Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Clyde 0 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Clyde 0 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Rankin.

21/04/1923 | KO:

Rankin's Deciding Goal

There was little of an exciting nature at Shawfield Park, Glasgow, where Aberdeen beat Clyde by a goal. The wind proved very troublesome, and neither set of forwards could control the ball. Aberdeen had the assistance of the wind in the first half, but their shooting was poor, and it was near the interval before Rankine succeeded in getting the ball past Shingleton. In the second half Clyde did a lot of attacking, but Aberdeen's defence proved too strong, Hutton in particular giving a fine display. The attendance would be about 5000.

Source: The Scotsman, 23rd April 1923

The Aberdeen first eleven concluded their away League fixtures on Saturday in very satisfactory fashion, Clyde being beaten at Shawfield by the only goal. The game was spoilt by the gale, and with the conditions anything but congenial it was not surprising there were less than 5000 spectators. Play never reached a high standard, but in that they were nippier attack and accounted for the major share of the attacking, and were the better balanced team, Aberdeen well deserved their victory.
The only goal was scored three minutes before the interval, when in a determined Aberdeen attack, Rankin headed a high ball into goal. Shingleton jumped and with one hand endeavoured to deflect the ball over the bar. He misjudged, however, and the ball found the net.
Blackwell, in the Aberdeen goal, was really only seriously tested on two occasions. Hutton was the outstanding back on the field, his tackling being a feature of the game. Forsyth, his partner, was erratic. The half-backs contributed largely to the victory of their side, Milne playing strongly throughout. Rankin was easily the best forward on view, and Moir, outside right, played well throughout. Miller, if weak near goal, distributed the play well, and Smith and Grant executed much clever work.
In the Clyde team, did well, although they should have averted the only goal. Cowan was the better back, and Forrest the pick of a moderate trio of half-backs. The attack played poorly throughout, only Brown and Culley occasionally taking the eye.
Aberdeen had considerable assistance from the gale in the first half. Clever constructive play by Robertson gave Miller an early chance, but he delayed to shoot and lost possession. Shortly afterwards, however, the Aberdeen centre forward was well on the target with a fast shot, which Shingleton cleared. A favourable chance was lost for Aberdeen when Smith shot high over after cutting in. Following this the Clyde goalkeeper had to leave his charge to field a centre from the Aberdeen left winger just as Miller jumped to meet the ball. Dilatoriness by Forsyth nearly led to the downfall of the Aberdeen goal. He lost possession to Brown, who raced ahead and delivered a fast grounder, which Blackwell at full length was able to deflect, and MacLachlan, standing by, completed the clearance. After this the Clyde forwards often assailed the Aberdeen defence, and Hutton repeatedly took the eye with brilliant clearances under pressure. Subsequently the Aberdeen attack again got going, and Shingleton had to save a weak shot by Miller, who later sent wide. Moir lobbed the ball across the home goal, but his colleagues were not in position. Rankin who was easily the best of the Aberdeen forwards, carried the ball up the left and from short range, shot with great force, for Shingleton to bring off a fine save, and later Chambers was stunned when a terrific shot by Milne struck him on the head. Towards the interval the Aberdeen forwards were rampant. Rankin headed the only goal, and immediately afterwards just missed with a brilliant shot, which Shingleton could not have saved, and the keeper twice cleared good tries by Miller. Aberdeen easily deserved their interval lead of one goal to nothing.
In the opening stages of the second half Aberdeen were kept defending, and Hutton twice earned plaudits for brilliant recoveries. There were considerable midfield passages, and with the high wind the players found great difficulty in keeping the ball inside the touch lines. Forcing play by Grant and Rankin had the Clyde goal in danger. Moir sent a strong shot against the goalkeeper, and after Grant had met the rebound, Shingleton was just able to deflect the ball round the post. Crosses by Smith added to the difficulties of the Clyde defence, and Shingleton did well to field a high ball from Moir. After this both defences were harassed in turn, but Aberdeen always looked more likely to score. Grant, Rankin, Miller, and Moir all had shots blocked, and the Pittodrie attack moved much more smoothly than that the home team. In an individual rush, Brown came very near to equalising for Clyde, but Blackwell ran out from goal and kicked the ball from his feet. In the closing stages play was keen, with Aberdeen more than holding their own.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal 21st April 1923

Clyde Teamsheet
Shingleton; Cowan, Farreil; Rae, Forrest, Chambers; Fraser, Ballantyne, Brown. Culley, Lawson
Attendance: 5,000
Venue: Shawfield Stadium, Glasgow
Referee: A. Russell, Glasgow