Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 2 Strathclyde

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 1 Strathclyde

Aberdeen scorers: Davidson.
Strathclyde scorers: Walker, McShea

25/09/1905 | KO: 15:30

After the keen excitement of the morning contest at Pittodrie, the attendance at the afternoon event between Aberdeen A and Strathclyde was wonderfully large and enthusiastic. The Glasgow team was recognized as crack juniors, and Aberdeen A being represented chiefly by local juniors, a stiff game was anticipated. The teams were:- Aberdeen A: Herd; Robertson, Emslie; Laing, Findlay, Thompson; Harvey, Bothwell, Davidson, Macdonald, Bissett.
Strathclyde: Fraser; Caddieson, Forsyth; Leitch, McShea, Cameron; Mackie, J. Lindsay, Walker, Dow Dow, W. Lindsay.
Referee - Mr. Peter Simpson, Aberdeen.

The start was characterised by even play, and at first it seemed that the strangers were to assume the upper hand, but the local combination found their positions with remarkable aptitude, and soon had the leather whizzing about Fraser's ears. The initial point, however, fell to the strangers, and a drive at close quarters from Walkers foot placed Aberdeen one goal down. The Reds then secured possession for a lengthy period, and by dint of hard fighting and good combination worked their way persistently into Glasgow territory. The equaliser was bound to come soon, and after repeated efforts, Davidson claimed the honour, banging the sphere hard into the net at close range. The remainder of the half saw Aberdeen maintaining the pressure, but the interval arrived with the teams on a level footing.

On resuming Aberdeen at once forced the game, but were kept well in hand by the Strathclyde's defence. The visitors' left got away, but Robertson cleared. Walker passed the backs and was making for Herd, but Thompson got in front of him and kicked out. Mackie accepted a pass from the centre and made tracks for the goal but his parting shot went past. A corner was awarded the Strathclyde, but it proved of no avail. The visitors still gave the Aberdeen backs some trouble. Herd was called upon to save hot shots from Mackie and Dow. Play was transferred to the visitors' end, but the ball was again worked up the field, and a corner was given against Aberdeen, but nothing resulted. Strathclyde now had most of the play, and McShea put his side one up. He shot from close in, and Herd had no chance of saving. Aberdeen's play was rugged, but towards the finish livened up a bit, and Fraser had to save a hard drive from Bissett. The game ended in a victory for the visitors by two goals to one. The gate money amounted to £11.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 26th September 1905

Strathclyde Teamsheet
Fraser; Caddieson, Forsyth; Leitch, McShea, Cameron; Mackie, J. Lindsay, Walker, Dow Dow, W. Lindsay
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. Peter Simpson, Aberdeen
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen