Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 2 Motherwell

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Motherwell

SPFL Development League
Aberdeen scorers: Roscoe 64.
Motherwell scorers: Scott 59, Gordon 78

29/01/2018 | KO: 14:30

Following a six-week winter shutdown, the Young Dons resumed their Development League campaign at Glebe Park as they welcomed a Motherwell side who currently sit fifth in the table, eight points behind Aberdeen, but having played two games less.

Motherwell had an early chance in the 5th minute when Archie Mair's mishit clearance gave Semple a chance but he lifted his effort over the bar. Semple had another opportunity four minutes later but dragged his shot just wide of the left-hand post. Aberdeen's first real attack saw the trialist play a fine ball in from the right but Chris Antoniazzi's lay off couldn't pick out David Dangana in the area.
The Dons won a free kick on the edge of the box after a foul on Dean Campbell but the wall stood firm and blocked Toby Wells' effort from the set piece. Motherwell skipper Turnbull tried his luck from 20 yards in the 19th minute but Mair saved comfortably. Despite the heavy pitch both sides were trying to play the game on the deck which was to their great credit.
A good break from MacLean saw the full back deliver a fine cross into the Dons danger area but Harlain Mbayo was perfectly positioned to effect an excellent clearing header. Although both sides were working hard, neither was able to create a clear-cut opening as the half hour mark was reached.
A dazzling run down the right from Antoniazzi almost created an opening for Seb Ross, but our top scorer couldn't get enough on the header to test Morrison. An excellent cross from Livingstone caused consternation in the Aberdeen defence but Mbayo again made a timely interception to clear for a fruitless corner.
Ethan Ross suffered a facial knock just before the interval but was able to resume after treatment. These teams shared the points in a goal-less encounter earlier in the season and the half time whistle sounded after a similar first half. Plenty of effort from both sides but neither keeper had been seriously tested.

Half time - Aberdeen 0 Motherwell 0

The visitors went straight on the offensive as the second period started, Turnbull shooting just over from the edge of the area. Seb Ross had the Dons' first effort of the half shortly after but again the shot was narrowly off target. Aberdeen were enjoying the bulk of the early possession but space was again at a premium in the final third and chances were few and far between. Paul Sheerin made a change in the 54th minute introducing Miko Virtanen for our trialist. MacLean headed wide from Livingstone's cross on 57 minutes as the visitors pushed forward then Scott received attention from the Well physio after coming off second best in a tussle with Mbayo.
The Steelmen controversially took the lead in the 59th minute. Campbell looked to be fouled in midfield but the ref waved play on and striker Scott took the ball in from the left to fire past Mair. Hastie replaced the ineffective Agyeman for Motherwell after 60 minutes. Three minutes later a foul on Antoniazzi won the Dons a free kick right on the edge of the box. Morrison couldn't hold Wells' free kick and Sam Roscoe was on the spot to rifle the rebound high into the net. The perfect response from the boys and game on!
Gordon replaced Semple for Well as the game moved into its final quarter. The fitness levels of both sides were going to be tested as the pitch began to cut up. Scott got goal-side of Mbayo but screwed his shot so far wide it went out for a throw. On 77 minutes, Mbayo was the first player booked after tangling with Hastie. Motherwell worked the free lick cleverly and Maguire headed off the bar. The ball wasn't cleared properly and Gordon stepped in to fire past Mair to make it 2-1 to the Well.
Dangana tested keeper Morrison as the Dons pushed for parity. As the clock ticked on to 85 minutes, Tyler Alexander came on for Antoniazzi. Aberdeen pressed forward at every opportunity with Mbayo and Roscoe pushed forward but the Well defence kept its shape well. Scott came off to be replaced by King as the game went into stoppage time. Archie Mair came up for a final minute corner then Alexander fired over but it was all to no avail as Motherwell held on for a narrow victory.
Motherwell Teamsheet
Morrison, MacLean, Livingstone, MacDonald, Maguire, Armstrong, Semple (Gordon 67), Turnbull (C), Scott (King 90), Agyeman (Hastie 60), Brown. Unused substitute: Ferguson (GK).
Venue: Glebe Park, Brechin