Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 0 Hibernian

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Hibernian

SPFL Development League
Aberdeen scorers: Ross 72.

09/02/2016 | KO: 14:00

On an excellent playing surface in Peterhead, Aberdeen and Hibs took part in an entertaining and highly competitive game which the young Dons narrowly won 1-0. It was a deserved win but both teams had defended well throughout and also Dons keeper Aaron Lennox made two very good saves.
Aberdeen gave a trial today to Daniel Adejo. The experienced Nigerian played at right back although he can also operate at centre half. Daniel played at AEL Kalloni FC in Greece last season. Before that played for Reggina in Italy from 2008-2014.

The Dons lined up with Lennox in goal, a strong looking back four of Adejo, Michael Rose, Scott McKenna and Daniel Harvie. Barry Robson came into the midfield alongside Dylan Thomas with Scott Wright and Bruce Anderson on the wings. Frank Ross played in support of Kalvin Orsi who was up top.
After four minutes there was a half chance for Kalvin Orsi inside the area after fine wing play by Scott Wright but the striker failed to make decent contact. The Dons looked the better team in the opening stages and on 9 minutes a Robson corner had to be tipped away by Brennan. The keeper then makes a very good block to keep out Ross when Frank got through one on one. After a quarter of an hour good play by Harvie down the left. The full back got to the by-line and his cross went right across the six yard box but no one had made a run towards goal. On 25 minutes Orsi laid the ball off to Ross who fired in a good effort from the edge of the area but the keeper saved well.
Aberdeen had enjoyed more of the possession up until this point but Hibs were equal to the Dons, if not better for the rest of the half. On the half hour mark a great reserve ball by El Alagui released Dunsmore but the full back was kept out by a very good save from Lennox. Arron read the situation and got out quickly to make the block with his chest. Five minutes later Shaw stepped inside and fired a shot just wide. With four to go before half time Sinclair plays a neat one two with El Alagui and fired a shot just wide. Before that Wright played in Orsi but he could not get a shot away, so no goals at the break.

The young Dons had maybe been a bit sluggish at times in the first half so it was no surprise after a few words by Paul Sheerin in the dressing room that they came out with renewed vigour in the second half. Scott Wright and Frank Ross both caused a lot of problems. On 47 minutes a Ross cross from the left found the head of Anderson but his header fails to beat the keeper. Two minutes later a great chance for the Dons to take the lead when a Robson corner was met perfectly by McKenna but the captain could only head the ball wide.
Robson was now beginning to dictate the play. He played in a free kick which was just headed wide and then a dangerous Robson corner was frustratingly missed by everyone as the ball went right across the six yard box. Just before the hour mark Henry and McLennan replaced Thomas and Orsi. Then a Robson free kick was headed on by McKenna but looped up and the keeper caught it at full stretch. It had been all Aberdeen up to that point but Hibs very nearly made them pay for not scoring. On 61 minutes the Edinburgh side got the break of the ball on the edge of the area. The ball fell for El Alagui and great foot work from the Moroccan created room for shot inside the area but Lennox once again got out quickly to make a really good save. Top goalkeeping.
On 63 minutes the Dons appealed for hand ball inside the area after a fine run by Wright but the referee waved play on. Two minutes later another great run by Wright, he beat a couple of players on the edge of the area but his shot was saved by the keeper. On 69 minutes Robson played a great long diagonal ball to release McLennan but his shot across the keeper went just wide. Then on 72 minutes the Dons broke the deadlock. From a throw in, the ball was played to Robson. He quickly played a ball to the back of the area which Norris did well to win. Arron then played an early ball in to Frank Ross who had a bit of space inside the area. Frank took a good first touch to create room for the shot before spinning away from the defender and then firing it past the keeper. It was a piece of real quality that ultimately decided the game.
Aberdeen then pushed for a second and with Hibs throwing bodies forward there was space for McLennan, Wright and Norris to run into. They looked the more likely to score but as the final whistle grew closer in was the visitors who were pushing hard, even though they were down to ten men after making all their subs and then someone got injured. Scott McKenna did a job for the first team on Saturday and again today he was the one winning some important headers. In the last two games the young Dons have lost two late goals which cost them a win and a draw but this afternoon they held out for the three points
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Lennox, Adejo, Harvie, Thomas (Henry 57), McKenna, Rose, Wright, Robson, Orsi (McLennan 57), Ross, Anderson (Norris 73).

Unused Subs: Craddock, Robertson, Culjak.

Bookings:  Ross (78).
Hibernian Teamsheet
Brennan, Dunsmore, Crane, Waugh, McGregor, Scott (Smith 79), Watson, Breen, El Alagui, Shaw (Peters 75), Sinclair (Murray 75) Subs: Costello, Donaldson.

Bookings:  Dunsmore 83
Venue: Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead