Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 1 Hibernian

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 1 Hibernian

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Grant 63.
Hibernian scorers: Ritchie (pen) 15

02/01/1924 | KO:

Aberdeen Draw with Hibernian. PENALTY GOAL FOR VISITORS.

A draw of one goal each was quite a fair reflection on the run of the play in the return match between Aberdeen and the Hibernians at Pittodrie. The ground was heavy. The exchanges in the first half were fairly equal, although Harper had slightly more to do than Blackwell. The only count of the period was a penalty taken by Ritchie for the Hibernians, as the result of McColl having been taken down by Jackson. In the second half Aberdeen were the more aggressive side, and Grant scored a spectacular goal from 20 yards out. The home team on several occasions came near taking the lead, but Harper in the visitors' goal was very reliable, and had several brilliant saves. For the Hibernians the outstanding players were Harper, McGinnigle, and Templeton, Miller, Ritchie, and McColl; and for Aberdeen, Hutton, Jackson, Davidson, Grant, and Smith.

Source: The Scotsman, 3rd January 1924

In a Scottish League match at Pittodrie yesterday, Aberdeen and Hibernian played a drawn game of one goal each. There were about 11,000 spectators. Both teams showed changes. In the Aberdeen side Forsyth was absent from left back and Jackson took his place, Dick from the reserves filling the vacancy at centre half. Rankin was unable to resume, and Grant crossed to inside left, Paton being inside right. On the Hibernian side, Dornan and Halligan were notable absentees.
Aberdeen attacked at the offset, Grant sending behind with an overhead kick. Hibs retaliated on the right, and Jackson twice sent into touch for safety. Aberdeen again came away in fine style. The Hibs' backs, however, were defending well, and a promising run ended in Dick sending over. Back again came the home forwards, and Harper did well to gather and clear a fast shot by Miller.
So far the defences proved superior to the attack, the Hibs' pair of backs being in good form, but they had need to be, against Aberdeen's rapidly-moving forward line. Smith got away as the result of a beautiful pass. He centred accurately in front of goal, and Templeton, the visitor's left back, in clearing, came in contact with Moir. The back was injured and required attention from the trainer. He recovered in a few minutes, however, and with both sides at full strength the contest developed on even lines.
Aberdeen took up the attack, and, after keen exchanges, Paton was slightly wide with a capital shot. Grant followed with a shot with his right foot, Harper saving finely, and at the other end Blackwell came into prominence by reason of a grand save from Ritchie. Play went from end to end. Harper's charge was in danger off a corner by Smith, and then Blackwell saved in grand style from McColl, who volleyed in a cross by Ritchie.
Dick at centre-half was showing to advantage, and frequently earned plaudits for his fine breaking up.

A Penalty "Goal.

With 15 minutes gone, Jackson appeared to bring down McColl within the penalty area, and from the spot kick Ritchie gave Hibernian the lead. After this the Edinburgh team's star was in the ascendency, and Blackwell, in saving from Murray, knocked the ball against the post, but was able to follow up and clear. The game moved fast. At the visitors' end Miller drove a free kick against Templeton's back. Then Grant had a great shot knocked down by Harper. Aberdeen kept up the attack, and Harper was kept busy.
He saved finely from Smith, and did well to knock down and clear a terrific free kick taken by Hutton from 30 yards' range. Aberdeen were rampant after this, and were unfortunate not to draw level. Moir swung over a centre, which Smith sent behind, and after Davidson just missed with a capital try, Paton hit the bottom of the upright with Harper well beaten. After this escape the Hibs got back to the attack, and Blackwell conceded a corner in saving from Ritchie. This was cleared, and at the other end Smith shot wide after worming into an inside position. Aberdeen continued to attack, and when Miller accidentally handled within the penalty area there were shouts of "penalty!"
These, however, were not justified, and Referee Dougray took no notice. Moir forced a corner, and Paton had a fine try rather luckily blocked by McGinnigle. Most of the play was at Harper's end" and the internationalist was kept busy for the most part, however, with balls that did not carry sting. Smith forced another corner off Miller, and the interval arrived with Aberdeen pressing and unlucky to be in arrears.

A Goal For Grant

The Edinburgh team had the better of the exchanges on resuming, and Walker nearly beat Blackwell with a grand shot, hold which the keeper had to reach backwards. Aberdeen ultimately got going, and first Smith and then Grant were baulked by Miller when attempting shots. The home team kept up the pressure, but misdirected passing led to their undoing.
Hutton went off on a long run, and beat man after man only to finish by shooting wildly over. Smith followed this up with an accurate centre, but Paton, with only Harper in front, shot high over and missed a fine chance. After this, Aberdeen were distinctly unlucky not to draw level. The referee refused a penalty for what looked a palpable case of handling, and in a series of scrimmages several of the Aberdeen players had shots rather luckily blocked by defenders. There was some hefty work in front of Harper, but McGinnigle and Templeton were determined. With 18 minutes gone a long-overdue equaliser arrived. Davidson manoeuvred for position and gave to Grant, who let go a magnificent shot, which gave Harper absolutely no chance from 20 yards' range.
Encouraged, Aberdeen attacked with great vigour, and Harper had difficulty in clearing from Grant again.
The exchanges continued to favour Aberdeen, and Harper saved in grand style from Paton, whose shot represented a good ten minutes of Aberdeen pressure. In a breakaway the Hibs conceded a corner, and Blackwell effected a nice save off McColl's head. This was followed by a great run by Ritchie, but Blackwell was again on the spot, and saved finely from the outside right, who had manoeuvred into the centre.
In the exchanges that followed neither side claimed advantage. Grant, who was shooting well, caused Harper to concede a corner, and following it, Smith shot wide with a first-timer. Smith followed with another great run and square, but Miller fell at the crucial moment, and Moir, attempt to recover, shot wide with a yawning goal in front of him.
Aberdeen often attacked in the closing stages, but failed get the lead.

Source: Press & Journal, 2nd January 1924

Hibernian Teamsheet
Harper; McGinnigle, Templeton; Kerr, Miller, Shaw; Ritchie, Dunn, McColl, Murray, Walker
Attendance: 11,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: T. Dougray, Bellshill
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead