Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

St. Johnstone 0 - 3 Aberdeen

HT Score: St. Johnstone 0 - 2 Aberdeen

Aberdeen scorers: Rooney 31, Christie 44, Anderson 84.

01/07/2017 | KO: 15:00

Pre-season Up and Running as Familiar Face Has Cameo

Pre-season friendly | St Johnstone 0 Aberdeen 3

Rooney, 32, Christie 43, Anderson 85

Derek McInnes named two trialists in his squad for the Dons first pre-season friendly of the season of 2017/18. German Berkay Dabanli and former Don Kevin McNaughton were both named on the bench. Kevin, who is a good friend of Joe Lewis, has been training with the Dons this week for his fitness.

A strong looked Aberdeen side which contained new boys Greg Tansey and Greg Stewart dominated the first half. They took the lead on 32 minutes when a mistake at the back was pounced on by the ever alert Adam Rooney who rounded the keeper and a defender before rolling the ball into the empty net in front of a delighted 1,000 strong Red Army. On the stroke of half time Ryan Christie headed home a Logan cross after a fine move.

Just after the hour mark Derek McInnes made nine changes as he fielded a second team. Those players also impressed and Bruce Anderson fired home a third with five minutes to go.

match report

Aberdeen lined up with a back four of Logan, O'Connor, Reynolds and Considine. In midfield it was Stewart, Shinnie, McLean and Tansey with Christie just in behind Rooney. St Johnstone did not start any of their players who started the Europa League game on Thursday.

Considering it was the first outing of the pre-season period, the Dons looked sharp in the opening stages.
In the 8th minute McLean aimed a training ground free kick to Logan who jumped well at the back post. The ball was then crossed for Considine and his looping header was taken under his cross bar by Alan Mannus in the Saints goal.

In the 10th minute a beautiful long ball sprayed by McLean opened up the Saints. Considine again picked out Logan at the far post and when his cross was blocked we had the first corner of the game. A minute later good interplay by Logan and Stewart gave the right back room for a cross which was just a little too strong. Then Rooney latched onto a flick on and fired just over.

In the 13th minute Christie fired in a shot from a very tight angle. He caught the ball very cleanly and in the end Mannus was forced to make a smart stop. A minute later a slick move saw Tansey have a shot blocked - frustratingly Shinnie had peeled away and was in space but the ball could not find its way to the skipper.

Then St Johnstone threatened for the first time when Craig Thomson got in between Considine and Lewis. The big keeper went all the way to the edge of the box and when Thomson went down the home side appealed for a penalty but Lewis had pulled out of the challenge and there was no contact. A couple of minutes later Joe made a fine stop when he tipped a powerful Chris Kane shot over the bar.

There were a few stray passes in the opening 20 minutes which could certainly be excused considering the players had only started back five days ago.

Greg Tansey was always looking to play a forward pass whenever in possession. He played a couple of nice balls in behind and in the 25th minute delivered a ball which was not far from picking out the run of Rooney. McLean then played a great ball to release Christie who stepped inside right back Arron Comrie but centre half Liam Gordon did well to come across and cover.

On the half hour mark hesitation at the back allowed Chris Kane to nip in between Logan and O'Connor. The striker had a great chance as he was one on one with Lewis but the keeper did very well to get off his line so quickly and managed to smother the ball as Kane tried to shoot.

On 32 minutes Aberdeen took the lead.

Centre half Jason Kerr was slack with a pass at the back. Adam Rooney was very alert to nip in and take the ball off him. The striker then showed great composure to dummy Mannus and round him. The striker he also left Liam Gordon on the ground as he dummied the defender as well before rolling the ball home.

After 36 minutes the lively Craig Thomson was given a chance after Aberdeen had been a bit careless in possession but O'Connor made a brilliant tackle.

Aberdeen then enjoyed some good possession before the break and increased their lead on the stroke of half time. Good build up play, with Tansey heavily involved, eventually resulted in the ball being played wide to Logan. The right back had time and he delivered the perfect cross which was met by Christie who headed home. A fine goal to end an encouraging forty-five minutes of football from the new look Dons.

At half-time the only change from the visitors saw Miles Storey replace Greg Stewart.

The Perth side had a chance to pull a goal back on 46 minutes when a second cross from a corner went all the way through to Jason Kerr but he fired wide.

The Dons then had a little spell of pressure and won a corner. Then for the next ten minutes there was little action of note and neither team threatened. The game was still being played at a reasonable pace but there were a few misplaced passes. On 56 minutes Christie burst forward. He was possibly the pick of the players on show today. His little pass forward very nearly found Shinnie.

On the hour mark the home side brought on Watson, Wotherspoon and Hurst. Then on 63 minutes Aberdeen made nine changes.

Aberdeen 's second XI lined up with a back four of McNaughton, Dabanli, McKenna and Harvie. Ross and Storie were in central midfield with Anderson on the left and McLennan on the right. Stockley and Storey were paired up front and Lewis, the only surviving player was handed the captain's armband.

The subs helped bring the game to life again.

On 65 minutes Storey and Stockley almost got on the end of a perfect Harvie cross. Then Anderson tried to curl a shot into the top corner, it just went over. Storey then set up Stockley who from the edge of the area fired just over.

On 70 minutes a fine run from Bruce Anderson created a chance for Ross who was about 20 yards out. He steered a low shot into the bottom corner and Mannus had to produce a brilliant save to keep it out. It would have been a good goal as it was a nice move.

Aberdeen were dominating the later part of the game.

After that the game petered out a bit but a number of the Aberdeen youngsters can be happy with their performances especially Bruce Anderson who completed the scoring with five minutes to go. Stockley played it in from the left and the ball landed at the feet of young Bruce who hammered a shot into the roof of the net.

Aberdeen starting XI: Lewis, Logan, Shinnie, Considine, O'Connor, Reynolds, McLean, Stewart, Rooney, Tansey, Christie.

Subs: Rogers, Trialist (McNaughton), Trialist (Dabanli), Stockley, Storey, McKenna, Harvie, Storie, McLennan, F Ross, Anderson, Campbell.

Subs on: Storey on 46; McNaughton on 63, Dabanli on 63, Stockley on 63, McKenna on 63, Harvie on 63, Storie on 63, McLennan on 63, Ross on 63, Anderson on 63.

Subs off: Stewart off 46; Logan off 63, Shinnie off 63, Considine off 63, O'Connor off 63, Reynolds off 63, McLean off 63, Tansey off 63, Christie off 63, Rooney off 63.

St. Johnstone Teamsheet
Mannus, Comrie (Watson 60), Kerr, Gordon, Tanser, Millar (Wotherspoon 60), Davidson, McLean, Thomson, Scougall (G Hurst 60), Kane (Callum Hendry [Trialist] 80). Unused Subs: M Hurst, Alston, Shaughnessy, Craig, Cummins.
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Lewis, Logan (McNaughton 63), Shinnie (Ross 63), Considine (Harvie 63), O'Connor (Dabanli 63), Reynolds (McKenna 63), McLean (Storie 63), Stewart (Storey 46), Rooney (Stockley 63), Tansey (McLennan 63), Christie (Anderson 63).

Unused Subs: Rogers, Campbell.
Attendance: 1,939
Venue: McDiarmid Park, Perth
Referee: Don Robertson