Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 1 Partick Thistle

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Miller, Mutch.
Partick Thistle scorers: Lambie (pen)

10/11/1923 | KO: 15:00


Aberdeen on play thoroughly deserved their victory over Partick Thistle at Aberdeen. The 14,000 spectators did not see play so clearly as usual on account of a heavy mist. Aberdeen had a goal disallowed for offside, and Partick Thistle were awarded a "penalty" for Hutton handling the ball. Lambie kicked a goal. The Aberdeen goal scorers were Miller and Mutch. For Partick Thistle the best players were Thomson, Wilson, Lambie, Hair, and Ballantyne, and for Aberdeen outstanding men were Hutton and Forsyth, who were great in defence, and Miller and Moir.

Source: The Scotsman, 12th November 1923

Aberdeen gave a bright display at Pittodrie, where they beat Partick Thistle by 2 goals to 1. Owing to the dullness of the atmosphere, the kick-off was ten minutes before the advertised time, and although there were only 8000 present the start, it was estimated that the attendance had increased to 14,000 before the game had progressed far.
Thistle made headway at the start, and Jackson, in attempting clear, conceded a corner, which was cleared. Miller let Smith away, and after the winger had made ground, he returned the ball in front of goal, and in a scrimmage Miller shot it into the met to give Aberdeen an early lead. Subsequently the home forwards showed clever combination, and the Thistle half-backs and backs were kept busy defending. Ness twice raided the home lines, but on each occasion Forsyth pulled him up. Smith and the home extreme wings were particularly lively, and their centres gave the Thistle defence much trouble. Thomson on two occasions had to leave his goal to field and when beset by opponents. He had one excellent save from Smith. Hair at centre-forward for the Thistle made numerous attempts to get through, and once delivered a hard drive, which Blackwell was just able to deflect, and Grant completed the clearance. The bulk of the play, however, was in Thistle territory, and the Aberdeen forwards continued to dominate the game. Moir, in a good position, shot rather wildly. Salisbury finished a Thistle attack by shooting over from long range, and Miller just missed with a raking first-time shot. Aberdeen continued to attack, and Mutch almost counted with a ball that grazed the bar. The exchanges were fast and keen, and stoppages for minor injuries to players were not infrequent. Donald came under the ban of the referee for his treatment of Moir. Towards the interval Thistle were equal to holding their own, but Blackwell had nothing of a particularly dangerous nature to deal with, and the lead was easily maintained.


Thistle resumed in promising fashion, and Rankin had to clear a dangerous centre from Salisbury. When Aberdeen got going they quickly got into touch with Thomson, who had to stop a hard drive by Jackson after Smith had forced a corner kick. McDonald, for Thistle had a chance, but hampered by Hutton, shot wide. Hair was ever a trier for Thistle, and a fine shot his glanced behind off the upright. A free kick was taken by Hutton from outside the penalty area, and he sent the ball with terrific force against the crossbar, Mutch heading over from the rebound. Aberdeen continued to attack, and following a centre by Moir, Smith shot hard against the outside of the side net. They were unfortunate to have what appeared a good goal disallowed for an offside infringement. Moir squared, and Smith, getting possession near the goal-line, returned the ball to Mutch who promptly netted. Success was not long denied the home team, and after Thomson had saved from Rankin. Mutch got his head on a ball from Smith to beat the keeper, who made a great effort to save.


In repelling a raid by Salisbury, Hutton handled the ball, and the referee awarded a penalty kick, a decision which was challenged by the Aberdeen players as it appeared the infringement occurred outside the penalty area. Lambie took the kick and scored with a lightning drive. In the closing stages the exchanges favoured the home team. Miller and Smith just missed the goal with great shots, and MacLachlan headed over from a corner kick. Thistle in a determined rally came very near to equalising, Forsyth heading out from under the crossbar after Blackwell been beaten. It was an interesting game to the end, with Aberdeen deserving their win.
On the home side, Hutton, Forsyth, Grant, and MacLachlan in defence, and Miller, Moir, and Rankin in attack showed fine form, and Thistle were best served by Thomson, Crichton, Lambie, Hair, Ballantyne, and Salisbury.

Source: Press & Journal, 12th November 1923

Partick Thistle Teamsheet
Thomson; Crichton,Wilson; Chatton, Lambie, Donald; Ness, Ballantyne, Hair, A. McDonald, Salisbury
Attendance: 14,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. McMahon, Motherwell