Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Falkirk 2 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Falkirk 1 - 1 Aberdeen

SPFL Development League
Falkirk scorers: Smith 38, 0'Hara 91
Aberdeen scorers: Rose 23.

02/02/2016 | KO: 14:00

For the second game in a row Aberdeen U20s had to endure the heartache of losing a goal in injury time. Again it was a game they should have taken a point from, it not all three after a first 45 minutes which was arguably their best of the season.

With one eye on the Celtic game tomorrow, Frank Ross and Scott Wright only played a half each. New keeper Arron Lennox started in goal for the first time. The back four in front of him was Henry, MacPherson, Rose and Harvie. Thomas and Norris were in central midfield with Robertson and Anderson in the wide areas and Ross played in a more advanced positioned in behind Kalvin Orsi who was starting his first game for a long time. Striker Joe Nuttall is still out with a knee injury. The game had been in doubt due to storm Henry. There had been some very strong winds in central Scotland but by kick off the conditions had improved but there was still a strong wind sweeping across the stadium.
In the opening minute Aberdeen won a corner as they started on the front foot. In the third minute a shot saved from Norris led to another corner but the young Dons could not force an opening. Bruce Anderson then produced a stunning piece of skill which took him clear of the Falkirk defence. He hit an early shot across the keeper but diving low to his right McMinn made a good stop. It would have been some goal if the finish has matched the built up. Anderson had a very good first half and caused Falkirk a lot of problems. On 12 minutes a burst forward from 0'Hara who managed to get to the by-line before winning his side a free kick in a very dangerous area but Aberdeen defended the set piece well. On 15 minutes Finlyason broke forward from the right back area and hit a powerful shot which went well over the bar. After 21 minutes Finlayson teed up O'Hara whose run had found him some space inside the area. His shot though from the angle was straight at Lennox who was well positioned to make the save. The keeper's positioning all afternoon was very sound.
Then Aberdeen took the lead on 23 minutes. From a corner the ball was flicked on towards goal by Orsi. The ball then fell to Michael Rose who produced a really neat finish to squeeze it in past the keeper and the man on the back post. A very well worked corner. The young Dons then dominated the game and enjoyed a lot of good possession. Despite the conditions they put some great passing moves together in the middle of the park and moved the ball at speed but frustratingly could not add to their lead as on a number of occasions they failed to pick the right option inside the area.
Then on the stroke of half time former Hearts man David Smith was given a bit too much room and from 25 yards he hit a superb shot to beat Lennox. It was a goal very much against the run of play.

Former Don Alan Maybury, who coaches the Falkirk U20s, came on for the second half and played in central defence. Alan played for Aberdeen back in 2008, most of today's Aberdeen team were only 7 or 8 at the time! The former Republic of Ireland international showed all of his experience to help keep the Dons at bay. Scott Wright also came on at half time and he played very well.
On 49 minutes Kevin O'Hara got in behind the Aberdeen defence and fired in a low drive across the keeper but Lennox managed to get a hand on it to produce a very good save. After that there were very few chances at either end as both teams cancelled each other out. Scott Wright was looking the most likely player on the park to produce something but again Aberdeen could not turn any possession in the final third into chances. Aberdeen had defended very well but with 15 minutes to go a mistake gave the home side a great chance to take the lead. Winger Hippolyte had been extremely well marshalled by Jamie Henry but on this occasion he got to the by-line and cut the ball back to Smith who looked certain to score but his shot was blocked on the line brilliantly by Michael Rose and then the ball fell for McHugh who looked even more certain to score but again his shot was brilliantly blocked on the line, this time by Jamie Henry. The game looked to be petering out but in the final minute as Aberdeen searched for a winner then made a couple of mistakes which ultimately proved costly. First they gave the ball away in the middle of the park, this resulted in Smith having a half chance but he blasted over. But then again the Dons lost the ball as they piled forward and this time they were punished when Kevin O'Hara forced the ball in after a cross from the left. The final whistle went seconds later. The disappointment on the Aberdeen player's faces told the story.
Falkirk Teamsheet
Lewis McMinn, Mark Finlayson, Tony Gallacher, Cameron Blues (Peggie 67), Cameron Eadie (Maybury 45), Kyle Johnson, David Smith, Tom Taiwo, Bob McHugh, Kevin O'Hara, Michael Hypolite

Bookings:  Eadie 24,   O'Hara 84
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Lennox, Henry, Harvie, Thomas, MacPherson, Rose, Anderson, Robertson, Orsi (McLennan 67), Ross (Wright 45), Norris (Ross 81).

Unused Subs: Campbell, Dangana, Craddock.

Bookings:  Rose (9).
Venue: Falkirk Stadium, Falkirk
Next Match
Ross County
19 May 2024 / 15:00 / Victoria Park, Dingwall