Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Third Lanark 2 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Third Lanark 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Third Lanark scorers: McInally, McInally
Aberdeen scorers: Smith.

20/10/1923 | KO:

Third Lanark's Relentless Attack

Although Third Lanark deserved their narrow victory over Aberdeen at Cathkin Park, great praise must be given the Aberdeen defence, who, especially in the second half, stood up gallantly to a relentless attack. Hutton, the Aberdeen right back, has never excelled his display in this game. The first half was mostly in favour of Third Lanark, but weakness in front of goal spoiled several excellent chances. Aberdeen's forwards always looked capable of scoring with their quick dashes, and from one of these Smith beat Jarvie. Third Lanark had to struggle hard for the equaliser, which was headed by McInally near the interval. Thirty-six minutes after the cross-over, McInally scored the winning goal. The ball came off the bar from his first shot, and before Hutton could clear the Third Lanark centre dashed in and flashed it into the net. Attendance, 10,000.

Source: The Scotsman, 22nd October 1923

Aberdeen were on the losing side at Cathkin Park, Glasgow, where Third Lanark beat them by 2 goals 1. On a fine afternoon there were 10,000 spectators, and these were treated to a hard and fast game, in which the football did not touch a high standard.
Third Lanark were first to make progress, Walker sending over from an awkward angle. Hillhouse followed with a corner which he misplaced, and at the home end McCormack nearly let Miler through from a pass back, but Jarvie managed to redeem the mistake. After this Walker shot high, and Mclnally after a clever dribble also sent over. The Aberdeen forwards adopted open tactics, and Jarvie had to clear a swerving ball from Rankin, and Grant when well-placed shot against Brown. For a time Hutton and Forsyth were kept busy defending until Miller got away. He moved over to the right, and after drawing the defence, skipped the ball ahead to Grant. The latter carried for some distance, and when tackled sent the ball across, and Smith lying unmarked just inside the penalty area gave Aberdeen the lead with a left foot drive. Following this Aberdeen were kept defending. Blackwell had to deal with several ticklish shots, and several flag kicks to the home team kept the Aberdeen goal in the danger area. McInally and Walker both had misdirected shots, but ultimately during a scrimmage following a flag kick placed by Reid, McInally forced the ball into the Aberdeen net. Good work by Moir gave Miller a chance, but the centre-forward shot weakly past. McInally, for Third Lanark, twice manoeuvred cleverly to shoot over. Towards the interval, when they kept swinging the ball about, Aberdeen attacked strongly. Jarvie had to field a high ball from Moir, and Grant and Jackson had tries which went over the bar.


Third Lanark resumed without Findlay, who appeared with his forehead stitched. Until they returned to full strength, Third Lanark adopted offside tactics, and the policy repeatedly nullified promising moves by Aberdeen. Blackwell was not neglected, and, after conceding a flag kick, had a smart save off Walker's head. Hutton charged down a shot by McInally, and at the other end Jarvie was called into action by Jackson. Later, Moir, from the touch-line caused Jarvie to save below the bar, and several Aberdeen players claimed that the keeper had allowed the ball to cross the line. Their appeal was not sustained, however. Hutton was cheered far superb bit of tackling against McInally, and Blackwell had to clear from Blair. Grant got up to net for Aberdeen, but the point was disallowed because of an offside infringement. Play continued fast from end to end. Blackwell fielded from Reid, and Grant had a drive deflected by Brown, and, later, Jackson missed with a capital shot. Nine minutes from the close Third Lanark obtained the winning goal. McInally dispossessed Hutton when the latter was in the act of clearing, and from short range shot the ball against the underside of the crossbar, from which it rebounded into the net. After this Aberdeen strove desperately to get level. In the closing stages Davidson went to outside right, Grant to right half, and Moir to inside right for Aberdeen, but although the side attacked strongly, the equaliser was denied them.
On the Aberdeen side defence was once again ahead of attack, Blackwell, Hutton, Jackson and MacLachlan being outstanding. In the attack, Moir and Smith were best. For Third Lanark, McCormack, Brown, Cringan, McInally, and Walker were best.

Source: Press & Journal, 22nd October 1923

Third Lanark Teamsheet
Jarvie; McCormack, Brown; Findlay, Cringan, McKenna; Reid, Blair, McInally, Walker, Hillhouse
Attendance: 10,000
Venue: Cathkin Park, Glasgow
Referee: T. Dougray, Bellshill
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride