Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 4 - 2 Kilmarnock

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 1 Kilmarnock

SPFL Development League
Aberdeen scorers: Ross 27, McLennan 43, Ross 50, Wright 88.
Kilmarnock scorers: Morrison 2, W Clark 90

14/03/2017 | KO: 18:00

Peterhead's Balmoor Stadium played host to the youngsters of Aberdeen and Kilmarnock as the sides currently eleventh and twelfth in the Development League table locked horns. The Dons hold a one point advantage over their Ayrshire counterparts but will be wary of a visiting side who beat them 4-1 at Rugby Park earlier in the season. The Dons starting eleven showed two changes from last week's narrow loss at Hamilton, Robbie Mutch and Bruce Anderson replacing Neil Alexander and Chris Antoniazzi who took a place on the bench.

The game kicked off in blustery conditions and Killie struck after only 90 seconds Morrison turning a free kick from the left past Mutch. The home side almost snatched an equaliser in the third minute when McLennan latched on to a Wells cross but his hooked shot hit the keeper's left hand post and rebounded to safety. A frantic start to the game but the Dons will be really disappointed to have conceded so early. A typically direct Scott Wright run won the Dons a corner on 12 minutes but Frank Ross's flag kick was snatched by the strong wind and blown behind for a goal kick. The Dons were enjoying plenty of possession but despite some bright play by Anderson and McLennan could not find a way of breaching the Kilmarnock defence.
Determined play from Wright in the 27th minute saw him feed the ball through to Frank Ross who took the ball wide of the Kilmarnock defence before firing a fine left foot shot past Lyle to snatch a deserved equaliser. A fourth goal of the season for the midfielder who has been on the bench for the first team in recent weeks. The Dons were playing some attractive football but Kilmarnock were dogged in defence and ensured keeper Lyle was not having too much to deal with. On 43 minutes brilliant play down the left by Frank Ross almost saw him wriggle into a shooting position but his attempt at goal was blocked for a corner. From Ross's flag kick Connor McLennan rose well to power a header into the net to give Aberdeen a lead their first half play merited. Connor has now found the net six times in the Development League. A good fightback from the Dons who recovered well from an early setback to deservedly lead 2-1 at the interval.

The visitors brought Curtis on for goal scorer Morrison at half time and his through ball sent William Clark racing in on goal but great defending by Harlain Mbayo, celebrating his 19th birthday, snuffed out the danger. On 50 minutes it was 3-1 to the dons, Wright and McLennan combining to create the chance for Frank Ross whose right foot shot ripped into the net past a helpless Lyle. A minute later and Frank was a whisker away from a hat trick as his shot crashed to safety off the post.
Aberdeen were really strutting their stuff now and Scott Wright will feel he should have made it four after some fine play from Seb Ross and Bruce Anderson. Joe MacPherson was next to threaten the Kilmarnock goal but his header from Frank Ross's deep cross was just wide. Despite the bitterly cold weather the action on the park was great to watch. Another great run by Frank Ross saw him drag a left foot shoot just wide as Killie struggled to contain the Dons attack.
Both sides made change just after the hour, Jevan Anderson and David Dangana replacing roscoe and McLennan for Aberdeen while Killie's McLevy came on for McLean. Visiting skipper Lewis Clark was booked in the 64th minute for a foul on Dangana. McLevy nearly got past Mutch in the 69th minute as the pair raced for a through ball but Toby Wells covered back well to clear. The sub again threatened a couple of minutes later when he fired the ball in from the right but Jevan Anderson showed good positional sense to head clear for a fruitless corner. The visitors had come back into the match well after the Dons threatened to overrun them.
Both sides made their final changes on 78 minutes as J P McQueen came on for McDonald for killie while Lewis Hutchison took the place of Bruce Anderson in the home ranks. Hutchison nearly made an instant impact seeing his close range shot blocked on 80 minutes as the Dons pressed for a fourth goal. That goal eventually arrived on 88 minutes Scott Wright latching on to a loose ball at the edge of the area to thunder a left foot shot past Lyle - his 12th goal of the campaign. Killie grabbed a consolation goal right on the full time whistle as William Clark found the net.

A very entertaining game which saw the Dons play some fine football despite conceding right at the start and at the end. Frank Ross and Scott Wright showed their class throughout but it was fine team performance.
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Mutch, MacPherson, Wells, Ross, Mbayo, Roscoe (Anderson 61), Wright, Henry, McLennan (Dangana 61), Ross, Anderson (Hutchison 78).

Unused Subs: Craddock, Thomas, Robertson, Antoniazzi.
Kilmarnock Teamsheet
Lyle, T Queen, Lidington, Wilson, L Clark (C), Dempsie, Whittaker, McDonald (JP McQueen 78), Morrison (Curtis 45), W Clark, McLean (McLevy 61).   L. Clark
Venue: Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead
Referee: David Watt