Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 0 Inverness Thistle

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Inverness Thistle

Aberdeen scorers: Towns, Robertson.

22/04/1911 | KO: 15:30

These teams met at Pittodrie on Saturday afternoon before a fair attendance. The following were the teams:-

Aberdeen A: Greig; Hannah, Macfarlane; R. Findlay, Watson, Low; Hay, Towns, Robertson, Edgar, Neilson.
Inverness Thistle: Simpson; Wilson, Vass; T. Fraser, Galliers, Storm; McIntosh, Watt, W. Fraser, Sutherland, McLeod.

In the first half the visiting team had to fight against a slight breeze and a brilliant sunshine. The Invernessians kicked off, and during the first few minutes some exciting play was witnessed, the visiting team's goalkeeper having to deal with some rather swift shots. The game had not been long in progress before Towns opened the scoring for the home team. The Inverness men were fortunate in having Simpson as goalkeeper, but it was largely due to his find saving that the score was not increased. Watt at close quarters missed a great chance for Inverness. Following this Edgar gave Simpson and anxious time, but no further scoring was affected. After some midfield work, Watt got the ball, but failed to score, sending it over the crossbar. Some pretty even play was witnessed up to half-time, when the score was - Aberdeen A, 1, Inverness Thistle 0.

Early in the second half Aberdeen were awarded a penalty. Hannan took the kick, and failed, and the thistle rushing eastward, Greig was immediately called upon to save. A minute later the Aberdeen custodian had again to accept himself, and made a clever save from a great try by Watt. Then McLeod called Greig out, and afterwards Aberdeen invaded, and Robertson struck the bar with a good shot. After this, played travelled rapidly from end to end, and in a trice Greig was once more called upon, but did all that was required of him. Neilson had a great cross, which looked like piercing the goal, but Wilson cleared cleverly after Simpson was practically beaten. Continuing the pressure, Aberdeen again got too close quarters, and Robertson, with a fine opportunity, sent the ball over the bar. For some time Aberdeen did all the pressing, and had several good tries, but the thistle defence prevailed. Robertson made another glaring mess with a low shot at close quarters. At length, after several attempts to score, from a fine centre by Neilson, Robertson headed the ball past Simpson, and Aberdeen stood two up. Simpson, who had been cheered all along for his clever saving, was again called upon to save some fast shots. After this play was dangerously near the Inverness goal, but no further scoring was effected.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 24th April 1911

Inverness Thistle Teamsheet
Simpson; Wilson, Vass; T. Fraser, Galliers, Storm; McIntosh, Watt, W. Fraser, Sutherland, McLeod
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen