Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 0 - 3 Dundee United

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 1 Dundee United

SPFL Development League
Dundee United scorers: Coote 21, McMeekin 61, Davie 90+2

27/02/2017 | KO: 14:00

After last week's loss to Development League leaders Hibernian, the Young Dons travelled to Peterhead to face a Dundee United team currently lying second from the foot of the table. The Tannadice babes had edged out their Pittodrie counterparts in a five goal thriller in Brechin earlier in the season so a keenly contested game looked to be on the cards. Paul Sheerin's starting eleven saw Robbie Mutch in goal behind the back four of Joe MacPherson, Harlain M'Bayo, Sam Roscoe and Toby Wells. Jamie Henry, making only his second appearance of the season after a long term injury was in the heart of midfield alongside skipper Aaron Norris with Chris Antoniazzi and Connor McLennan the wide men. Young Ethan Ross was deployed just behind the main striker David Dangana.
United's lineup included the experience of Sean Dillon, Coll Donaldson and Stewart Murdoch.

The game kicked off on bright sunshine and both sides enjoyed spells of possession without creating anything in front of goal. United captain Allerdice had the first shot at goal on 7 minutes but his 20 yard effort was well off target. McMeekin broke well down the right but his dangerous ball across the six yard box found no takers. The winger created a great opening for Coote after 11 minutes but Mutch blocked the striker's close range shot well. United came within a whisker of scoring on 14 minutes when Robson's cutback from the left was fired off the bar and behind by the dangerous McMeekin. The United man will feel he should have scored.
Toby Wells tried his luck with a free kick from 25 yards but the wall stood firm and the ball was deflected wide for a corner. The initial cross was cleared but when the ball came back in Ethan Ross had a shot from the edge of the box which was easily saved by Long. United took the lead on 21 minutes when Coote picked up a long free kick and went round Mutch before slotting ball home. Quick thinking from Coote but an avoidable goal from a Dons perspective.
The Dons were struggling to make an impression on the experienced United defence but Jamie Henry took advantage of a slip in midfield to stride forward and fire in a shot but it was blocked away to safety. With five minutes of the half left a quick break by Taylor saw him play in Chalmers whose curling left footed effort was expertly tipped around the post by Mutch. Robson almost doubled the United tally on the stroke of half time but his header from Davie's pinpoint cross was just too high.

A tough opening forty five for the Dons, the main positive being that they were still very much in the game with united having only scored once.

Half time Aberdeen 0 Dundee United 1

Sam Robertson replaced Connor McLennan for the second half slotting in at right back with Joe MacPherson moving into a central midfield role.

Eight minutes after the break United skipper Allerdice was replaced by Ritchie. Dangana was being well shackled by Donaldson and Dillon but was nevertheless always willing to chase as the Dons strived to find an equaliser. Just past the hour mark Dominic McMeekin made it 2-0 to United when he cut in from the left to fire a stunning shot across Mutch and into the far corner of the net.
Tyler Chicken replaced Jamie Henry a minute later, the midfield man having done well in his first game in a long time. Shortly afterwards Stewart Murdoch and Joe MacPherson found their way into referee Fordyce's book in quick succession for clumsy fouls. The Dons made their final change on 67 minutes when Jevan Anderson, son of former Dons skipper Russell, replaced Ethan Ross.
United continued to push forward at every opportunity and Mutch produced a superb diving save to deny Robson. Terrors coach Davie Bowman made a double switch on 79 minutes, Dailly and Apere coming on to replace Chalmers and Coote. Mutch saved bravely at the feet of Davie before a cross cum shot from Tyler Chicken had United keeper Long scrambling. Coll Donaldson became the game's third booking on 88 minutes although he could feel hard done by as he appeared to win the ball cleanly from Dangana.
Two minutes into added time United grabbed a third goal to put the icing on the cake of a solid performance, Davie being played in by substitute Dailly to fire the ball past Mutch from 12 yards.

It was a very youthful Dons side which finished the match and while they lacked nothing in desire and endeavour, the greater experience of the United side saw them through to a comfortable win. The positives to be taken from the game were the game time enjoyed by Jamie Henry on his return from injury and the experience gained by Ethan Ross, Tyler Chicken and Jevan Anderson.
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Mutch, MacPherson, Wells, Henry (Chicken 62), Mbayo, Roscoe, McLennan (Robertson 45), Antoniazzi, Dangana, Ross (Anderson 67), Norris.

Unused Subs: Robertson, Anderson, Craddock.

Bookings:  MacPherson.
Dundee United Teamsheet
Long, Davie, Robson, Allerdice (C) (Ritchie 53), Donaldson, Dillon, Chalmers (Apere 79), Murdoch, Coote (Dailly 79), Taylor, McMeekin. Unused substitute - Hornby
Venue: Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead
Referee: Chris Fordyce