half began by Blue twice shooting over Anderson's charge, and then the keeper being mystified with a shot from Hart that shook the timber and came back into play. That was the narrowest escape of the game so far. Wilson got away a corner, but it was only for a minute, and the next saw Anderson diving among a sea of players to punt out one of Young's many crosses after beating Colman on the run. Wright, Milne, and McLaughlin spent themselves in endeavouring to ginger their pals forward, but nothing name kindly to the quintette, and there was not a star in the lot. Yule looked fit, but did not get so much the ball might have done. Latterly Connon paved the way for an opening, but Wilson failed to clinch, and when the ball came out McLaughlin shot high over the bar. Aberdeen had steam now, and when McLaughlin took a free kick, Archibald toed it and Shortt was beaten. The equaliser might have come a minute later, but Anderson was primed and clutched like a vice at a deadly shot from Gray. With twenty minutes to go, it was now a rare fight, and the Hornets showing more sting, with Hutton leading to some purpose. Still the Rovers pegged away, and Hannah almost made a muddle of it when he spooned the ball past Anderson's charge. Another escape followed when Melville shot hard and true, compelling Anderson to tip over the bar. But for the goalkeeper, Aberdeen might have been goals down. As it was, Hart eventually picked up the ball on the left, and Anderson had no chance to finger the flying ball as it took the off corner of the goal in the closing stages of the game.
The gate, exclusive of tax, amounted to £270.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 6th April 1920

Albion Rovers Teamsheet
Shortt; Kiernan, Ford; Black, Melville, Wallace; Blue, White, Hart, Gray, Young
Attendance: 7,000
Venue: Cliftonhill, Coatbridge
Referee: Alec Edwards, Glasgow
Next Match
06 Dec 2023 / 19:45 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen